Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a generic 3 inch short ram filter...and it's really dirty now.

I was wondering, is there anyway I can clean this myself with typical cleaning materials I have at home or can buy from the grocery store or auto store? Or does it HAVE to be a specialized 'filter cleaning kit'?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha thanks.

I was just curious if there were any DIY's for it. I'm not quite sure how the kits work...just clean with soap and water then a special oil of some sort?

Would a typical store like autozone carry this kit?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
yea anyplace that carrys k & n filters will carry it...

u know a dirty k & n filters better...service is normally 30k...

·
Registered
888 Posts
i think you're better off spending the extra bones for the K&N filter recharge kit; it lasts several cleanings and may last a while depending how often you recharge the filter. The 'special' oil acts as tack barrier to help the filtration process. A VERY mild detergent may be used sparingly BUT it must be cleaned out thoroughly and completely before adding the lubricant. K&N claims that using oil alternatives may cause damage to the rubber seals around the filter and using other conventional cleaners to the filter may cause it to distort and shrink.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
yeah flip just buy the kit... i got it and it comes with two bottles... one is the cleaner and one is the oiler....

don't use the oiler for your dirty home activities though... :tu:

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
Aesop Rock said:
don't use the oiler for your dirty home activities though... :tu:
shit, i was gonna say someting like dat lol

anyways, like everyone has already said, the K&N recharge kits are the best way to go. really cheap and will last a while....just don't over do the oiling cuz it gets all over the place :eek:

edit: oh yeah, make sure you have a lot of time to let the filter dry and shit too....cuz you can't really use anything to dry it (maybe except for a weaksauce hair dryer).

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha thanks guys....much appreciated, I'll search for one this weekend

ricky and Al : naughty you two...so effin naughty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts