Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
easy easy easy....a month ago I had to replace the WHOLE DAMN CALIPER :mad: Stupid shit locked up halfway and the piston wouldn't recess in all the way :mad: :p That wasn't THAT hard and the pads are a cinch :)

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
brakes are pretty easy. just don't forget the following :

- rubber gloves
- brake parts cleaner
- brake quiet or no squeal

You can find the directions in the $12 Haynes manual that you can pick up just about anywhere.

The stock pads contain asbestos which of course is harmful. So be sure to spray the parts down with the brake parts cleaner and use those gloves!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The calipers in the front simply flip up, they are hinged and you can then swap out the pads. It does not take very long at all, and remember to use Honda OEM pads, they AutoZone pads don't fit properly. When you install the pads, and pump the pedal to "lock" them in, you're gonna have to catch the extra brake fluid that's gonna leak out when you open the master cylinder cap.

·
Registered
445 Posts
you open the master cylinder cap because this releases all the pressure on the piston of caliper so later you could compress the piston to accomendate for the new brake pads size.

·
Registered
155 Posts
kommon_sense said:
I just got a rubber mallet and pushed the piston back in. I didn't beat it with the mallet, but just used it to apply even force to the piston...
That's what I do too, just press the piston back inside, its not very hard to do at all, any harm in that?

·
Registered
553 Posts
nope thats what the pros do, i never heard of this take off master cylinder stuff before.

They even make a tool for it, its a vice grip with a big square kinda thing for clamping, one side goes into the piston and the other against the other side for it to sqeeze.

·
Registered
271 Posts
yeha but if you dont uncap the master cylynder it will be hard as shit to compress the piston.

·
Registered
225 Posts
chzcake01 said:
is it very difficult/time consuming? dont feel like paying a shop all that for labor.
changing a lug nut? how hard it that?
It is actually quite easy, and a good learning expirence. I had my buddy help me because he works at a car shop and i just wanted him there to make sure i did not mess anything up. It was so easy, and there were only a couple of bolts that needed to come out, just dont forget to use that grease substance that comes with the pads.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I've gotten pads from autozone and mine work and fit fine. $15 for a pair is a lot cheaper than the $50 honda wants. Been on these pads for about 20k miles and not a problem so far.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
the master cylinder cap doesn't hold any pressure... so it won't make any difference in compressing the caliper with or without the cap on...
now, if you're talking about things done professionally... and not the quick way... when you compress the piston, u have someone open the bleeder screw, and then compress the piston. that way, you don't force any dirt, rust, or any particles up through the combination valve, or the abs modulator (if you have one) and cause possible failure later on...

·
Registered
359 Posts
it only takes about 10-20 minutes

1. remove 1 bolt on caliper
2. flip caliper up
3. pull old pads, stick new ones in (ebc are good)
4. open bleeder
5. push piston back in (c-clamp, disc brake tool $7.00)
6. close bleeder
7. flip caliper back down.
8. put bolt back in
9. done

most difficult part was jacking the car up and pulling wheels off

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
What about the part where you bleed the brake lines to get the air you may have inadvertinly put back in when switching the pads. and check the brake fluid to see if it's low after having the bleeder open while compressing the piston and bleeding the bubbles.

·
Registered
359 Posts
it isn't necessary. just because open the bleeder it won't suck air into it. when you push the piston back in you are forcing fluid out. you can bleed the brakes if you want but there is no need. unless you had someone press the pedal while changing them, there is no need.

Sorry!!! i forgot to say refill the brake reservoir and pump brakes to get them to firm back up. this job isn't a headache, it's almost like changing oil. EASY

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.