Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I found quite the interesting product here while searching through articles on CRX rust repair. There literally CF patches you can use to cover areas damaged by rust. Basicly you cut the cancer out, seal up the edges, apply patch, and paint over it.

They make a patch for the rear well, the whole wheel arch, or the whole rear quarter panel.

Here's a pic of the patch and an install, where the rust is fairly similar to mine. *Note, the cancer had not been cut out at this stage*

applied patch

I'm almost sold on this idea, but it seems somewhat like a band-aid, but not. I figure as long as your cutting it out, and essentially replacing sheet metal with carbon fiber. That sounds like it would be pretty rust free. And looks a lot easier to do than sheet metal. From what I've been reading, is that Honda metal is pretty thin, and hard to weld any sheet metal back into. Looks like a lot of the DIY body guys out there use the method of cutting out, and replacing with fiberglass. Everyone advised to stay away from Bondo, since it absorbs moisture and hence why the rust forms in the first place. Sortta like whats gone on with the Integra :mad:

To me, if your cutting it out and patching with a sealant on the newly exposed metal, it should be pretty soild for a few years at minimum. Which is as long as I'll prob. own the car. There slightly more expensive than sheet metal tho. I could get the sheet metal panels for $110 or these patches for $150.

so perhaps a fiberglass/CF treatment is in order. Thoughts? Anyone ever used these with any success?

· Registered
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It glues to the metal with an epoxy. Yes you can paint over it.

I'm hearing from others that its a waste and not the right way to do it, which is somewhat true, but I dont see it starting to rust again after you cut it all out and seal it.

· Registered
874 Posts
if your going to cut rust out, you might as well replace it with the original tried and tested metal.....otherwise replace the panel with full cf and do that right...this is half assed in both directions

pick one way and go with it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.