Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone knows the stock ignition timing specs for a 2000 honda civic EX...the d16y8 motor. someone told me its 15 degrees give or take 2 i think but then this paper said its between 10-14 degress btdc...so i'm confused...is it 15 or between 10-14?? if anyone knows please reply. thanks for the help.

· Registered
17 Posts
Most Civics call for 15deg btdc. We generally set to 18deg if the customer uses decent gas. If I were working on your car, I would probably set to 17-18.

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sak said:
The tag on the bottom of your hood should tell you. I belive its 16 degrees BTDC +/- 2 degrees instead of 15... but it might be different for a civic.
i called some dealership and they said it was 15 btdc +\- 2 degrees but this tech at like pep boys had this smogbook and said it was 12? i was like no that can't be right. so i had him set it at 15 degrees which is fine i guess. i checked the tag under the hood but it didn't say anything about where to set it at stock...but i looked at my this guys 2nd gen integ and it said 16 degrees...but my tag didn't say....

· Registered
1,633 Posts
00SilverCivicEx said:
i called some dealership and they said it was 15 btdc +\- 2 degrees but this tech at like pep boys had this smogbook and said it was 12? i was like no that can't be right. so i had him set it at 15 degrees which is fine i guess. i checked the tag under the hood but it didn't say anything about where to set it at stock...but i looked at my this guys 2nd gen integ and it said 16 degrees...but my tag didn't say....
Your tags should tell you. My wife's 90 civic does. Maybe all the tags under your hood or that specific one is gone. If so, get a Helm's manual to make sure its set to the correct timing.

Of course there is no problem with 15, just that most people prefer to have it set higher, like 18 degrees BTDC, which will require 91+ octane!

BTW, you should go by the tags under your hood because every car is different. My brother's 4-Runner is stock is set at like 10 degress BTDC +/- 2. So just because the tech guy at pep poys says its 12 in his smog book it doesn't mean your's has to be set at 12 degrees BTDC.

· Registered
404 Posts
I would recommend that you buy a Honda service manual:

www.helminc.com

The D16 engines are 12 deg +/- 2 deg BTDC. (The B16A2 is 16 +/-2 deg.)

There are four marks on the crankshaft. (Note, there is a gunsight-type thingy so that you can eliminate paralax when reading the position on the crankshaft with the timing light.)

Farthest to the right is TDC.

Then there is a cluster of three marks, one red (12 deg.) and two white (10 deg & 14 deg).

I've never really set mine beyond 14.

Set proceedure:

Remove the kick panel next to the passenger door (under the glove box). Behind it you will find a computer and a little green connecter plugged into a rubber "jack" with two wires coming out. Remove the green connector from the jack (Its not actually plugged into anything, its just there for safe keeping.) and bridge the two terminals with a small paperclip.

Start the car (the check engine light will be on - solid) and let it warm up until the radiator fan switches on once. Adjust timing by adjusting the distributor position (there are three mounting bolts to be loosened.) Advance is towards the back of the car, retard towards the front.

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shorthand said:
I would recommend that you buy a Honda service manual:

www.helminc.com

The D16 engines are 12 deg +/- 2 deg BTDC. (The B16A2 is 16 +/-2 deg.)

There are four marks on the crankshaft. (Note, there is a gunsight-type thingy so that you can eliminate paralax when reading the position on the crankshaft with the timing light.)

Farthest to the right is TDC.

Then there is a cluster of three marks, one red (12 deg.) and two white (10 deg & 14 deg).

I've never really set mine beyond 14.

Set proceedure:

Remove the kick panel next to the passenger door (under the glove box). Behind it you will find a computer and a little green connecter plugged into a rubber "jack" with two wires coming out. Remove the green connector from the jack (Its not actually plugged into anything, its just there for safe keeping.) and bridge the two terminals with a small paperclip.

Start the car (the check engine light will be on - solid) and let it warm up until the radiator fan switches on once. Adjust timing by adjusting the distributor position (there are three mounting bolts to be loosened.) Advance is towards the back of the car, retard towards the front.
yea the tech guy did say that the computer was trying to read the timing at 12...and the book did say 12...but then i called the dealership and they said it was 15 degrees....so i don't know...guess i'll put it to 12 degrees. yea maybe the tag under my hood is missing or something cause it doesn't say anything about the stock timing measurements....or maybe they just don't have one??? guess i'll just listen to the manual he had that said its suppose to be at 12 degree......

· Registered
108 Posts
00SilverCivicEx said:
i was wondering if anyone knows the stock ignition timing specs for a 2000 honda civic EX...the d16y8 motor. someone told me its 15 degrees give or take 2 i think but then this paper said its between 10-14 degress btdc...so i'm confused...is it 15 or between 10-14?? if anyone knows please reply. thanks for the help.
Taken from Haynes Repair Manual:

1. D15Z1....................16 degrees
2. D15B8....................12 degrees
3. D15B7 and D16Z6...16 degrees

There is a sticker on my D16Z6 hood, and it has 16 degrees +/- 2 degrees.

..................................................................................
1994 Honda Civic D16Z6. If you don't like it, SUCK it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.