Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've seen carbon fiber fenders for the 5th n' 6th gen civics, but i was wondering if anyone has ever seen carbon fiber fenders for the crx

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes they do, but why would you want them. I can see a carbon fiber hood, but fenders? They are made by Matrix and are sold by Summit Racing......
http://www.summitracing.com . The part number is.............GRM-15-702 Fits 88-91 CRX $ 699.95

I just happen to have the new sport compact catalog handy, so I looked it up.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Umm...cuz they're light

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
DAFeLUNG said:
Umm...cuz they're light
More like "Cuz they look cool". $700 for for some light fenders huh.....I'd rather have fiberglass and pay half as much or a tilt-up/lift-off glass front end for the same price. Better yet, stay legal and keep the foil-thick stock sheetmetal(yes, they will affect the collision safety of the car). The CF fenders will also need alot of finish work because I guarantee they wont fit like stock out of the box. There is also the distinct possibilty that they will turn yellow like some other CF hoods left in the sun/weather.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no bitch...cuz i'd be painting them red anyway. Dont ever assume that i'd be buying that to "look cool". The only damn thing that i would get to look cool is the jdm front end conversion n' the jdm rear lights. So dont assume anything...k

·
Registered
506 Posts
The CF or fiberglass fenders will not affect the safety of the car. fenders dont do a damn thing for safety. if anything hits your fender faster than 2 mph its going to ruin the fender, steel or otherwise. In a serious collision you/your car have no better chance of surviving with fenders or without.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
no offense but they are z3 fenders i hate when people put them on their car when they have a honda the dont do anything for u excet empty ur poket. u arent gonna loose that much weight any way the fenders are paper thin. and if ur all out race get a one peice front.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
its cheaper jes to buy fiberglass fenders since you are gonna paint them red anyways.....fiberglass is jes as lite as carbonfiber and alot of manufacturers dont make something fully carbon fiber. itll be fiberglass but itll be wrap in carbon fiber on the outside.

·
Registered
209 Posts
A carbon fiber hood I can see, but like I said, carbon fiber fenders? Like everyone said, there is not much weight savings, escpecially for the price you pay for them. I had to replace my fendersbecause when I bought the car, the steel ones were in bad shape and would have cost more to fix than they were worth - so I went with the Z3 fiberglass ones. Unfortunately, they did not fit that well when I first put them on the car. I had to do a lot of cutting and grinding to make them fit. The Z3 fenders look awesome as long as you follow a theme with the car. When my ride is painted and my new wheels are on, you will see what I mean. Though, if I had to do it again, I would probably just go back with steel fenders due to amount of work to make the fiberglass ones work. Just my thoughts.....

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
price isn't really an issue...cuz every single dime from my paycheck goes into my car, so its just a matter of saving. If i can drop 5 pds from the two fenders, i'll be happy. That plus a 10 pds from a hood, maybe 15 from a new exhaust n' header, a few more from a lightweight battery, new rims....its all adds up

·
Registered
442 Posts
PRICE ISNT REALLY AN ISSUE???!!!!???

YOU ARE COOL WITH DROPPING A POSSIBLE FIVE POUNDS FOR $700?????????????????????

I APOLOGIZE BUT I HAVE NEVER SAID THIS ON SHO OR SHC BUT...

YOUR AN IDIOT!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
selectscar said:
PRICE ISNT REALLY AN ISSUE???!!!!???

YOU ARE COOL WITH DROPPING A POSSIBLE FIVE POUNDS FOR $700?????????????????????

I APOLOGIZE BUT I HAVE NEVER SAID THIS ON SHO OR SHC BUT...

YOUR AN IDIOT!
well said

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no dick...i never said that i was going to pay 700 for fenders. I said i'm lookin to find anyone who makes them. And if i can find them for a good price, i'll go w/ those...if not, fiberglass. If i can find em for somewhere around the $300 range i'll get em, if not...i wont. It just in consideration so dont be an asshole about it

·
Registered
696 Posts
wtf is this? who gives a shit, it isn't your car. and it damn well isn't your money. this board is starting to suck because all this crap.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it isn't my car? who's name is it registered under? Who payed for the whole damn thing w/ cash? And besides my front rotors n' pads, everything on my car has been done w/ MY MONEY. That's right...my car is my accomplishment, and no one elses.

·
Registered
67 Posts
uh, dafelung, I think ultimx was talking to the other guy. any how, dropping weight is good, but just make sure you dont spend a bunch of bills on it. money that could go to suspension or other active go-fast stuff. sheet metal fenders do help with impact safety. the whole crumple zone thing. ever look into those FAL window kits? that looks like a good way to drop some pounds. summit (fags) carries them. lighter seats is another good way to drop fat. there's only so far you can go in the weight department for these cars before they become uncomfortable, choose wisely.

·
Registered
696 Posts
if carbon fiber/fiberglass is such and issue, then why are the z3 fenders made of fibergalss and or carbon fiber?

Yes, i was talking to the other guy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
cause it's cheaper to make them that way. the metal may be cheaper, but then that means they have to buy an expensive press to manu the parts as oppesed to a significantly cheaper mold for the fiberglass/cf parts. 99% of the stuff out there on the market today isn't street legal, especially in terms of road safety. it's just that the demand is so great, and not too much is ever shown that accidents are caused by modified rides so it's over looked.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
year...i haven't really looked into the TFAL kits, but Brian @ Prospeed Performance was talking to me about getting a lexan hatch. He said that it would drop a good 50 pds or so from the car. I was really interested until i saw his full drag integra. I mean...it runs 11's...but the lexan looked like lexan. I mean...if i get some lexan i dont want cops to be able to tell it is right away, being that it is illegal n' all. is there a tfal website?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts