Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about ditching my Neuspeed sports in the near future. Jut not happy with the 2 finger gap up front. The 1 tight finger in the rear is perfect!!

I know Bilstein states there shocks should not be used on a drop of NO more than 1.5". My front drop is 1.7" and rear is 1.5" and have no problems in the past 3 or so months.

Any of you have the Bilstein HD shocks on your Civic (or any Honda / Acura)? If so, what kind of springs are you running and how do you like the ride?

I am looking now for a 1 tight finger gap to 0 gap!!!

· Registered
323 Posts
I have never seen anything from Bilstein stating that their shocks should not be used on drops of more than 1.5" (KYB AGX and Tokico both void their warranties at 1.5", but not Bilstein as far as I can tell).

Anyway, I've got the HDs on my Teg with Prokits and they are very good shocks. They are as good quality as Konis, if not better. Hell, they invented the gas shock...

· Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bampf said:
I have never seen anything from Bilstein stating that their shocks should not be used on drops of more than 1.5" (KYB AGX and Tokico both void their warranties at 1.5", but not Bilstein as far as I can tell).

Anyway, I've got the HDs on my Teg with Prokits and they are very good shocks. They are as good quality as Konis, if not better. Hell, they invented the gas shock...
You know what, maybe it was KYB AGX that I am thinking about. Let me check my e-mail and see if I have the letter.......

I hope you are right though!!

What kind of drop are the Prokits anyhow?

· Registered
323 Posts
The Prokits lower an Integra 1.5" all around after all is said and done. The car doesn't really have the "lowered look" though, so if you are lowering for looks (or even partly for looks), then you may want to look at other alternatives (but you won't hear a negative word from me on these springs so far).

94honda, it's not really a good idea to use springs that were made for a different car...the weights of the car and the balance is different on each model, and the springs need to be designed with each specific car in mind...

· Registered
350 Posts
Using neuspeed sports, bilstein hd shocks on 97 accord. Very nice, firm but acceptable ride, not bouncy at all even after 30k+ miles. I mean firm as in you'll feel more of the road, but it still soaks up the bumps real well, and not harsh cuz they are still progressive rate. Bilstein i believe recommends not going 1.5" lower... but it will NOT void the warranty so it's all good. I believe kyb says specifically NOT to lower beyond or else warranty i void. Also, you'll still have about 2 finger gap with sports, about 2" drop after shocks and springs settle. You may want race, or sportline springs if you want it with 0 gap, but ride will be much more stiff.

· Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bmm89 said:
Using neuspeed sports, bilstein hd shocks on 97 accord. Very nice, firm but acceptable ride, not bouncy at all even after 30k+ miles. I mean firm as in you'll feel more of the road, but it still soaks up the bumps real well, and not harsh cuz they are still progressive rate. Bilstein i believe recommends not going 1.5" lower... but it will NOT void the warranty so it's all good. I believe kyb says specifically NOT to lower beyond or else warranty i void. Also, you'll still have about 2 finger gap with sports, about 2" drop after shocks and springs settle. You may want race, or sportline springs if you want it with 0 gap, but ride will be much more stiff.
And where the hell were you when I was researching all this before I bought the springs ;)

j/k

Yeah, I'm going to slam that shit!!! May even grab some Ground Controls :p

· Registered
94 Posts
I have the eibach pro-kit with bilstein shocks. I like my ride, it is pretty close to stock. THe eibach kit lowered my car 1.3 all around. They are a nice shock. Most the people I know that run bilstein shocks have a ride no lower then 1.5".

· Registered
94 Posts
Yeah I have a few pics I don't have anywhere to host them. If you give me your email address I can email you some

· Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
96GreenLS said:
Yeah I have a few pics I don't have anywhere to host them. If you give me your email address I can email you some
Go to clubphoto.com and set up an account. Takes a minute and then you can share them here or put one in your sig.
Everyone should have an account to host pics!! Everyone!!

· Registered
94 Posts
Here ya go. I am getting some new pics because my car is lower then it appears in these pics. But it gives you an idea. I have a 1 finger gap in the rear and a tight 2 in the front

· Registered
94 Posts
I got mine from shox.com for $349. They are stiffer then stock, but still pretty smooth. I don't think they are that hard, when you are getting through the twistes they get a lot stiffer then just crusing down the rode. The self adjusting is nice.

· Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
96GreenLS said:
I got mine from shox.com for $349. They are stiffer then stock, but still pretty smooth. I don't think they are that hard, when you are getting through the twistes they get a lot stiffer then just crusing down the rode. The self adjusting is nice.
I don't know what the spring / shock do for each other, but the combo together is Aweomse!!

I paid over $100 a piece for the HD's :rolleyes:

· Registered
323 Posts
The HDs are "self-adjusting" shocks which seems to be basically progressive shocks from what I've read of their explainations of the system.

Shocks and springs work together to control the up and down motion of the car. Shocks main job is to counteract the movement of the springs (not absorb shock) - a better word for shock absorbers is "dampers" because that's what they do. This stops the car from bouncing up and down over and over again after it hits a bump (ever notice those completely slammed cars that drive around almost constantly bouncing up and down? Well, that's from insufficient or blown shocks)...but it cannot counteract the spring too much, or the spring won't be able to do as good a job keeping the tires in contact with the road, so a balance is needed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.