Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,650 Posts
It's definately worth $300 (though it's closer to $400 once you include install and tuning) I gained close to 40hp in the midrange and about 8hp at the top end when I dyno tuned mine. There's no need to swap out internals with this unit, it's pretty much plug and play. Just make sure you have access to a dyno in your local area.

· Registered
75 Posts
SpanishRicer said:
I gained close to 40hp in the midrange and about 8hp at the top end when I dyno tuned mine.

40hp midrange, no way, thats crazy. How did yo make that much power from it......:confused: tell me so i can buy one tomorrow. didnt know it could make that much power

· Registered
4,134 Posts
please do a search.........this comes up every other day

search under my name for a good article

· Registered
75 Posts
because of how the lowcam's power starts to fall off....what does that mean, does he have aftermarket cams, and if so which kind?SO the 40 hp in midrange isnt really felt,what it shoot 40 hp and what it drops?i'll start my serach now...thanks

· Registered
4,850 Posts
JDMLUDE98 said:
because of how the lowcam's power starts to fall off....what does that mean, does he have aftermarket cams, and if so which kind?SO the 40 hp in midrange isnt really felt,what it shoot 40 hp and what it drops?i'll start my serach now...thanks
VTEC my friend, the low cams are when the vtec is off, and highs are when it's on. what he means by falling off is that the low cams start to loose efficiency as the rpm increases, so it switches to the high cams. the boost in power is just the switching over.

· Registered
2,115 Posts
this is what i mean JDMLUDE98. look at this dyno graph...see how at about 4600 rpms the power starts to head down, then jumps back up at 5000rpms when vtec kicks in?

if you buy a vafc and lower when vtec kicks in, that line will look more linear, and you wont have that dip. that is where he measured that he "gained" 40hp. he should have stated that he "gained 40hp at vtec crossover" so people dont think that they will gain 40hp all across their midrange.

clear now?

· Registered
2,115 Posts
SpanishRicer said:
Here's my old dyno chart that properly illustrates how to tune out the VTEC "dip" with a VAFC.

that graph is pure bs though. look at where vtec engages on the lower line, 5800!!! of course the power sucks on the low cam right there! if it were at stock, you wouldnt see THAT big of a difference, but still a difference. anyone else notice how you can tell by that graph that stock vtec on his car is 5200?

· Registered
75 Posts
HUH....I SOUND LIKE A DUMBASS, I'LL STOP ASKING QUESTIONS NOW, I SOUND REALLY DUMB FOR BUILDING H22A.....NO WONDER I'M PAYIN SO MUCH MONEY FOR THIS MOTOR...:confused:

· Registered
2,650 Posts
4bidden said:
that graph is pure bs though. look at where vtec engages on the lower line, 5800!!! of course the power sucks on the low cam right there! if it were at stock, you wouldnt see THAT big of a difference, but still a difference. anyone else notice how you can tell by that graph that stock vtec on his car is 5200?
The red graph was my baseline run, before the VAFC was even fully installed. And my stock VTEC crossover was never 5200rpm, closer to 5500-5600rpm. Let's leave the constructive criticism to people who actually take the time to dyno their parts and share them with everyone.

· Registered
2,115 Posts
SpanishRicer said:
The red graph was my baseline run, before the VAFC was even fully installed. And my stock VTEC crossover was never 5200rpm, closer to 5500-5600rpm. Let's leave the constructive criticism to people who actually take the time to dyno their parts and share them with everyone.
well then doing a run with it halfway installed fucked something up because NO h22 came with stock vtec cross of 5600rpms! if you look at where 5200rpms is on the blue line you can see that something changed there.....its the timing from when your car in stock form should switch over to vtec and the timing changes. that is a negative about the vafc, you cant change your timing to compensate for your lower vtec engagement.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.