1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Product: Apexi WS (World Sport) Cat-back exhaust system
Vehicle: 6th Generation, 2001 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6

Pictures:
Here is a BEFORE picture of the Accord exhaust.

Here is a AFTER picture of the Accord exhaust.

REVIEW:
First, let's start off with the initial idea I had for an exhaust system on this particular car. I wanted something that looked nice, but was not as loud as some of those exhaust systems you find readily on the market today. I did the research here on SHO and found that the quietest exhaust around would be the Apexi World Sport. I ended up purchasing this item at around $650 (including shipping) online from a reputable site. The price of that includes the dual setup for the V6 Coupe. The product arrived in two very LARGE boxes. Shipping was outrageous because the items were so bulky. Apexi could have placed the entire system into a single box, but due to how they market it, the extra muffler is what they ship seperately.

The exhaust system had beautiful, solid welds. It almost looked as though the exhaust was TIG welded together. It came in 4 bolt together pieces for installation. The instructions were well written and very easy to follow, but even if they were not, you'd be able to figure it out very easily. The actual installation took about an hour and a half. The time it took was mostly spent trying to remove the bolts from the catalytic converter, NOT because of new product.

Once the item was installed and tightly bolted in place, there were no fitment problems or other problems concerning the product at this time.

After installation, the pictures above show the Apexi immediately after installation and break in period. The vehicle did SMOKE heavily because of the oils they put on the exhaust to protect the finishes. It smoked for about a week and then faded away.

The sound of the exhaust is not noticable at all when at idle. Even at WOT, you can just then start to hear it. It sounds very good! A lot of people expect that having a big exhaust is going to make a lot of noise. This item proves them wrong. This item looks great! They're perfectly matched on both sides. The finish of the exhaust has not tarnished, rusted, dented, or blackend yet. The performance gains were average per exhaust system. It depends on what you have up front. I did notice an increase in my gas mileage. I got on average about 10-20 extra per tank of gas. It was a nice improvment.

The only problems I have encountered with this particular exhaust system is minimal. The problem I noticed is that it hangs very low from the vehicle. The hangers can be bent, but you risk the chance of the exhaust pipe rubbing against the sway bar. Bending hangers can give you approximately half an inch or so. The other problem I have been told is that when it was first installed that it seemed loose on the hangers. I was unaware of this and haven't noticed any evidence of such a problem. No rubbing, banging, vibrations, etc.

OVERVIEW:
All in all I think this is a good exhaust if you're looking for a very quiet exhaust with a reputable name. I was very surprised by how well this exhaust system was built and designed with sound reduction in mind. I would recommend this exhaust system to those interested in keeping things quiet!
NOTE: The AEM Cold Air Intake I have on the vehicle is louder than the exhaust.

·
Banned
1,898 Posts
I have the APEX'i WS exhaust on my car ('97 base prelude) and i love it. Looks clean, sounds good but not too obnoxious. 5/5 from me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i have a greddy sp and its pretty quiet...deep...just that way i like it....i would love to hear a clip of a apexi ws..

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
can you get a sound clip of the sp or the wsII im interested in those exhausts and ive been trying to get a sound clip of them

·
Registered
125 Posts
if you really want it i can but the thing is, i dont know how to upload it..or where to upload it...if theres a place i can upload it, let me know...

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have the ApexI WS exhaust on my civic. I have the same issue with it as djcaseanova. The fitment is not the greatest, the resinator sits really low, but the sound is beautiful and quiet. I had to shove a rag between the pipe and the gas tank to keep it from rattling. I also had to raise up the car because it scraped worse than my old exhaust. Not sure if I would buy it again, but it's good enough for now.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I do have a rattling from my car after i put on the SP...im not sure if its my Catback cause when i had the Greddy EVO on, i didnt have that noise and now with the SP, it keeps rattling...maybe all these "quiet" exhaust have these problems..

·
Registered
471 Posts
efsib16 said:
I have the ApexI WS exhaust on my civic. I have the same issue with it as djcaseanova. The fitment is not the greatest, the resinator sits really low, but the sound is beautiful and quiet. I had to shove a rag between the pipe and the gas tank to keep it from rattling. I also had to raise up the car because it scraped worse than my old exhaust. Not sure if I would buy it again, but it's good enough for now.

The APEX WS does have poor fitment with civic's, but it is a very easy fix that can be done at any muffler shop for under $20. The pipe will rub and knock against the gas tank which if you choose to fix yourself, you can jam an extra exhaust rubber hanger and take somre wire and tie it to the pipe inbetween the gas tank and pipe. For the resonator hanging too low, it's not that bad.... but cna be fixed with an extra hanger in that area.

But overall it is an excellent exhaust, excellent price, and low profile

·
Registered
232 Posts
AF22 said:
The APEX WS does have poor fitment with civic's, but it is a very easy fix that can be done at any muffler shop for under $20. The pipe will rub and knock against the gas tank which if you choose to fix yourself, you can jam an extra exhaust rubber hanger and take somre wire and tie it to the pipe inbetween the gas tank and pipe. For the resonator hanging too low, it's not that bad.... but cna be fixed with an extra hanger in that area.

But overall it is an excellent exhaust, excellent price, and low profile
Unfortunately the resonator can't be brought up any higher on my 91 civic. The way the exhaust pipe runs to the muffler is a lot different from yours. Yours probably runs out the rear on the passenger side. Mine goes down the passenger side where it bends low at the resonator. Then hooks around to the driver side and then out. So yours would be easier to adjust than mine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ok but do yall really think its worth 600 to spend on it ? Mainly just looks, sound....theres not very much performence difference, or any at all ? (99 AV6 btw ... looking in getting one)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the WS on my 96 prelude and i got it for 410 shipped. I also bought a test pipe, probably made it a little louder. the fitment sucked and i scraped so i took it to a muffler shop and they raised it for 50 bucks. Good gains and Great exhaust for something quiet!

·
Registered
910 Posts
I think the world sport has the best, cleanest sound out of any exhaust notes. i love it. and with a world sport and test pipe on my vtec prelude, what type of gaines do you think ill see with stock headers. dont have enough for the headers yet.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
on a prelude... depending on rest of mods, MAYBE 8-15hp low-mid rpm ranges? not real sure how to calculate, that's just a guess... i know headers can boost you upwards of 35hp at higher rpms, not sure bout exhaust, somewhere near that in maximum rpm range though

·
Registered
482 Posts
I personally like the looks and sound of the RS*R ExMag. I hear its got a great fitment and made to look more "sleeper" than any other exhaust. I wrote them an email asking for sound clips and they sent me a couple of links. They are from a DC2 Integra:

Inside the car
Outside the car

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here are some pics of the WS II on my 96 lude.
(if anyone knows where i could post a vid let me know)

^^ they had to push the exhaust up into where its supposed to fit so they had to cut it and weld it back on. (damn mild steel)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Seems like this WS has pretty poor fitment. Good sound, poor fitment :eek:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.