·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worst kept secret in consumer electronics is finally revealed:

Link to complete article:
Apple unveils $499 tablet, $629 with AT&T data - Yahoo! News

Apple unveils $499 tablet, $629 with AT&T data

By JESSICA MINTZ and RACHEL METZ, AP Technology Writers Jessica Mintz And Rachel Metz, Ap Technology Writers

SAN FRANCISCO – Apple Inc. will sell the newly unveiled tablet-style iPad starting at $499, a price tag far below the $1,000 that some analysts were expecting.

The iPad, which is larger in size but similar in design to Apple's popular iPhone, was billed by CEO Steve Jobs on Wednesday as "so much more intimate than a laptop and so much more capable than a smart phone."

The highly anticipated gadget has a 9.7-inch touch screen, is a half-inch thick, weighs 1.5 pounds and comes with 16, 32 or 64 gigabytes of flash memory storage. The basic iPad models will cost $499, $599 and $699, depending on the storage size.

All models have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity built in. Jobs said the device has a battery that lasts 10 hours and can sit for a month on standby without needing a charge.

Apple will also sell a version with pay-as-you-go data plans from AT&T in the U.S. Two tiers of data plan will be available without contracts: $14.99 per month for 250 megabytes of data, or $29.99 for unlimited data usage.

Those 3G models will cost more — $629, $729 and $829, depending on the amount of memory. The Wi-Fi only version will be available worldwide in March, and the 3G version in April. International cellular data details have not yet been announced.

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
1. its a big iphone
2. it runs the iphone OS
3. the cost starts above a netbook and ends beyond a real computer
4. it has a plan to auto suck $$ from your bank account
5. WTF!?! NO THANKS :bash

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Graphically it should be superior to a netbook, plus the 3G pricing is cheaper then AT&T's regular wireless plan. Also it's month-to-month no long term contracts.

I think it says a keyboard is in the works. I hope they have a mouse planned too.

I'm looking forward to checking it out. I just wish it had a larger memory capacity.

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
it doesnt run multiple apps at once. it costs more than a far superior netbook. it doesnt have a keyboard for christs sake and the one coming out for it is an external attachment, defeats the purpose if you ask me.

fuck steve jobs, he can suck a dick.

Reactions: Darkness

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
i was kinda expecting something cool, i brushed off all the "oversized ipod" shit until i saw it.......wow cool you made a big ipod.....that.....still......doesnt support flash........ fucking awesome :bash

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
my iphone was expensive enough....why would i buy a bigger one that screams..."hey you know you want to hold me up at gun point and steal this motherfucker because i was cool and brought it to a new york night club"

·
Boost Junkie
6,249 Posts
iFail.

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm semi serious in my desire to go check out the drop tomorrow. There's an Apple store about 20 mins. away from me so it wouldn't be too hard.

But even if I did want an iPad, I think I'd still wait for the 3G version w/ max memory capacity. For me $30 a month (plus no contract) for coverage, is better then chipping out for a smartphone plan.

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
To be honest, I thought it was a dumb product from the beginning, but after messing around with it for a few hours, its pretty awesome. It is a niche product that doesn't fulfill any ones necessities, but its a cool product. It is really fast, and the fact that you can get netflix on there as well is pretty awesome. This is one of the products where you shouldn't knock it till you try it.

Now this isn't to say that the product still doesn't fulfill any body's needs. Its a luxury item that nobody needs, but people are willing to buy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts