Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are 6th gen ex brakes any bigger than dx? i'm just wondering cuz i put ex front brakes on my hatch. will i need to change anything else other than the rotors and calipers?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I believe the EK 6 gen civics came with bigger brakes on only the Si and the EX (compared to the DX, LX, and CX).

The Si came with rear discs, but the EX came with drums in the rear. The fronts on both the Si and the EX are the same I believe.

You won't have to change anything else, but maybe the heat shield may be slighty different in size...and you will need the caliper-brackets from the ex, since the rotor is slighty bigger. Pads too of course.

I would reccomend saving up and investing in a willwood racing front big-brake kit. They are substatially better than even the EX brakes. Willwood seems to be the norm; there are others like baer and ap racing. You will have to go with at least 16" wheels with a big brake kit...even then, with 16s, clearence may be a bit tight.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Yes, as imported said, the EX fronts are the same as the SI fronts which are larger than all of the other civ models. The EX/SI fronts are the same size as the teg GSR fronts, but I think that the GSR has larger calipers.

If you put EX brakes on your civ, then you will also need the master cylinder from the EX/SI as well. It is a 15/16 while your hatch is a 13/16. So if you don't swap the MC, your braking may actually be a little worse because of the larger calipers on the EX.

You may need to swap the brake booster and proportioning valve as well. I would contact a honda dealer and ask them to see if the part numbers are the same on those parts for the EX and your hatch.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info. the ex brakes are off my parts car, i put in the ex steering column and front suspension in my hatch. so i need to change the master cylinder and proportioning valve? what is the proportioning valve, and where is it located? eventually i'll probably get gsr brakes, but until then, i just have these.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
I'm not positive on the proportioning valve. You can call the honda dealer and check to see if the part numbers are the same on the valve in the EX and your hatch.

The prop valve controls the amount of brake fluid that gets pushed to the front and rear brakes. I suggested changing because the hatch valve may not push enough fluid to the front with the larger EX calipers.

Here is a pic. It is bolted to the firewall, right in the middle.

http://hazone.com/howto/prd021.jpg

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, thats what i thought i was. i'll just change it, its not too hard since there's no engine in there or anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts