Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a jdm b16 for my slow 99 civic dx. most websites who sell jdm engines say that they are for off road or race use only. so if I put one in my car it, would be illegal?
if it is illegal, is it expensive to make them legal?

thanks in advance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,248 Posts
Also depends on where you live. At one time JDM swaps were illegal in Cali. However I have heard that you can use a JDM engine if you could prove that the same engine was produced in the US and that you have the proper emissions systems for that engine in your vehicle.

Most places probably claim "offroad use only" as a disclaimer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
I talked to the referee at my honda school and he said that JDM engines will pass smog only if you have the USDM Intake manifold and emission sensors. Everything else can be JDM. This is only the visual, you still have whats coming out of the exhaust too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
only the visual?

lowkey said:
I talked to the referee at my honda school and he said that JDM engines will pass smog only if you have the USDM Intake manifold and emission sensors. Everything else can be JDM. This is only the visual, you still have whats coming out of the exhaust too.
could you please explain to me the last part of your reply.

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Technically, only USDM engines are legal. For Civics, only D and B-series engines are legal. The EPA approves the engine/chassis combinations that are legal in the US, and anything not fitting those "certified configurations" is illegal. Depending on the state you live in there may be more stringent laws, or there may be ways around them, but basically the law says that only USDM D and B-series engines can be legally put in Civics.

But then again, something is really only illegal if you get caught.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
I'd say just get a USDM engine and throw the money you save into upgrades. I know it's nice to tell everyone you've got a JDM engine but in the long run, people will be looking at your quarter mile times, not your upgrades. JDMs cost more to get, upgrade, and you have to deal with that whole street legal thing. Look at your long term goals for the car and then make your decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,248 Posts
People don't buy USDM engines because they are cheaper. Think about it... Honda isn't making a USDM b16 or b18 anymore. and hasn't since the '01 teg. There have only been a few models of b16s (95-97 del sol vtec, 99-00SI), so USDM engines are getting harder to find. JDM B16s however are much more plentiful because there were a lot more JDM/European B16s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
legality of the engine is up to your local laws.
here in the houston area they do emissions on a dyno and are jstu as strict as cali but they dont have the lame ass visual part.
anyway i passed emssions with a jdm h22a and p72 ecu in my civic, it passed according to the 1.5 liter d15b7 emissions standards.
my engine and car are 100% street legal, can be daily driven and pull 13s on the track all night ling without worrying about a single part breaking and the engien cost me $1000 or more less than a USDM engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
even if they are legal, you still have to worry about theft... insurance will only cover what is factory on the car...Once word has gotten out that you have JDM motor, more then likely some one will snag it from you. Nothing you can do to prove it is yours and insurance will give you no money for it, just what your car is worth stock...but this goes for any motor swap...

And jdm cars, i believe, do not have emissions, they have to either trade the car in after so many miles or buy a new engine, thus why there are so many jdm motors availble to us, but that is just a rumor i heard... if you are worried about legality issues, the best people to ask are your local DMV or DEQ or what ever law branch sees over that type of thing in your area, they will be able to tell you the most accurate and legal information on this question.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,248 Posts
TodaTeg said:
even if they are legal, you still have to worry about theft... insurance will only cover what is factory on the car...Once word has gotten out that you have JDM motor, more then likely some one will snag it from you. Nothing you can do to prove it is yours and insurance will give you no money for it, just what your car is worth stock...but this goes for any motor swap...
depends on the insurance company. I have *HEARD* that some will cover aftermarket parts. However you have to let them know what parts are on the car. It is possible that doing this may also raise your insurance rates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
many insures will cover aftermarket parts and engines, though you may have to have pictures and receipts as well as have a policy that WILL cover it, or you pay extra. my last insurer would cover anything that was bolted to the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
kommon_sense said:
Also depends on where you live. At one time JDM swaps were illegal in Cali. However I have heard that you can use a JDM engine if you could prove that the same engine was produced in the US and that you have the proper emissions systems for that engine in your vehicle.

Most places probably claim "offroad use only" as a disclaimer.

they are legal in cali but whenever you do a swap you need to take the car to the BAR for an engine swap certification, you must have all emissions parts from the USDM counterpart on the engine, sorry no b16b's are legal in cali evar
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
Johnny Tran said:
Yeah they wont pass us emisions :mad:

However tuning is the cure for all problems, Im sure a good tuner could get it to pass.

they WILL pass emissions, its not in tuning, they will pass the tailpipe emissions with flying colors but the thing is you need to have a BAR sticker in cali to have it legal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
v4lu3s said:
many insures will cover aftermarket parts and engines, though you may have to have pictures and receipts as well as have a policy that WILL cover it, or you pay extra. my last insurer would cover anything that was bolted to the car.


not true, i work for an insurance company that is a major company and we deal w/ things like this on a daily basis, fact of the matter is your policy will not cover engine swaps and chances are if they find out they will drop your policy


EDIT:

and to cover those items you must pay for additional coverage on your policy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
temp03 said:
not true, i work for an insurance company that is a major company and we deal w/ things like this on a daily basis, fact of the matter is your policy will not cover engine swaps and chances are if they find out they will drop your policy


EDIT:

and to cover those items you must pay for additional coverage on your policy

well i guess my insurance agent, and the adjuster LIED to me about what they covered when my car was broken into and and things were stolen. they DID reimburse me for an amplifier and a cold air intake. the insurance company I had at the time was AIG not exactly a smaller one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
v4lu3s said:
well i guess my insurance agent, and the adjuster LIED to me about what they covered when my car was broken into and and things were stolen. they DID reimburse me for an amplifier and a cold air intake. the insurance company I had at the time was AIG not exactly a smaller one.

it depends on the conditions of the loss, usually companies will cover up to 1k in aftermarket shit if the vehicle is repairable, anything beyond that most likely would not be covered w/o additional coverage, being that an amp and an intake are not over that limit then it fell into that category, AIG? allied insurance group? and BTW agents ALWAYS lie, they are retarded people who do not know the policies and jack your rates up, they cause you to pay more for insurance and they will only give you the one that is the "best deal" so they can make a buck, my theory on agents is that they sell the insurance that gives them the most commission and tell you it is the "best deal" for you, i do not trust them that is why i am not insured thru the company i work for, i am insured thru a company that has no agents, for partially the reason i illustrated above and the fact that ever agent i have delt with is a complete fucking tool, they know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the policies they sell, etc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
temp03 said:
it depends on the conditions of the loss, usually companies will cover up to 1k in aftermarket shit if the vehicle is repairable, anything beyond that most likely would not be covered w/o additional coverage, being that an amp and an intake are not over that limit then it fell into that category, AIG? allied insurance group? and BTW agents ALWAYS lie, they are retarded people who do not know the policies and jack your rates up, they cause you to pay more for insurance and they will only give you the one that is the "best deal" so they can make a buck, my theory on agents is that they sell the insurance that gives them the most commission and tell you it is the "best deal" for you, i do not trust them that is why i am not insured thru the company i work for, i am insured thru a company that has no agents, for partially the reason i illustrated above and the fact that ever agent i have delt with is a complete fucking tool, they know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the policies they sell, etc
Very. very True and you beat me to the punch...

Stereo equitment is a whole another thing... now aftermarket perforamnce parts are different... And sometimes insurance companies will cover stupid shit(if it does not cost to much),they will do it as "goodwill" so you will stay with them and then they will jack your rates sky high... Then they will get their money back for that intake, and plenty more...
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top