Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Racing Slicks versus our worn out bridestone RE 92s.

I have 43,000 miles on mine and Im thinking should I get new ones or wouldn't they be the same thing as slicks if I just wear them out?

May seem like a dumb question...

Isn't the only diff between racing slicks and street tires one has a tread pattern while the other does not?

someone enlighten me with your knowledge.

jay

· Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All right I know it's retarted...

What about tires that aren't bald, still have a tread pattern, but the only thing is they have 43,000 miles on them?

I know the peak life of a tire is in the middle of its life but if it still has treads just madd miles on them are they still good at putting down power???

jay

· Registered
3,424 Posts
lude1sh said:
All right I know it's retarted...

What about tires that aren't bald, still have a tread pattern, but the only thing is they have 43,000 miles on them?

I know the peak life of a tire is in the middle of its life but if it still has treads just madd miles on them are they still good at putting down power???

jay
not really. slicks would be the best if your car has a lot of power.

slicks are super soft while street tires are hard.

· Registered
12,727 Posts
maybe I could help you understand a difference.

tires are what connect you to the ground...wether its turning(handling) or going straight...or even braking.

tires differ in compound.....compound is what the actual tire is composed of....I am sure it deals with the amount of stabilizer and rubber in the tire.

a higher tread wear generally means the tire will last longer or has a harder compound....this is great for a long lasting tire but generally doesn't grip well on surfaces as the coefficient of friction between the tire and earth isn't as great as a softer compound tire.

as tread decreases the tire becomes stronger to resist tread squerm but if the tire becomes bald enough you run out of rubber and will run on the stablizer....making the coefficient of friction less and having it be easier to skid out...or slip.

a stickier tire...which might have a treadwear of 0....slicks will grip better cause they are softer and stickier than any street tire with a harder compound.....

· Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SO if i were to get new tires now
the same re92s should it handle better now
and be faster now(well in the middleof it's life) as opposed to my tires with 43000 miles??

jay

· Registered
1,829 Posts
lude1sh said:
SO if i were to get new tires now
the same re92s should it handle better now
and be faster now(well in the middleof it's life) as opposed to my tires with 43000 miles??

jay
Yes, they will handle better, but get a different tire. RE92's are ok, but there are stickier tires for the price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.