Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times can u re-use arp headstuds?? I took the head off to install the new pistons but now i think the head is lifting under high boost. If i boost 7psi it runs great all day long. The moment i turn it up to 12-15 psi ......coolant overflows to the bottle and i over heat. The head gasket seems to be leaking at high boost only. All the surfaces were straight and my mechanic said i should get new headstuds.
Need some opinions on if i should just get the new studs or retorque the old ones. BTW.... someone told me i should heat cycle them and have them retorqued if i get new ones. How does that work?
Thanx in advance guys.

· Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BurntRubber87 said:
Headstuds= about $100
Fucking shit up= expensive

I think you can retorque arp headstuds but are you using arp headstuds now or stock headbolts? I say get a strong headgasket and new arps you should be golden
I am using arp now but someone told me i should get new ones since i took off the head.

· Registered
6,555 Posts
you could reuse the arp's. my headgasket went last year and i got a new mitsu metal headgasket and arp's. when i took the head off i noticed that the motor already had arp's in it. i swapped them out anyways and sold the old ones to a fellow gvr4 member, so they are reusable. after putting everything back together in my car i had i also had a problem with coolant being pushed into the overflow tank at high boost (20+). so i took the head off again, sent it out to get machined, new valve seals, and put it back together while still using the arp's. how many times can they be reused? i dont know but i'm assuming at least 3-4 times. how much did you torque them too? did you use the lube that comes with them or motor oil?

· Registered
11,248 Posts
95accordlx said:
How many times can u re-use arp headstuds?? I took the head off to install the new pistons but now i think the head is lifting under high boost. If i boost 7psi it runs great all day long. The moment i turn it up to 12-15 psi ......coolant overflows to the bottle and i over heat. The head gasket seems to be leaking at high boost only. All the surfaces were straight and my mechanic said i should get new headstuds.
Need some opinions on if i should just get the new studs or retorque the old ones. BTW.... someone told me i should heat cycle them and have them retorqued if i get new ones. How does that work?
Thanx in advance guys.
so you took the head off to do the pistons and reused the headstuds... Did you reuse the headgasket as well?

· Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kommon_sense said:
so you took the head off to do the pistons and reused the headstuds... Did you reuse the headgasket as well?
I dont know if ur trying to be funny or if ur an idiot but no i didnt re-use the headgasket and from what ive read.....ARPs can be used more than once.

· Registered
6,555 Posts
i dont know what headgasket you have but metal headgaskets can be reused.

· Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
iLLeFFeKt CiViC said:
i dont know what headgasket you have but metal headgaskets can be reused.
I use oem HGs cuz i heard they work best and i get them for cheap since i work for Honda.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.