Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time in this thread so if this question was already asked sorry.But I like in bakersfield, Ca and i was wondering if the officer asks u 2 pop you hood do u have too.and if you do have to but say no can they impound your car.

·
Super Bacon Mod
23,754 Posts
it is just like a search and you can refuse to pop thehood. However..If the officer has probable cause to suspect that you have illegal modifications to the vehicle or has probalble cause to believe that your engine and/or tans are stolen..its free game. Now, I have not heard of any case law regarding this. You might be able to fight it in court as an illegal search..In short..your best bet is to just pop the hood..because they will most likely jsut remove you from the car and pop the hood anyway. So save yourself the trouble and jsut do it..or refuse and take it to court.

·
Registered
496 Posts
like most people you probably have a oil breather. that could of caused a oil smell. so unless im wrong oil breathers,along with most intakes are illegal in some states, including california. so they could of smelled something or just noticed your modded looking car and wanted to check, could of been quota fill time

·
Super Bacon Mod
23,754 Posts
like most people you probably have a oil breather. that could of caused a oil smell. so unless im wrong oil breathers,along with most intakes are illegal in some states, including california. so they could of smelled something or just noticed your modded looking car and wanted to check, could of been quota fill time
oil smell inst PC to stop.

Oil breaters? by which you mean crankcase breathers as part of the eqr & evap systems? The breathers themselves are not illegal. All intakes are not illegal..especially in california.

And quotas..dont exist..they are illegal.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i was not commenting on why he got stopped, could of been not using a signal or speeding, i thought modifying the emission systems on a vehicle breaks emissions laws, or maybe those only apply to the makers of the car, but anyways that was my point, i figured modding emission = law break, emission system = under hood, popping hood = point proven and ticket given. and if im wrong about CA laws and such, its probably becuase i leave on the east coast, and in south carolina pretty much what ever goes as far as cars. we dont have emissions testing, and i think CA does

·
Super Bacon Mod
23,754 Posts
yes..california has some of the strictest emissions laws in the country

1 - 8 of 8 Posts