Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link:

att-capping-broadband-cnnmoney: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

AT&T Starts Capping Broadband

by David Goldman
Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The days of all-you-can-surf broadband are vanishing.

AT&T this week began capping its Internet delivery service for broadband and DSL customers. The move comes 11 months after it placed similar caps on its mobile customers.

U-Verse -- AT&T's high-speed broadband, television and telephone network -- now limits customers to 250 gigabytes of Internet usage each month. DSL users are capped at 150 GB. Customers who exceed the limits will have to pay $10 for each additional 50 GB.

AT&T moved in June to set pricing tiers for its mobile customers, offering light users a plan that maxes out at 200 megabytes. The company also sells a pricier 2 GB plan. AT&T (NYSE: T - News) remains the outlier among the three major wireless companies, though Sprint (NYSE: S - News) and Verizon (NYSE: VZ - News) Wireless are expected to follow suit with caps soon.

(Article contines on...)

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
250 GB a month is a lot. This is for people who are downloading a lot of videos... this is beyond just watching some YouTube videos and a couple TV shows a day. This is for people who are really downloading a lot of videos.

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
250 GB a month is a lot. This is for people who are downloading a lot of videos... this is beyond just watching some YouTube videos and a couple TV shows a day. This is for people who are really downloading a lot of videos.
you mean me? i see that as the point of a data plan. to download/upload data. 250 gigs? i could clear that in a week with a good connection. I download whole series and watch them when they aren't available on netflix. the need to offer some kind of unlimited plan.

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the articles states 2% of their suscribers use 20% of their bandwidth.

From the article:

AT&T's caps will affect just 2% of its customers, the company said. The restrictions are necessary, AT&T maintained, because those in the top 2% use up 20% of the network's bandwidth. The highest-traffic users download as much as 19 typical households, on average, which slows speeds for other users, AT&T said.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
fuck this is so gay. I'm really considering switching now that this happend. Fucking homos.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
straight up, I'm switching. I hope more do the same so ATT gets the message that they are fucking gay and run by greedy fucks who are so far out of touch with reality it makes me sick. I hope they all get fucked hard in the anus with a 12in strap on.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
I was talking to someone who got their service cut. He found out he went over the 250 GB max but didn't know about the restriction. They turned service back on but he was on this probationary status where if he went over again, service would be cut permanently. I didn't ask what he was dl'ing but he told me movies.

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
(Joking!)...That's what neighbor's with unsecured wireless routers are for.:ninja
QFT.....that's the italian family across the street with the comcast 20meg dl :evil

that be them with the house next to the white TL

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like your dog is spooling out ethernet cable across the street for you. Gonna hardwire your shiznit right up! Forget that wireless router stuff. Plug in straight to the source.:ninja:lol2

1 - 20 of 26 Posts