Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Apparently AT&T doesn't even tell the customers it sells to what UVerse is. My parents got it recently, and were surprised when I told them that it meant everything went over the network; the phones are VOIP and even the TV is over the network. And then they have the nerve to say that people are using to much bandwidth!? Obviously they have the resources available to send HD television channels over the network for ALL of their millions of U-Verse customers, but downloading over the network or on your phone is too much."
Then, their all-in-one (read: piece-of-shit) gateway-modem-wireless router has absolutely all useful features removed from it. I was keeping a server at their house for some file storage and VPN access in case they needed some tech support, and reconfiguring the router was a pain. They assume every customer is a tech ignorant housewife who can't tell you what an operating system is. (This is also the reason I run linux).

Then comes my mobile. I bought myself a used Android phone (HTC Aria) to replace my old Samsung. I popped my SIM card in, and after a few hours of playing with it, I get an automated text message that tells me they have "upgraded" me to a smartphone data plan. My previous data plan they had grandfathered me in on. For $10/month, I got unlimited data. The new smartphone plan was $25/month for a 2GB cap. More money for less data. Furthermore, my old phone was capable of the same data use as my new phone, but could also tether (a feature they specifically removed from my smartphone). In fact, my Android phone uses less data, as it spends the majority of it's life on WiFi instead of the Data Network.

TL;DR: Shit like this makes me want to start my own ISP.

Fortunately, the picture above calms me down ;)

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Oh my. AT&T hatred...:eek2

Here's my story then.

I pay for a 6Mbps max DL DSL plan. I usually get sub 3.5Mpbs as measured on Test My Speed. I'll go multiple weeks were my speeds consistantly test at under 2Mpbs. Last week I could not stream 480p videos on YouTube so I did another test... it was under 180Kbps. That's right 0.18Mbps!!!

Triple 56K FTW! Woot!:fear:(:cry

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
BTW: Even if I'm in LA, there's no: U-verse availabilty, and Fios service ends a few blocks away from me. I always thought of DSL being a semi-dedicated line and not as directly affected by the usage of others. But right now my www suxs and I'm seriously considering switching over to cable.:(

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
only bitch is the other ISP up here, Charter Communications also sucks donkey balls and is actually in bankruptcy/might go under. So I'm hesitant to even switch. Fuck living in the sicks.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts