Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Preludes are #1 yaaay :number1

Besides being such a sexy car I always thought it was cool how it had funky stuff like 4ws and then atts/Super dooper Handling...

But even tho I admire those things 've never gotten to drive the 4ws or SH ludes :noo

So I have some questions regarding how good are those honda technologies? For those people who have driven 4ws 3rd/4th/5thgen... how does it handle/turn compared to non 4ws ? How about SH vs base 5th? Also how does 4ws and SH compare to handling with a rwd?

Also- if there is a 6th+ gen prelude... what would u like to see in terms of new tech? RWD-SH? AWD-SH+4ws? a fifth wheel?

·
Registered
964 Posts
honda isnt the only company with 4ws, nissan has been doing it since the eighties.
now gm does it with there trucks.

as far as handling compared to a rwd car. its a diff ballgame all together. i have a bit of suspension work done to my lude and my TA and they both handle incredibly. one thing i will say is. the honda enters the corner faster but the TA exits the corner faster. they both have a bit of oversteer. come to think of it. this prelude handles alot liek most rwd cars ive driven. so your not missing much. as far as 4wd cars. subarus never impressed me that much. i had a friend who had everything done to his wrx and it didnt do much better than either one of my cars. accept launching that thing was so much fun. all i can tell you is go out and drive what you can while you can. go for rides in other peoples performance cars and see what they are all about. then ask if they want to switch with you for a bit. just dotn wreck anyones cars

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I havent had a rwd car in a long time, but most professional test drivers have rated the type SH lude very similar in handling. Mine is still stock with balding tires / old shocks and she'll still corner pretty flat. Are'nt there 4ws 5th gens in the UK??? Id be curious to know how that compares to the ATTS ludes...

comparing an H22 4th gen 4ws with and a type SH wouldnt be a fair comparison, since they have diff chasis / weights / balance, but thats probably all we could do in the states.

·
Registered
333 Posts
phrancis said:
I havent had a rwd car in a long time, but most professional test drivers have rated the type SH lude very similar in handling. Mine is still stock with balding tires / old shocks and she'll still corner pretty flat. Are'nt there 4ws 5th gens in the UK??? Id be curious to know how that compares to the ATTS ludes...

comparing an H22 4th gen 4ws with and a type SH wouldnt be a fair comparison, since they have diff chasis / weights / balance, but thats probably all we could do in the states.
No 4WS 5ths. More's the pity

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I've never driven a base 5th gen, but I know that when I corner with the engine at really high rpms and my foot into it.......I can feel the ATTS doing something. It's hard to notice, but it's there.

I've often wondered though if I think I'm feeling something just cause my accord handled completely different from the prelude. Like I'm just feeling the difference between the two, and my mind is telling me it's the ATTS.

Either way, the lude handles really well, and I do get a little oversteer sometimes.

·
On Blakes Nuts
5,057 Posts
Here's my take on the whole comparison. I used to have a 88 yellow si 4ws back in high school. The car is very fun to drive but way under powered. About the first turn on the car the tires will go the same way as the front but once you get past a certain steering angle the back wheels rotate the opposite direction, definitely can feel it compared to a reg 3rd gen.

A h22 powered 4th gen with 4ws has the possiblility of being a really great car but I've never drove one. As far as base 5th gen to SH 5th gen I've driven both. I bought an SH and in my opinion my SH felt better than the silver base 5th gen I test drove in columbus. When I found my car in Indiana I just fell in love with it. I took a loan for 13 grand before I took the 4hr drive out there to check it out. Needless to say after a nice drive through a bunch of twisties I was much more impressed with the SH. It did already have a koni yellow suspension setup and I coupled those with neuspeed sport springs. My car also had 17 wheels and toyo tires on it so that may have contributed also. The base did get up and haul though but just wasn't what I was looking for.

I can feel the atts and it's more than obvious when it's on. It goes off of lateral g sensors and yaw/steering angle sensors to operate a seperate set of hydraulic clutches to put 15% more power to your outside wheel. If you put 200 hp down to the wheels you're putting 30 more hp to your outside wheel. It would hold it's own easy with a rear wheel drive car no problem!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
prelude4me said:
I think there will not be a RWD-SH cos the atts unit is trying to make the prelude to handle like a RWD.So if you have a RWD car,do u still need a atts unit for super handling?
Just my .02
I dunno maybe it would help with corning sometimes? ATTS work on the rear wheels of the Honda/Acura RL which didn't make sense to me at first, I would think it would work better on front wheels.... but after thinking about it I suppose that would work.

? So maybe ATTS would be slightly beneficial for a pure rwd cars as well.

bob u said "Either way, the lude handles really well, and I do get a little oversteer sometimes."
So it is possible to oversteer with the SH... is this a sign that it handles as well as rwd car?

There was something else I was curious about... with rwd u can start to accelerate earlier coming out of a turn vs fwd? is this correct?

·
Registered
964 Posts
noopie said:
bob u said "Either way, the lude handles really well, and I do get a little oversteer sometimes."
So it is possible to oversteer with the SH... is this a sign that it handles as well as rwd car?

There was something else I was curious about... with rwd u can start to accelerate earlier coming out of a turn vs fwd? is this correct?
its possible to oversteer any car if it is setup for it. rwd cars are more apt to oversteer because of the power in the back, its actually a huge explination that i dont want to get into. but rwd sports car, mustag camaro corvette viper, 240sx, 350z. all have a rep for oversteer(drift). fwd cars, civic, prelude, sentra, cavalier. have a bigger tendency to understeer.

the companies that make the cars make them understeer because its safer for the general public. to correct understeer you just let off the gas or hit the brakes (sometimes) and it will slow enough to stop the understeer. fwd cars for the most part arent sport oriented, and werent known for tuning and track use. so most of the time a fwd car will have a tendency to understeer.

i lost my train of thought..... anyways it is funny to drive the prelude and have it oversteer. it just goes against what i was expecting when i bought the car. but not in a bad way.

and the whole thing you said about rwd accelorating sooner out of a corner than a fwd car. with understeer the front tires slip with oversteer the rear tires slip. if your car understeers (most fwd) and you already have front tire spinnage or are on the edge of tire spinnage. then its not going to help you get out of a corner if you get on the gas. with oversteering cars (most rwd) and you get on the gas a little early the weight transfer should help you get out of a corner faster... if not it sends you into a drift and you can tell all your friends thats what you were trying to do.....

if i mised anything or i messed up someone will correct me.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
i've never driven a 4ws lude but i love the handling of my SH. I honestly think it's one of the best handling cars out there. Oh and one thing to compare the SH to rwd my brother's friend said this when he found out I got a SH, "I love the SH, it's the only fwd car I've ever flipped around."

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
cndctrdj said:
its possible to oversteer any car if it is setup for it. rwd cars are more apt to oversteer because of the power in the back, its actually a huge explination that i dont want to get into. but rwd sports car, mustag camaro corvette viper, 240sx, 350z. all have a rep for oversteer(drift). fwd cars, civic, prelude, sentra, cavalier. have a bigger tendency to understeer.

the companies that make the cars make them understeer because its safer for the general public. to correct understeer you just let off the gas or hit the brakes (sometimes) and it will slow enough to stop the understeer. fwd cars for the most part arent sport oriented, and werent known for tuning and track use. so most of the time a fwd car will have a tendency to understeer.

i lost my train of thought..... anyways it is funny to drive the prelude and have it oversteer. it just goes against what i was expecting when i bought the car. but not in a bad way.

and the whole thing you said about rwd accelorating sooner out of a corner than a fwd car. with understeer the front tires slip with oversteer the rear tires slip. if your car understeers (most fwd) and you already have front tire spinnage or are on the edge of tire spinnage. then its not going to help you get out of a corner if you get on the gas. with oversteering cars (most rwd) and you get on the gas a little early the weight transfer should help you get out of a corner faster... if not it sends you into a drift and you can tell all your friends thats what you were trying to do.....

if i mised anything or i messed up someone will correct me.

you make good points...

the reason RWD oversteers is that when power is sent through the rear wheels in a turn it demands too much traction and they slip

mustangs/camaros are muscle cars not set up for good handling and are too heavy to draw good comparisons to much lighter imports

fwd in corners tends to straighten out when power is applied, which is why rwd comes out of corners faster

no matter what, with fwd, you still have the problem of torque steer and a massive front weight bias

·
Registered
333 Posts
bob12345 said:
I've never driven a base 5th gen, but I know that when I corner with the engine at really high rpms and my foot into it.......I can feel the ATTS doing something. It's hard to notice, but it's there.

I've often wondered though if I think I'm feeling something just cause my accord handled completely different from the prelude. Like I'm just feeling the difference between the two, and my mind is telling me it's the ATTS.

Either way, the lude handles really well, and I do get a little oversteer sometimes.
I heard from the guys at the tire place that oversteer on a Lude=tires. Certain brands can cause this....

·
Registered
403 Posts
Type_SH RaCer said:
A lil confused where is the 4ws? :confused
If you look in the second pic you see a rear differential. Wow :eek i didnt know 5th gens came with 4ws. SO now that just begs the question with all things being even which ones better the 4ws or the atts. hey fastfu have you driven em both back to back or know someone who has.

·
Registered
333 Posts
HanSOLio said:
If you look in the second pic you see a rear differential. Wow :eek i didnt know 5th gens came with 4ws. SO now that just begs the question with all things being even which ones better the 4ws or the atts. hey fastfu have you driven em both back to back or know someone who has.
Late April fool??? I just had a look at Fastfu's car on his own forum site. It is the most beautiful specimen of a 5th. I can't believe that his undercarriage could look so tatty. Leads me to think (and I know I'm going to piss people off here) that this is the underside of a 4th Lude and not his Motegi beast. I'm no expert and if I'm wrong here then I apologise in advance. I neva heard of a 5th with 4WS (although Google did turn up a thread in V.T.3.C..net where the owner seemed confused!!).
Does anybody know for sure?????

Oh, and excuse my ignorance, but why would a 4WS have a differential?
I thought they were FWD and the steering up the back was done by electronics / hydraulics....Not attacking anyone, just wanna know... :confused

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.