Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
double whammy. check engine light and ATTS light came on at the same time. honda said it was an oxygen sensor and the ATTS unit. the computer also told them the wheels on the car were the wrong size and that is what broke the ATTS. the wheels are stock honda that i assume came with the car, and it just turned 89,000 miles. if the wheels were wrong why did it only happen now? does the ATTS really require a certain wheel size or is this ridiculous? i dont want to spend another 1200 for a set of (cheap) wheels/tires yet id rather not spend that and another 1000 for another ATTS. if anyones heard anything or has any ideas let me know.

thanks,

-jon,.
2000 Prelude SH

·
Registered
34 Posts
i never heard that happening the only time i had the atts light on was when i had a flat tire and put the doughnut on felt so weird but sorry never heard anything like that? i mean atts is a pretty strong mechanical unit. there was a good deal on atts on ebay not too long ago $300?

·
Registered
285 Posts
if the check endine light comes on it automaticly throws the atts light its some thing honda did with the ecu.....if the code is for the o2 sensor...shange it reset the ecu and you should be good....and if something is wrong with the atts system (majorly wrong) and you don't have the money right now to fix it ...just pull the fuse for it for now...

·
On Blakes Nuts
5,057 Posts
expierence97 said:
I've never heard of ATTS having any problems with different wheel sizes and can't imagine a reason why it would. I'd suggest taking it to somebody else and double check that. I know you're going to Honda, but that doesn't always mean they are competent.

If you don't have the money to fix the ATTS unit right now, you can just pull the fuse as preludesh2000 said.
That's probably because you don't know anything about atts then eh!

ATTS (CAN) be affected by different rim sizes / tire sizes. There's a bunch of sensors on the atts unit, measures yaw/steering angles/speed and a bunch of other factors that no one realizes while driving normally. To be honest with you most people probably don't even engage their atts, depends on what your revs are at, what gear, and what speed on the aggressiveness of the power to the outside wheel in a turn!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
preludedriver99 said:
That's probably because you don't know anything about atts then eh!

ATTS (CAN) be affected by different rim sizes / tire sizes. There's a bunch of sensors on the atts unit, measures yaw/steering angles/speed and a bunch of other factors that no one realizes while driving normally. To be honest with you most people probably don't even engage their atts, depends on what your revs are at, what gear, and what speed on the aggressiveness of the power to the outside wheel in a turn!
Well I retract my previous statement, you do learn something new everyday.

How can you determine, if it's possible, if your new rim/tire size will affect ATTS?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Yeah, its a pretty complicated collection of computers and sensors with pre-programmed algorithems for a certain wheel diameter, weight, etc...

If you change one of those constants enough, then the ATTS might not be able to calculate things correctly. The over all diameter and weight of my new rims/tires pkg is pretty close to the stock I guess, cause I havent thrown a cel yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the input. i got the car back yesterday with the computer codes and the correct tire/wheel size on the paperwork. so even though both lights came on the computer gave the codes for the bad ATTS as well as the O2 sensor. but you never can tell with car places. especially dealers.

the ATTS codes it gave were: 19-1, 43-1, 72-1, 79-1, 78-1

and the correct size tires for ATTS to work (it says) are 205-50-16

i just bought the car a month ago and it came with goodyear eagle NCT5s, size 195-55-16. would that recommended tire size fit on the same wheels, which are stock honda rims?

i shouldntve gone through a dealer for this. it makes me sick at how much i paid and what all the money couldve gone to for other things for the car.

this is off topic but along the same lines.. i did just buy the car and it is near 90,000 miles and i thought a full tuneup would be a good thing to do. i heard its like 900 bucks at the dealer. so i was wondering if the tuneups at say a muffler shop like midas would be good enough, or is it worth it to go through honda?

thanks again for the ideas. i may try to call around at honda and find someone who knows alot about the ATTS and the tire size issue. if i do ill post what i find out.

-jon,.
2000 Prelude SH

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
i just finished doing a full tune-up...plugs, wires, fuel filter, cap, rotor, oil, oil filter, and air filter...probably spent 250 on all the parts and put them in myself. oh, except for the fuel filter. that is a BITCH to put in on sh 5th gens so i payed 40 bucks and had a shop stick it in. 900 = rip off.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
manalishi said:
i just finished doing a full tune-up...plugs, wires, fuel filter, cap, rotor, oil, oil filter, and air filter...probably spent 250 on all the parts and put them in myself. oh, except for the fuel filter. that is a BITCH to put in on sh 5th gens so i payed 40 bucks and had a shop stick it in. 900 = rip off.
Do you know where exactly the fuel filter is?

·
Registered
285 Posts
and the correct size tires for ATTS to work (it says) are 205-50-16

i just bought the car a month ago and it came with goodyear eagle NCT5s, size 195-55-16. would that recommended tire size fit on the same wheels, which are stock honda rims?

that tire size they recommended is teh factory size ...thats the size you should have on the rims....
the 55/16...are making the computer think the wheel is bigger then what it is.....

if your sticking with the factory rims ,get 205/50
if you plus size with rims and tires get 215/40/17....etc...

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
i don't think atts will stop functioning with different that stock sized tires. the tires on my SH are smaller than stock and everything works fine. i think the calculations for engagement would be off by a little, but would not cause it to throw codes...

also, I don't think it takes much to engage atts. its not only on with extreme cornering. i think it works with nearly every turn.

·
On Blakes Nuts
5,057 Posts
noopie said:
i don't think atts will stop functioning with different that stock sized tires. the tires on my SH are smaller than stock and everything works fine. i think the calculations for engagement would be off by a little, but would not cause it to throw codes...

also, I don't think it takes much to engage atts. its not only on with extreme cornering. i think it works with nearly every turn.
ATTS isn't throwing 15% more power to the outside wheel when you're in 2nd gear at 2000rpms making a 15-20 mph turn bro!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
preludedriver99 said:
ATTS isn't throwing 15% more power to the outside wheel when you're in 2nd gear at 2000rpms making a 15-20 mph turn bro!
I agree. Most of the big mag editors said that the atts was really cool, but to save a couple of grand and get the base, cause it's only really engaged when your really pushing it hard around the corners and most daily drivers don't do that - Most, not all! :D

·
On Blakes Nuts
5,057 Posts
phrancis said:
I agree. Most of the big mag editors said that the atts was really cool, but to save a couple of grand and get the base, cause it's only really engaged when your really pushing it hard around the corners and most daily drivers don't do that - Most, not all! :D
It's not a system that you can't feel working. You know when it's on and when it's engaged the car grips like it's on rails when the system is active trust me I know. So I'd say I'd agree that when pushing hard it's going to be on period. You can really feel it in the upper revs of 2nd and 3rd gear. I don't know if it's just me or not but that's when I think it's most affective. You don't want to be in 4th or 5th trying to engage the atts because it will unstable the car as oddly as that sounds at those speeds. It almost allows the car to amaze people. For under 30 grand and in it's prime you couldn't buy something better in the handling performance category. I still somewhat kind of firmly believe that!

Next time I see a killer deal on ebay , someone trying to ditch a whole unit I'm buying it just in CASE I ever have any problems but so far the system has performed flawlessly but my car only has 50,000 total miles on it also!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
preludedriver99 said:
You know, I have a different concept of atts. I thought that depending on the cornering condition there would be a variable amount of % torque transfer between wheels, each applicable to the extremity of your attempted turn and speed and angle of the attempt. I never thought that it as an all or none response as you are describing it. Maybe you are right and I am wrong. I personally think I feel atts on a lot of corners, maybe I am just imagining it then.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Well it's not full on or off. It's still sending a variable amount of power to the outside wheel depending on steering wheel angle, speed, lateral g's and stuff, but it just doesn't engage until your taking a fast turn - not just rounding the corner at the drive thru or a normal intersection. Maybe you take an on-ramp at 50mph every day and maybe it sends 10% more torque to the outside wheel - and maybe you decide to take it at 60mph the next day and it sends 15%, etc... cause your a slacker and youre late for work :) Just messin. So you magically don't skid off the road, like a lot of other people if they tried to keep up....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts