Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Audi Breaks Ski Jump Record for the New TV Advert

3/15/2005 -- A spectacular 1980s television commercial showing a gravity-defying Audi quattro saloon climbing 47 metres of treacherously steep, snow-covered ski jump has just been remade using a new A6 saloon to mark the 25 th Anniversary of quattro.

Fourteen years after rally ace Harald Demuth drove up Finland’s Pitkavuori ski jump in a red Audi 100 CS quattro, setting a new record in the process, Audi engineer Uwe Bleck has just followed suit in the 335 bhp V8-powered A6 4.2 quattro. Like its predecessor, the A6 highlighted the exceptional traction advantages of the quattro system by reaching a height of 47 metres on a gradient of around 80 per cent or 37.5 degrees, and parking on the slope.

For complete authenticity in the 2005 advertisement, the original timber-framed Pitkavuori ski jump, 300 miles north of Helsinki, was used again, despite the fact that it was closed in 1994 and needed extensive repairs before filming could commence.

In first gear, at 4,200 rpm and travelling at about 37 mph, the A6 stormed up the 80 per cent gradient with incredible ease, arriving at the 47-metre-high starting gate normally reserved for skiers only nine seconds after take-off. Uwe Bleck repeated this process a total of eleven times for the advertisement, and said later: “I could have gone faster, even at the steepest point.”

The toughest test facing the all-Audi team behind the orchestration and filming of the advert was keeping the A6 stationary at the top of the narrow, slippery jump. To achieve this a special ‘roll back safety device’ was built on a steel base plate and fitted to the under-body of the A6. The sledge-like unit prevented the car from sliding back once it had come to a stop, but was not able to pull it.

The only other very minor changes were to the automatic transmission, which was fixed in first gear to prevent the usual slight momentary power losses during gear changes, and to the wheels, which were fitted with rally-style tires with six millimetre spikes. Otherwise the A6 4.2 quattro was a completely normal production model.

This remarkable new Audi advertisement has been showing on television in mainland Europe since March 5th, and may also be adapted for cinema presentation. It has not yet been decided if Audi UK will integrate the campaign into its 2005 advertising strategy.

-RSportsCars.Com

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
There's a ski jump just like that by my house and the thing is tall. For some reason, i wanted to drive a car off/down it, not up it:D. Thoughts of biking down and such have crossed my mind as well. Good thing i never listened to my brain or i'd have been dead years ago :lol2.

Pretty impressive. Too bad the tires weren't stock. Looks amazing going up the slop in those pics.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Theres a vid somewhere on the web on how they did that. It took them a few trys to get up it.

·
Registered
866 Posts
5.0 said:
There's a ski jump just like that by my house and the thing is tall. For some reason, i wanted to drive a car off/down it, not up it:D. Thoughts of biking down and such have crossed my mind as well. Good thing i never listened to my brain or i'd have been dead years ago :lol2.

Pretty impressive. Too bad the tires weren't stock. Looks amazing going up the slop in those pics.

they tried that on the stock tires one time. i don't think it made it even halfway up before it kept losing traction and startin slipping back down. cool nonetheless.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
btw nice new tailight A6

·
Retired *********
4,663 Posts
njn63 said:
i don't see how this really shows anything great about the quattro awd system. I'm willing to put money on a similarly modded RL being able to do the same.
OR ANY AWD car fitted with rally-style tires with six millimetre spikes.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
05 tC said:
OR ANY AWD car fitted with rally-style tires with six millimetre spikes.

I wonder how long any car would last up there???? Don't forget at that extreme angle the oil might not be getting into the pickup.

·
Retired *********
4,663 Posts
spray004 said:
I wonder how long any car would last up there???? Don't forget at that extreme angle the oil might not be getting into the pickup.
True, but it looks steeper than it actually is. According to the article it is 37.5 degrees

·
Registered
866 Posts
njn63 said:
i don't see how this really shows anything great about the quattro awd system. I'm willing to put money on a similarly modded RL being able to do the same.

SH-AWD > quattro
any car with some awd sys and spikes in its tires should be able to accomplish the same. sh-awd is defiantely looking promising and hopefully honda will extend the use to more vehicles. i read a lot of great reviews on it.
but being an audi owner, i have to stand up for quattro :p

click on link to read up on some good info on audi quattro

quattro

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.