Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in modding my auto '97 Civic EX to a 5 spd. manual. I'm pretty sure this is possible, but does anyone have a pricing estimate? I know, I know, I should've bought a manual in the first place... :( The thing is, I knew absolutely nothing about cars when I was in the market, and I didn't know how to drive a stick on top of that, so auto seemed like the only logical choice.

But now, I know how to drive stick, and I'm... anxious (trying to avoid the term "horny") to give my car the advantage in speed, efficiency, and gas mileage! So, any info on pricing or details of what all would have to be modded would be appreciated.

(Wouldn't it just be the transmission, then the swap of my auto shifter with a manual 5-speed one, then the clutch pedal?)

· Registered
1,946 Posts
I dunno if it would be TOO expensive... In my area you could probably pick that up from a junkyard for like 1500-2000.
Just call around to your local junkyards and check.
Also call any local autobody shops/mechanics and see if they have any civics layin around you could snag the tranny out of.
The installation would be bitch though, I *think* you'd also have to take the ECU out of the manual transmissioned car, or at least have your reprogrammed. I dunno though.

· Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, thanks for the info. $1000+ for a tranny swap sounds outrageous to me, considering I was hoping it'd be in the <$500 range :( Oh well, so much for that idea.

A b16 swap would be awesome, though, and well worth the $2500 IMO. I thought those were more like $3000+? Then again, I don't dawdle in the swapping community really... but if $2500 would cover engine and transmission, that's something I'd seriously consider.

· Registered
1,297 Posts
clique said:
Hey, thanks for the info. $1000+ for a tranny swap sounds outrageous to me, considering I was hoping it'd be in the <$500 range :( Oh well, so much for that idea.

A b16 swap would be awesome, though, and well worth the $2500 IMO. I thought those were more like $3000+? Then again, I don't dawdle in the swapping community really... but if $2500 would cover engine and transmission, that's something I'd seriously consider.
Yeah...acutally I can get a B16A2 for $2300 right now. (Shipped)

Installation will charge you around $300-$500.

It depends on you have your mechanics or not.

· Registered
370 Posts
tranny swaps can be had for less than 750$ if this is an EX. You just have to do some digging.

no, you won't need a new ECU. Automatic ECUs can be converted to Manual ECUs just by pulling a jumper switch on the ECU (but a manual ECU can't be made into an autmoatic).

if you want an SI tranny, the full swap will go for about 100-200$ more - and most of that is b/c the tranny is harder to find and therefore more expensive.

just check the local junkyard and try to find one that has low miles on it.

· Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again, thanks a lot for the info. At the moment, this all seems a little out of my price range :p but knowledge never hurts.

Destiny, I notice you have an auto Civic as well? Right now I'm considering buying an AEM short ram over the CAI to save money and avoid spending extra on bypass & installation... any recommendations? Is the $100 extra worth it on the CAI?

· Registered
1,297 Posts
clique said:
Again, thanks a lot for the info. At the moment, this all seems a little out of my price range :p but knowledge never hurts.

Destiny, I notice you have an auto Civic as well? Right now I'm considering buying an AEM short ram over the CAI to save money and avoid spending extra on bypass & installation... any recommendations? Is the $100 extra worth it on the CAI?

Short ram is O.K. :)

· Registered
9,948 Posts
over here in Australia, lots of workshops can perform auto to manual conversions for about AUS$2000 (pricing for a S13 Nissan Silvia K's). That includes the clutch master cylinder, pedal assembly (they hack the brake pedal with a hacksaw instead of fitting a new brake pedal), transmission, etc. Cars, such as a Fairlady Z (VG30-DETT) cost about AUS$3000 to convert. Not sure about a Civic conversion though, im guessing not too much for a B series block, coz dem transmissions are quite cheap, but for a D series, probably more coz they are virtually non existant over here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.