Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Auto manufacturers: who owns who?

42K views 53 replies 31 participants last post by  socalJDMgirl 
#1 ·
i just thought that gather some info on this.

BMW owns:
-BMW
-Mini
-Rolls Royce

Daimler/Chrysler owns:
-AMC (brand discontinued -- Chrysler bought AMC primarily for the Jeep brand which was owned by AMC)
-Chrysler
-Dodge
-Eagle (brand discontinued)
-Hyundai (Daimler/Chrysler only owns 10% --13 May 04 changes!)
-Jeep
-Maybach
-Mercedes-Benz
-Mitsubishi (Daimler/Chrysler owns less than 20%)
-Plymouth (brand discontinued)
-Smart

Fiat owns:
-Alfa Romeo
-Ferrari
-Fiat
-Lancia
-Maserati

Ford owns:
-Aston Martin
-Ford
-Jaguar
-Land Rover (bought from BMW)
-Lincoln
-Mazda (Ford owns 33% of Mazda)
-Mercury
-Volvo cars

Fuji Heavy Industries owns:
-Subaru

General Motors owns:
-Buick
-Cadillac
-Chevrolet
-Daewoo (GM owns 44%)
-Fiat (GM owns ~20%) (GM has decided to divorce itself from Fiat as of Feb '05)
-Fuji Heavy Industries (GM owns ~20%)
-GMC
-Holden
-Hummer
-Isuzu (GM only owns a percentage)
-Oldsmobile (brand discontinued)
-Opel
-Pontiac
-Saab
-Saturn
-Subaru (GM owns 20%)
-Suzuki (GM only owns a small percentage)
-Vauxhall

Honda owns:
-Acura
-Honda

Hyundai owns:
-Hyundai
-Kia

Mitsubishi Heavy Industry, Mitsubishi Corp. and Mitsubishi Tokyo Financial Group Inc. (MTFG) owns, 33.4%:
Mitsubishi (DC owns about 20%)

Nissan owns:
-Infiniti
-Nissan
-Renault (Nissan owns 15%)

PSA Peugeot Citroen owns:
-Citroen
-Peugeot

Porsche:
an independent company (they do work very closely with VW, however)

Renault owns:
-Nissan (Renault owns 44%)

Toyota owns:
-Lexus
-Scion
-Toyota

Volkswagen owns:
-Audi
-Bentley
-Bugatti
-Lamborghini
-SEAT
-Skoda
-Volkswagen

See less See more
#27 ·
well, Acura was also invented as a way to get around the import laws and tarrifs that went up around the early-mid 80's because the domestic manufacturers were whining too much to the federal government about how much the japanese companies were kicking their butts. the laws stated that each japanese company could import a certain number of vehicles each year, and then after that would be charged higher tarriffs. but if you have a seperate sattelite company, which just happens to sell slightly higher scale vehicles, why then you can completely circumvent the tarrif scales!

hence the birth of Lexus, Acura, and Infinity.

#29 ·
actually i believe that datsun was just the name that nissan motor company adopted for its first models in the US (dunno why). after a while, a decision was made to stop using the datsun name, but they gradually phased in the nissan name, starting with the higher models (IE: Maxima), and then moving down to the lower ones. that's why you see a lot of cars that are "Datsun Nissan", etc.

#30 ·
Porsche -- VW

BTW, within the past month or two, Porsche bought 20% of VW...

#31 ·
that one civic said:
actually i believe that datsun was just the name that nissan motor company adopted for its first models in the US (dunno why). after a while, a decision was made to stop using the datsun name, but they gradually phased in the nissan name, starting with the higher models (IE: Maxima), and then moving down to the lower ones. that's why you see a lot of cars that are "Datsun Nissan", etc.

Ya. They changed to Nissan because they thought Datsun sounded too foreign in the US automarket

#33 ·
fartbomber said:
For the US and Canadian markets, Honda created the Acura brand, which is a Honda that is rebadged. It's interesting that Honda didn't need to create the Acura brand in Europe. You can find a Honda NSX.

Same thing with Toyota/Lexus. Interestingly, Lexus was recently released in the Japanese market, and Acura is about to be.

#35 ·
Datsun/Datson is a former marque used by what is now Nissan Motor Co, in order to sell its automobiles in North America, Europe, Africa, Australia, and New Zealand.

The company was originally founded in 1911 by Sotaro Hashimoto and named DAT (because the main investors were Kenjiro Den, Rokuro Aoyama and Meitaro Takeuchi, hence the acronym D.A.T.). It was the first Japanese automobile manufacturer and was later renamed Nissan. The name was for a very short time DATSON in the 1920s, but later changed to DATSUN when SON was learned to mean "failure" in Japanese.

that one civic said:
actually i believe that datsun was just the name that nissan motor company adopted for its first models in the US (dunno why).
Nissan retained the Datsun name instead of the Nissan badge because thye wanted to distance themselves from the Nissan Heavy Industries (Manchurian Motor Company) that made war machinery for the Japanese during WWII.

that one civic said:
after a while, a decision was made to stop using the datsun name, but they gradually phased in the nissan name, starting with the higher models (IE: Maxima), and then moving down to the lower ones. that's why you see a lot of cars that are "Datsun Nissan", etc.
By the time Nissan wanted to change all Datsuns into Nissans, the Datsun badge was more recognized in the US compared to Nissan (85% for Datsun and 2% for Nissan - ni 1981). They sort of had to put both Nissan and Datsun together, hence the Nissan Datsun, to familiarize the American consumer with the Nissan name before taking out the Datsun completely.

h22lude said:
Ya. They changed to Nissan because they thought Datsun sounded too foreign in the US automarket
Actually, this was done (the rebadging) to help Nissan shares in the US and also from global branding and marketing recognition/purposes. Also, one global name would increase the possibility that advertising campaigns/brochures/promotional materials could be used across countries and simplify product design/manufacturing.

#42 ·
ensigma said:
if chrysler wasn't american before, then what was it? :confused

key word i used was 'again'. It was obviously originally an american company, part of The Big Three. Then it was bought by Daimler-Benz. Now its back in the hands of an American Company called Cerberus Capital Management LP, a sort of private equity investment firm

#45 ·
accordjtstyle said:
negative rep for posting a single comment in 24 different threads. Burn in hell. Plus you seem rather retarded? Did you just comment on yourself? lol.

Eitherway, die for being deadly annoying.

Jeez, you're still around and have less than 500 posts? Holy cow, that's impressive!

#46 ·
hobie237 said:
Jeez, you're still around and have less than 500 posts? Holy cow, that's impressive!
sorry, didn't mean to sound like such an ass. I guess I was a little rude.

But when I go to a category, and the last 15 topics all have a 1 word reply made by him, its rather obvious its to raise his post count. Just annoying, sorry to seem like a jerk.

#47 ·
accordjtstyle said:
sorry, didn't mean to sound like such an ass. I guess I was a little rude.

But when I go to a category, and the last 15 topics all have a 1 word reply made by him, its rather obvious its to raise his post count. Just annoying, sorry to seem like a jerk.

No, his posts were stupid.

I just don't see how you can restrain yourself so often, having only ~500 posts after all these years. It's a genuine compliment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.