Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have an auto tranny and it seems like it doesnt grip third gear. My question is should i change the tranny oil (since my car has 130,000 miles on it and i want the transmission to last 1.5 years cause then i can swap it for a manual) or should i not touch anything and just drive like a granny for the next 1.5 years?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sometimes the new trans fluid will clean up the gunk that is actually keeping the tranny working as well as it is. In other words your problem could get worse with clean fluid. I have also seen problems improve with clean fluid. I guess it boils down too what you wanna do/risk.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it was easy actually i just used a normal wrench and didnt use any sockets. The screw thing that u r suppose to remove (where the oil comes out) has a square indention so the wrench fit perfectly. Make sure u have a oil changing container so all oil goes in it and not on the floor;). You are suppose to change the washer for the screw. After that i just pulled out the dip stick and poured 3quarts of oil in it. Took like 20 mins. I got a great deal on ebay where this guy was selling 3 quarts of honda atf and the washer for 19 bucks shipped to ur house. Check it out i believe he still has some available. And is should be fine to change the oil for urs. Mine has 130k on it and the oil was pure black and now it runs awsome! If you know for sure that no one has EVER changed the transmission oil then i would be worrried.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.