Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a a 1990 Honda Civic Si and plan on using it as a SCCA auto cross car. The stock motor is pretty much shot. 4 of the valves are bent and need to be replaced the head gasket is gone and the motor has 150k miles on it. I want to do a swap but im a little confused on what motor would work the best for autocrossing. Or would it just be better to rebuild the current motor with different internals.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
jrojewski said:
I bought a a 1990 Honda Civic Si and plan on using it as a SCCA auto cross car. The stock motor is pretty much shot. 4 of the valves are bent and need to be replaced the head gasket is gone and the motor has 150k miles on it. I want to do a swap but im a little confused on what motor would work the best for autocrossing. Or would it just be better to rebuild the current motor with different internals.
Just rebuild ther D series. If you do a swap you will be in a higher class, and get owned every time you race. Spend your money on tires, suspension, and brakes, they are more important than HP.

BTW my D-16 Y7 worked just fine for Auto-x (SM).

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
jrojewski said:
but wont it handle like shit cause of the extra weight? Or is it really not that much heavier.
you're thinking of the H22A prelude motor swap. that's the one that gives a bit of trouble with handling. but as for an LS. nope. not too much heavier ;)

ghost

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
PM targa250r, they have an ED hatch w/ a b18a swap that they use for SM.....its setup really well

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
fivepointhustla said:
If you setup the suspension with the PROPER STUFF will the h22 still be a bad choice for auto-x? What about a turbo'd b20 in auto-x?

in a 4th gen yes, there are too many modifications necessary to make the h22 run in a streetable fashion, it is a bad choice for autox IMO and a b20 turbo would be better, but then again that would put you into a FAR more competitive class where you will lose all the time

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Around here in nebraska there are only a few people in each class. In fact there is no one around here that has a swap in a civic so i would be the only one in my class. I also dont really worry about winning it just for fun.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
jrojewski said:
Around here in nebraska there are only a few people in each class. In fact there is no one around here that has a swap in a civic so i would be the only one in my class. I also dont really worry about winning it just for fun.
If your just intirested in fun, why are you looking into a swap. It will be the same lap times as a D series.

BTW: The swap should put you in SM, and that would land you in the same class as guys with built D series like me. ;)

·
Registered
434 Posts
I will prolly neva do any real auto-x but I use that as a comparison to driving on the streets because I drive fast and take turns fast. I deliver tractor parts and being fast helps my end of the week commissions.

I need a car that is agile (which I have done) and with great acceleration and okay top speed.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.