Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always hear of swaps for manual transmission car. I was wondering if it is possible to swap and engine in a automatic transmission car???

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would like to try an engine swap too but I'm sure most people would say to do a manual tranny swap to get the most out of the engine.

·
Super Bacon Mod
23,754 Posts
it can be done...you wont get the max potential out of the motor with an auto trans. Also, the ecu's that came with autos generally produce less power and all that good stuff. but if you arn't seriously worried about being the fastest thing on 4 wheels, go auto and build that motor and tranny up and suprise a lot of people with an auto. Im actually going to start working on a 91 integra ls turbo thats auto. Make it a sleeper and suprise a lot of people

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just did this a month ago. 4gen with H22A JDM Auto. It is easy. there is no additional wiring, just make sure you have the auto trans computer. The ecu is also badged as auto. Good luck. Oh and it makes the car what it should be, a nice sport sedan. The power is great.

·
Registered
322 Posts
would that be harder or would the manual conversion be harder?

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you already have an auto and swap an auto in. It is less to do, thus easier than converting from an auto to manual.

A manual to manual should be equal work as the auto to auto.

Now a Manual to auto. That sounds like a PITA. You would have to run all the wiring that the auto computer plugs into, since the manual set up would not have that.

Hope this helps.

·
Super Bacon Mod
23,754 Posts
swapping auto to manual can sometimes be very involved. If you know what you are doing it is fairly easy. For example, converting an automatic accord to manual you need the pedals, ecu, tranny, linkage, shifter and accessories, center console, gauge cluster, one of the mounts..i dont remember which..and you have to run new wires..There are some other steps but I dont remember off hand whatthey were..

so its very involved...but the pros definately outweigh the cons from a performance standpoint

·
Registered
209 Posts
well, an auto swap in a 6th gen civic is just a bit more of a hassle then a manual to manual swap would be.... three things

1) to keep things simple, get a b16 automatic with ALL the engine, and tranny mounts!!! (its gonna be hell to find JDM auto b series mounts in the USA)
2) your going to need a custom converstion harness (mine is being started on for 300 dollars.
3)don't have your heart on being the fastest thing on the road... cause its gonna take a little bit of work before you'll be able to suprise anyone....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts