Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a 91' Accord DX Automatic with no mods on it yet, but I would like to look into a way to convert the Automatic to Manual. I heard there was a way to do it with an accord and I know it's not that hard because one of my friends did it on his hyundai tiburon. Could anyone tell me if this is possible and how much it costs?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Search my friend. It depends on how cheap you can find the parts and what someone is willing to do perform the task for. Anyhow, check the stickies at the top and if they dont answer your questions(which they should), then search the forum and see what everyone else has done. Good luck though.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
if your car is bone stock they why not just sell it and buy another one thats already stick. i did it on my car but the only reason i spent the money and went through the grueling process was because i already have alot invested in it

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
bonestock94 said:
if your car is bone stock they why not just sell it and buy another one thats already stick. i did it on my car but the only reason i spent the money and went through the grueling process was because i already have alot invested in it

i agree on this one...in fact you could probly find one for sale somewhere that you could just trade your car for, or sell your car and buy the same year accord with a manual and probly turn a profit...

i would say that on a 94 bone stock accord this is not a worthwhile investment

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well a lot of people don't have that option. Sometimes people are attached to the car for certain reasons and its not just a buy and sell object to them. Anything is a worthwhile investment on your car if its what makes you happy. Also some people have had their parents or someone buy the car for them therefor do not have the final say in simply selling it and buying a new one.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Floyd550 said:
Well a lot of people don't have that option. Sometimes people are attached to the car for certain reasons and its not just a buy and sell object to them. Anything is a worthwhile investment on your car if its what makes you happy. Also some people have had their parents or someone buy the car for them therefor do not have the final say in simply selling it and buying a new one.

understood, but there are some cars that i wouldnt put money into... and a 94 accord with no mods to date could be a daily driver full of memories, but i think instead of making this car into something that it is not, i would advise the pruchase of a different car...

just my opinion. disregard it at will.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i think i was quoted around $1200 for the swap, parts and labor for a '97 accord. i doubt it would be much cheaper for an older car. it may be cheaper depending on where u live.

·
Registered
968 Posts
my conversion was probably the same as bonestock94's but did mine with the h22 swap. So if you plan on modding the car, you might want to think about a swap before so the motor is already out and makes the cutting much easier, unless you are paying someone to do it, then i would just go with that. I asked someone how much it would be to do the swap and the conversion and it wasn't 1200 dollars more, just a thought.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
See I would sell the car, but I don't actually own it, my dad just said I could do whatever the hell i wanted to it as long as i didnt break it. I also don't make nearly enough money to get something new. I checked out that link and it seems like it might work. My mechanic is pretty good & I asked him yesterday about doing this & he said it wouldnt be too hard & he could show me how to do it myself. How much is a Honda 5-speed tranny now? would the conversion stand up to some abuse? cause im not that great at stick yet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
it'd probably cost u around 2000 bux and its lots of labor :bh

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have an H22 auto in my Accord an I am very hapy with it. Pulls pretty hard. I would like to have a 5 spd but it still outruns most of the imports that I come across.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Floyd550 said:
I have an H22 auto in my Accord an I am very hapy with it. Pulls pretty hard. I would like to have a 5 spd but it still outruns most of the imports that I come across.
wow must not be very many imports in your area.

no it should not cost $2000 either. shit for that i much i should start doing it for a living.

·
Registered
293 Posts
bonestock94 said:
wow must not be very many imports in your area.

no it should not cost $2000 either. shit for that i much i should start doing it for a living.
Well I don't exactly go looking for cars to race either. Just b/c it is auto doesn't mean it is a worthless piece of shit like many people on this site would like to believe. My car outruns a stock or near stock GSR, Si, GT Eclipse, and runs dead even with a 5 spd. prelude with roughly the same mods as I have. And actually there are quite a few imports in my area but I don't claim to have a damn race car so I don't race any of them out on the road b/c that is just dumb. I am actually proud of my car so back off please.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
chill i used to have an automatic with spray before i converted to stick so i know too.

the fastests 5th gen h22 auto NA ive ever seen/heard/read ran a flat 15.0 at the quarter. that GSR driver most not be a very good driver, they can do better than that bone stock.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well God forbid my automatic honda would outrun anything respectable. Listen there are alot of excuses people can make as to why a car outruns another but I don't really care what kind of driver they are or any other circumstance. And for what its worth, I consider him to be a very good driver so I think that MAYBE my car is just simply faster than a stock GSR, as well as several other imports. I really don't factor in reasons or excuses. I have won more times than I have lost and that is really all that matters to me. Winning is winning. Don't believe me, just ask Vin Diesel :rolleyes

1 - 19 of 19 Posts