Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
GlamGirl007` said:
What can you do as far as performance for an Automatic?
you can do pretty much anything to a auto that you would do with a stick. expect for like a performance clutch and flywheel. but yeah its just how far do you want to go cause your auto tranny can only take so much more power than you have right now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The auto tranny can handle NO more power than the car is blessed with in stock form. Add an intake and a heavy right foot, and you'll have a torque converter that's as fucked up and slippy as mine.

MRXMUFFIN is right in saying that you can do anything as long as it doesn't involve a manual gearbox, but you can pile on as much power as your heart desires provided that you beef up the transmission as well. Luckily, there are places like www.levelten.com that provide said service, as well as cool toys like Manumatic-type clutchless shift systems, and 5 speed semi-automatic gearboxes (at hefty prices).

The performance minded individual would tell you to ditch the auto and either change to a manual, or buy a 5 speed and sell the auto. As a voice of reason, i'll tell you that if any sadistic bastard ever tells you something like that, they've obviously never driven in L.A. traffic. Fuckin Shit...

-b

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
ya what he said... level 10 is the only way to go if u wanna beef up and auto.. I have an auto with an i/h/e and tons of other little things.. already blew one tranny....

·
Registered
14 Posts
what exactly is this level 10 torque converter thang?

im buying an automatic teg soon, and i dont understand why, but apparentely the automatic transmission cant handle mods without a torque converter, wheras the manual can handle them fine. makes no sense to me, but then again im a n00b.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Automatics arent that bad. You know that most drag imports are automatics? Because they have more of a consistancy and there is little if any chance of a miss shift. I dont think autos are all that bad, if anything get a tranny swap. You can do alot more than just I/H/E.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
KrAnKyKrEmE said:
The auto tranny can handle NO more power than the car is blessed with in stock form. Add an intake and a heavy right foot, and you'll have a torque converter that's as fucked up and slippy as mine.

MRXMUFFIN is right in saying that you can do anything as long as it doesn't involve a manual gearbox, but you can pile on as much power as your heart desires provided that you beef up the transmission as well. Luckily, there are places like www.levelten.com that provide said service, as well as cool toys like Manumatic-type clutchless shift systems, and 5 speed semi-automatic gearboxes (at hefty prices).

The performance minded individual would tell you to ditch the auto and either change to a manual, or buy a 5 speed and sell the auto. As a voice of reason, i'll tell you that if any sadistic bastard ever tells you something like that, they've obviously never driven in L.A. traffic. Fuckin Shit...

-b
Welcome back from the dead Brian:D

I'll leave this one all to you then?

A.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Yes autos can be consistent for drag, but for ANY other kind of racing they blow ass, remember not all races are in a straight line. Plus stock autos DO sap power and acceleration. Auto LS's put down about 10-15whp less at the wheels, shift slowly, and have 4 long, widely spaced gears.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i had 2 auto tegs b4 and i would never buy another one again , trannies are very sensitive, they start slipping quick if your heavy on the foot like i am, and i was going to do a tranny swap and i was being charged 3k for the whole swap tranny included, its alot of work so one day i woke up and said Fu-k it i sold the damn teg and bought me same year teg, but manual

·
Registered
63 Posts
back from the dead, i guess...

so here i am...re-animated...i'm glad that somebody saved the crap that i wrote once upon a time...

Funny you should write "back from the dead" because i almost was...hit wall at 90mph...

Anyway...BrianIntegraBoy is now BrianM3Boy...and as far as transmissions go, i believe the the answer you've all been searching for is...

"When weighed against the crushing banality of our daily existence--toiling away like ants beneath the burning CFC magnified sunlight to squander our dime foolishly and waste away in corporate jail cells to earn it back--marching--one by one--into the blackened palms of death's eternal grasp...one can only hope, in those final fleeting moments before one's central nervous system ceases to communicate with the brain and the last drops of dear life slip swiftly down the plughole...that one has made the proper decision in selecting a transmission. Holy mother of god i hope i picked the right fucking transmission. Fade to black."

You're all silly. Fuck y'all with broomsticks. Except you Anton--i love you like a brother, man...seriously.

-b

·
Registered
128 Posts
Re: back from the dead, i guess...

KrAnKyKrEmE said:

You're all silly. Fuck y'all with broomsticks.

-b
Hi, I have special needs....my bodily orifices are allergic to wood. So if you could make that a steel (preferably stainless) broomstick, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

And make sure you thrust (yes, like a prelude ;) ) it slowly.

hahahahah....i come back after a year of not posting to post that...i'm amazed with myself. Only something as momentous as a resurrection could bring me back....

·
Registered
63 Posts
That was supposed to be my last post on SHO...upwards of 5000 posts, and that's how i wanted to end it...i wanted to highlight the futility of automotive modification, but NOOO...Jon had to roll in here and steal my damn thunder.

Someone up there didn't quite grasp the concept of the auto tranny (UberTeg?)...all automatic transmissions have torque converters. Manual transmissions work by way of a clutch that acts as a translator between the tranny and the engine...automatic transmissions don't have this direct friction translator, so to grab the friction point in every gear with an automatic transmission, a torque converter is employed. They call this friction point a "stall speed"...note, the next time you drive an automatic car, that when you mash the gas, the revs will skyrocket before the car catches gear. This is the torque converter at work...converting, appropriately, the spin of the engine into torque. Hondas come with fucking awful torque converters. The end.

::sigh::

Okay, fine, Jon...you may be reamed with a stainless steel pole. If anyone else requires special attention, raise your hand now. Nobody? Good--everybody bend over.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i definitly want manual, but thing is my parents need to be able to drive my car as well. Neither can drive stick, but my dad is willing to learn. mom is not. considering there paying for it, i dont have choice. i am not allowed to buy one myself either. pretty shitty...but anway im sure you young guys had something like this happen to you. how did you/should i go about getting my parents to learn stick? espcially mom, who doesnt like to drive already!?

·
Registered
128 Posts
UberTeg said:
i definitly want manual, but thing is my parents need to be able to drive my car as well. Neither can drive stick, but my dad is willing to learn. mom is not. considering there paying for it, i dont have choice. i am not allowed to buy one myself either. pretty shitty...but anway im sure you young guys had something like this happen to you. how did you/should i go about getting my parents to learn stick? espcially mom, who doesnt like to drive already!?
Tell them how much cheaper the car will be and how much better the gas mileage will also be. Tell them how they will not be supporting those nasty terrorists anymore since they'll be buying less gas. Tell them it's easy, that anyone can do it. Tell them damn near anything you want to (don't tell them you'll ream them with a broomstick. Brian utilized it well in this situation but it really only works in isolated situations such as this one....but it usually it doesn't work with parents, so use it with caution)

·
Registered
14 Posts
shit my mom refuses to drive stick...is it worth getting an automatic teg? they sound poopy...

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Dude, tell your mom she's not as cool as the other moms. I got my family's first manual car in over a decade, and then my mom relearned a stick so that she could buy an Audi TT, which is stick only. She's 55 years old!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts