Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
196 Posts
well...hard to say EXACTLY how much time they'd take off but, i do know that my car is being super restricted right now by me ECU. When Gimmick and i lined up the couple times we did, he consistantly beat my by half a second. And apparently his car does not seem to be ECU restricted like mine.

BTW we have almost the same amout of mods, except he has a hi-flo cat, catback piping, pulleys and CAI.

· Registered
274 Posts
Frank. The pulleys and CAI will make a difference. As far as hi-flo and catback i'm not sure yet.

By the way I took out my ik20 plugs and went back to stock. My car pulls harder but my SRS light is on. I guess I gotta splurge $60 for another dyno. :(

· Registered
196 Posts
i guess i didnt mention i have a shortram also. but the thing isthat pulleys and cai will NOT make ur car 1/2 second faster than mine.

btw Gimmick hasone of the really early 00 models. he got it in 99 right when the 00's came out.

and i've also talked to uciaccordv6 about this. he had headers and definetely felt the additional power they gave out. he also had a 00, but bought his in late 99.

· Registered
274 Posts
Frank what plugs do you have?

I think with the extra 2 hp from CAI, 4 hp from pulleys, 4 hp total from hiflo and catback exhaust it might help. Check your launch, tire pressure, and elevation/temperature too. I hope my prob is the plugs.

· Registered
274 Posts
Dont worry dude. Everybody has to learn at some time. :)

Torque Braking:
You line up at a dead stop. With your left foot hold down your brake. With your right get your car up to a desired RPM. For example 1800 RPM seems right on my car. When you get to the gas at 1800RPM WHILE holding down the brake let go of the brake and gas it. Once you get the timing right you'll get a launch better than if you just gas it and go.

A few notes: Dont hold down the gas for too long before doing this. YOu will fuck up your tranny. Plus if you do it a lot youll fuck up your tranny. Always do your tranny fluid flushes every so often. :cool:

· Registered
26 Posts
I think Comptech Headers should take off a noticeable amount of time. They offer a pretty good amount of HP and Torque. They better for $1200.

· Registered
364 Posts
thanx doom, that's what i thought it was, i was just making sure. how bad is it for your brakes though? and does it affect anything else other than the transmission?

· Registered
54 Posts
I swapped out my thermal axle-back mufflers for the stock ones so I could pick up a few bucks. I added this to some other bucks (around 975 of them in all...gotta love ebay) for a new Comptech header. At the track I was able to run 15.6s and 15.7s when the temperature was down to around 40-45 degrees. Last time I ran when it was that cold I ran 15.7s and 15.8s.

How much did I lose by going back to the stock exhaust? No telling. But I am a little discouraged by a dyno plot I saw on AV6 that somebody (sorry...don't remember who and I can't look it up until AV6 comes back to life) had the Comptech header and dynoed the factory exhaust against the Comptech axlebacks. The results showed no gain until well up in the rev range. And not a whole lot there. So, unless thermal knows something comptech doesn't, perhaps the header didn't get me much. Of course it is almost worth it just for the looks. And if and when I install some type of power adder (nos or supercharger) I expect the header will make a bigger difference.

Of course if somebody wants to Fed-Ex a pair of comptech axlebacks to me overnight, I could test them this Wed. It is still supposed to be pretty cold that night and we could have a real a-b resut. So who's gonna step up in the interest of science? :p

· Registered
196 Posts
hey TOF, what year is your car? if its 00-02 u will NEED some type of ECU mod to take advantage of your headers.

And about the IK20s i have right now, i think they are not good for my car because i am being restricted to 164hp. which is basically stock. I may switch over to IK16 until i can get the ECU mod.

As far as my launch, i had very good launches. I ran my best of 15.8 when i ran against Gimmick. He ran a 15.3 on that run. We were both obviously in the save elevation(~1500ft). My tire pressure was at about 24-25 in the front and 32 in the rear.

ive had quite a bit of track experience, so i know that my track skills are not the reason behind my slowness.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.