Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love AWD cars... but i love my accord... how doable is it for me to combine the two? could i get the suspension and drivetrain and whatnot from a WRX or something and swap it in without too much difficulty? or would it be easier to fab somethin up? or is it just borderline impossible?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i wouldnt expect it to cost me more than maybe 30k lol ive never seen a lambo for that price.

it just seems like it wouldnt be THAT bad... but maybe im crazy

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
dryerlint said:
I love AWD cars... but i love my accord... how doable is it for me to combine the two? could i get the suspension and drivetrain and whatnot from a WRX or something and swap it in without too much difficulty? or would it be easier to fab somethin up? or is it just borderline impossible?
why from a subie when Honda already has a AWD Vehicle ala CRV? Though its only a part time AWD but bet you you can buy a mechanical center diff that lock tq bias 40/60 instead of the part time electronic AWD. But why go thru all this when FWD Accord is very capable machine. I'm pretty sure the B20 can fit the accord engine bay but major modidications are required to do this. I believe in the Land of the Rising Sun, an AWD Accord wagon was and is available

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
you can get one off of Accord-Euro R ala TSX-typeR.

or regular japanese accord's have awd system in the higher models.

but if I were you...

save the 10,000 you are about to spend to have a awd Accord and just...
not do it.

buy a already AWD car.. or import the JDM Accord here, easy.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
dryerlint said:
This isn't really a searchable topic, so I'll bite.

You would need a new engine, transmission, and a 4WD transfer case. There is no possible way to do this with your current drivetrain because no AWD variants of the Accord were prodiced from the factory. In order to make your Accord all wheel drive, you would need to swap an entire 4WD CRV engine/tranny/case combo, including the axles, driveshaft, and rear differential. Then you would need to throw out the driveshaft and axles because they won't fit the length and width of your wheelbase, in favor of custom units from a 4WD shop. I can't imagine this working without cutting into the floorpan unless you don't mind 4WD-like ride height. On the bright side, there should be plenty of room under the hood for the little B20, though you will need custom motor mounts. The result would be a 146hp 2.0 liter engine, which can be brought to roughly 190hp with a VTEC head. In order to make it true AWD, you will need a set of limited slip differentials: fron, rear, and center.

You could also buy an old Impreza and swap in a JDM wrx engine for 270hp.

·
Registered
319 Posts
hello!
Acura RL!
all time AWD.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
dryerlint said:
anything can be done with enough money...will it be easy? no. as flyingtoaster said, much custom work will be needed and the end result is most likely not worth the effort.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
while we're at it why don't I suggest a RWD conversion using S2K drivetrain? But you don't need a front LSD in a AWD car. Look at the Lambo Murcielago, it has an open front diff. Transfer case is only for 4wd vehicles. AWD vehicles have a center diff. The mitsu Evo has an open front diff except the Evo MR. Good thing about the CRV the center diff is built into the transaxle so I believe the AWD swap is doable as long as your check clears. But CRV is only part time AWD so you'll need to toss the tranaxle/center diff and get a custom transaxle/diff that locks the tq either 50/50, 40/60, etc, which by itself is gonna run you oodles of money. Just stick with your accord or get a Subie or Evo or old school celica 4trac or a 4wd truck

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
on second thought, the crv was an electronic awd system so you probably could get a computer geek to reprogram the AWD brain to lock the tq bias because stock CRV only engages rear wheels when it detects front wheel slippage. but how strong can the CRV transaxle be? you'll end up spending lotsa money

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
ThirdLane said:
while we're at it why don't I suggest a RWD conversion using S2K drivetrain? But you don't need a front LSD in a AWD car. Look at the Lambo Murcielago, it has an open front diff. Transfer case is only for 4wd vehicles. AWD vehicles have a center diff. The mitsu Evo has an open front diff except the Evo MR. Good thing about the CRV the center diff is built into the transaxle so I believe the AWD swap is doable as long as your check clears. But CRV is only part time AWD so you'll need to toss the tranaxle/center diff and get a custom transaxle/diff that locks the tq either 50/50, 40/60, etc, which by itself is gonna run you oodles of money. Just stick with your accord or get a Subie or Evo or old school celica 4trac or a 4wd truck
I assumed that a front LSD balances power between the fron wheels, a rear LSD transfers power between the rear wheels, and a center diff transfers power if both front or both rear wheels are slipping. Wouldn't it be better ofr the Mercilago to have a front LSD?

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
*sigh* i swear you guys need to search from the source :hehe
http://world.honda.com/news/1999/4990121.html
mad-ass said:
you can get one off of Accord-Euro R ala TSX-typeR.
or regular japanese accord's have awd system in the higher models.
but if I were you...
save the 10,000 you are about to spend to have a awd Accord and just...
not do it.
buy a already AWD car.. or import the JDM Accord here, easy.
I mentioned it earlier, they just didn't pay attention to me :tu

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
it's called tranny swap...

·
Registered
389 Posts
there is no logic in making the your accord and AWD. no point at all. like everyone had already stated, you will spend tons of money and the outcome (if even successful) will not be worth the time/planning/effort/money that you put in to it. I know, mail that idea in to Monster Garage and maybe they'll use it for an episode. Let them use your car and you can get it back when they're done :w00t

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
sosojdmaccord94 said:
there is no logic in making the your accord and AWD. no point at all. like everyone had already stated, you will spend tons of money and the outcome (if even successful) will not be worth the time/planning/effort/money that you put in to it. I know, mail that idea in to Monster Garage and maybe they'll use it for an episode. Let them use your car and you can get it back when they're done :w00t
holy shit dude! :wow
why didn't i think of that?
you the man! :tu

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
you will not have enough power to turn all 4 wheels, my car barely moves on 2 wheel drive, and now you add friction from all the parts required for AWD, you will have a slow ass awd car! Save your money and buy that WRX you always secretly wanted :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts