Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
punkracer said:
isnt the new RL have real time awd. i belive its eletronicly controlled.
i think its actually real AWD, but dont quote me. i think i read its awd that electronically can send up to 100%power to one wheel, and changes how much power is sent to which wheels and everything while turning hard.

·
Registered
21 Posts
iLLeFFeKt CiViC said:
admit it....you're just trying to get into her pants.
the $5000 wont be enough. that will barely cover to fix the damage on the car plus few extra parts. you need a lot more time and money to make a civic into awd. its easier just to go out and get an awd car and start from there.
Get into her pants :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you go on Honda's Japanese website you will see that Honda sells a AWD 5-door civic in JAPAN. It took me about an hour to find the cars on their website because with it being all in Japanese I was looking at little squares where words were supposed to be in Japenese. Although the car names were in english. Hmmm, don't understand that. Anyways, the five door civic looks like a stretched Civic SI.

·
Registered
4 Posts
all cars names ARE in english in japan. they also use english letters as another form of writing japanese. for example:

watashiwa namakemono des.
i am a.......lazy azz.

i learned this first hand at a barbershop there (she called me "a lazy azz!")

·
Registered
11 Posts
shit i was looking for this i saw that there wasan awd civic in my repair manuel and was going to see if anyone has done it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Early on, someone posted a link to some earlier Civics with AWD, like the Civic wagon, that was sold here...
...and someone mentioned that they now wanted one, even though they were ugly.

I just wanted to mention that I owned one of those Civic wagons (albeit not an AWD model) - an '87 Civic wagon that was my first "nice" car - a 5-speed manual transmission... and the car was still slow as a worm in dirt.

I remember we manually clocked the 0-60 speed, and it was something like 12 or 13 seconds. :hehe

While you might be able to fix some of that with some hot-rodding, I can guarantee you that this car had well short of 100 horsepower stock... those AWD parts were just designed for use on this economy motor... I would guess that the components wouldn't hold up to too much more horsepower - and I haven't ever heard of anyone making stronger versions of those parts. :(

So, using CRV or Element drivetrain components really doesn't seem like a bad idea... I wouldn't hunt down those questionable eighties anemic econobox parts to base my sports car project on.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
i think people were more interested in the fact that these were already set up for awd, and would require as much cutting/fabrication to mount crv parts into as a newer civic/teg would.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Possibly not as much cutting, and it sure would make for a "sleeper"... :hehe

But you'd likely need to build in a full roll cage into one of those cars... again, the stock HP issue... even though they were AWD, they had a piddly amount of "push" on the car, whatever percentage of torque was routed to the rear wheels, on those stock AWD cars, or 4wd or whatever they actually were.

If you changed that, with a good hot rodded car, so that you had a significant amount of torque thrusting those rear wheels, pushing what still essentially is a FWD car, I would fear all kinds of chassis twisting issues. :eek

Definitely something to keep in mind! Those cars simply didn't come with any significant power... I can't even imagine what owning an automatic version of one of those cars was like. My stick was bad enough. :D

41 - 54 of 54 Posts