Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I just got my spc camber kit for my 98 base in the mail. I dropped it off at the shop today to have them install it. My mechanic called me back about an hour later and told me that it was going to take about 6 hours of labor to install it on all four wheels and this doesnt even include and alignment afterwards!!! Is this right? I always take my car to this guy and he has never steered me wrong, is it that they just don't know how to do it? The install instructions from the spc website says it only takes .8 hrs to do. He told me the back ones are easy but with the front he has to take out the control arms. Somebody please tell me this is wrong cuz 6hrs of labor is gonna cost me like 350. :cry

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
it didn't even take me 6 hours to install my springs and struts.... BY MYSELF!! :lol2

sounds like your man don't know what he's doin :rolleyes

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bastards!!! Thanks for the info, that's what I figured, these guys don't specialize in suspension and probably don't know wtf they're doing. The sad part is that I even printed out the instuctions with colored and detailed pictures from the spc website and gave it to them. I don't know what the hell he was talking about 6hrs. I figured he was wrong, but I thought I'd make sure first. If I end up doing it myself are there any special tools I need or anything I should know about doing it?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yeah i sat and watched the guy do it and it only took like 45 minutes for both fronts. And he definately didnt take out the control arm ;) .

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
prelude2perfect said:
Bastards!!! Thanks for the info, that's what I figured, these guys don't specialize in suspension and probably don't know wtf they're doing. The sad part is that I even printed out the instuctions with colored and detailed pictures from the spc website and gave it to them. I don't know what the hell he was talking about 6hrs. I figured he was wrong, but I thought I'd make sure first. If I end up doing it myself are there any special tools I need or anything I should know about doing it?
anyone?

·
Registered
111 Posts
the only tool you might need is the Pitman Arm Puller ($20)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's the update, I called the shop this morning and complained and told him 6hrs is total bs. He told me that they had to remove the control arms to install them on the front. Are you guys positive that doesn't need to be done??? Cuz if he did need to take them off to do it then I can understand why it would take so long

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I just got off the phone with the honda service department and they said to replace the ball joints on the front that you WOULD have to remove the control arms to do it and that 6 hrs does sound about right. :( this sucks

·
Registered
351 Posts
Look dude, I helped install my fronts. There was NO removal of the control arms. All you need is two people, a prybar (to hold the control arm down while removing the old ball joint), a dremmel, and an impact wrench. Thats it, no 6 hours, no BS. ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
eyelessH22 said:
Look dude, I helped install my fronts. There was NO removal of the control arms. All you need is two people, a prybar (to hold the control arm down while removing the old ball joint), a dremmel, and an impact wrench. Thats it, no 6 hours, no BS. ;)
whats the dremmel for?

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
I did my whole suspension and camber kits in probably 4-6 hours with hand jack tools, and hand tools. no power tools at all....and I did all four. Depending on the camber kit....it does take some time to install. I highly doubt people install their suspension in 1 hour if they are using hand tools and jacks...there usually is always one corner thats a pain in the ass...and I used no special tools to remove my shocks....it was pretty tough to snake the rear suspension out without dropping the upper control arms off.

I think 6 hours is too much....but if they included the alignment and everything...and aligning the camber kits...plus the install of everything...I wouldn't doubt 4-5 hours.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts