Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

i`m considering dropping a VTEC lump into my D15B2 engined EG civic.

i know the B18B1/C1 variant will drop straight in (according to http://tech.hybridgarage.com/) with the minimum of fuss.

however, i`ve been told a 'bolt in' engine is simply that, not the drop & drive conversion.

ok, i got the engine in, and i can get some custom driveshafts (at a price) made. which isnt too much of a problem, a minor setback, but not major.

my main concern is wiring compatability. maybe there is a test on my loom to check if i have VTEC ability? anyone have info on this?

thanks
tim draper

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
cx,dx does not have a wire for vtec...but the vx i think has one already....the wiring for vtec on a 92-95 hatch isnt that hard you just send one line out from the ecu to activate the vtec...my friend did a LS swap in a hatch and it drop right in very easy it would be better if you have proper mounts but you can still used the stock ones (please correct me on this if im wrong)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh yeah, i forgot, it's the LSI - UK/european spec.

something else i just thought of.....
do i need improved fuel pump? (ie, from the 1800)
can i use the civic radiator, or is it too small?
the wiring (again).... do i just swap ECU to the VTEC, add the VTEC wiring to the exsisting loom, and away i go in the cloud of smoke? or do i have to remove exsisting loom and fit the complete VTEC loom?
can i use exsisting driveshafts, or are they different lengths/end fixings?

also, is the exsisting/VTEC loom JUST engine control, or does it get sent to the dials for rpm, speed, etc?

atm, aslong as insurance is reasonable (i'm 21, 2yrs NCB, 1claim and 3points) it looks like i`ll be doing it.

thanks
tim

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i dont know much about the loom part but it would be better if you change radiator becuz it will keep it cooler then the stock civic radiator will... and for the fuel i think it a must for it to be upgraded ... and for the drive shaft you would have to use b-series driveshaft the d-series will not work...

i hope that help you out...

so basically

new driveshaft? yes b-series(integra)
new fuel pump? yes aftermarket
new radiator? yes b-series(del sol) is fine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, thanks for all that. seems very straight forward.

can you think of anything else i need to take into account that a may of overlooked? (i`ll be making sure i get a hydrylic clutch gearbox btw, so no modding on that front)

tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts