Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mowing ur Mom's lawn
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a B16A3 right now....and was planning on getting a B18C1
for a turbo project. If both motors were built up and everything would there be any marginal gains of the B18 over the B16 or would i just be waisting my money on the B18 when i could have just dumped it into the motor i have right now?

·
Registered
786 Posts
LostSolVTEC said:
I have a B16A3 right now....and was planning on getting a B18C1
for a turbo project. If both motors were built up and everything would there be any marginal gains of the B18 over the B16 or would i just be waisting my money on the B18 when i could have just dumped it into the motor i have right now?
Well, of course the B18 will give some good gains over the B16 due to the simple fact of displacement. However, if it was choice between buying a B18C or putting that money in the B16 and building it, I'd put my money in the B16. Spend your money re-sleeving it to an 84mm bore, than you'll almost have pretty close to 1.8 that is fully built.

·
Mowing ur Mom's lawn
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i was gonna do if i kept the B16 was releeve and bore it out...i just don't wanna let my motor go to waist u know?

·
Registered
153 Posts
With good sleeves you can have the same displacement and a lot stronger block for alot less than buying a new motor.

i.e. if you can get sleeves that will increase your bore to 81mm and thus give you displacement of 1.8, the same as if you had a b18c1

·
Mowing ur Mom's lawn
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how big can i bore out my B16? is 84mm too big ? It will be sleeved.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
u could go 84.5mm (the realistic max bore SLEEVED)

84mm is fine

With an 84mm bore, your looking at a smidgen more than 1.7L

U cannont bore a B16 to 1.8 just with bore. (im sure someone will say u can).

To get 1.8L with bore only youd need 86mm pistons.

Why because the stroke in a b16 is only 77mm as to 87 in a b18c, quite a difference.

Anyway, a built B16 bored to 84mm will have plenty of potential.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Defi4nce is exactly correct.

And an 84mm bore turbo B16 that revs to 9K would be ALOT of fun.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I might slap some 84mm pistons in my b16 block, just need it bored out. :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
a b16 would be better on the street. if your built and have a good sized turbo 450hp isnt hard to do on either engine. the b16 will have less torque and that means less rolling the tires off on the street.

·
Mowing ur Mom's lawn
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the only palce i've found that makes B16 pistons in 84mm (it's really 83.9mm but it's close) is Arias and they have them in 9.5:1 compression so i guess i'm gonna go with those

·
Registered
172 Posts
dude..... lots of places have 84mm pistons. contact www.hondaraceengines.com if you want some hardcore shit, his pistons are good for about 5-10hp per cylinder over a normal piston

·
Mowing ur Mom's lawn
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i was gonna check them out but i wasn't sure how much their pistons are in comparisson to the other ones i'm gonna have to e-mail or call them so that i can compare prices.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts