Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we just installed B16 piston in ls block and its low compression i mean i read and i see in here about these pistons being great and give high compression better than the type r's my friends ls and he has the P73A0's and he is hitting 222 psi each cylinder but its giving me 160 psi each cylinder with these B16 pistons i mean whats going on and also its hitting the valves please help!!!!!!!! and oh yea i have a 2 layer head gasket and im using the ls rods and crank, its and all motor ls not ls vtec help!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
zerocool2377 said:
we just installed B16 piston in ls block and its low compression i mean i read and i see in here about these pistons being great and give high compression better than the type r's my friends ls and he has the P73A0's and he is hitting 222 psi each cylinder but its giving me 160 psi each cylinder with these B16 pistons i mean whats going on and also its hitting the valves please help!!!!!!!! and oh yea i have a 2 layer head gasket and im using the ls rods and crank, its and all motor ls not ls vtec help!!!!!!!!
:lol if ur pistons were hitting ur valves ud have been fucked the second u started that engine. when a valve strikes a piston kiss the piston :bye

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i read u can go with these pistons also in a all motor ls but it did not go that way with me its hitting the valves but no it did not mest up anything my mechanic rip everything off the engine it look great. Acordding to him he said he called J&G technicans and they said there is no way b16 pistons who have 10.1 and 10.4 CP can give a ls any higher CP. and they also said the reason why i dont have any valve clearence is cuz the pistons are too domy and the ls head combustion chamber is not as dommy as a ***** head is. IF i waz to put in a ***** head like a si i will have cleareance but im going all motor ls the non ***** head combustion chamber is not as domy as a ***** is thus giving me no valve clearence and loosing CP he is going to make it work he jut order a OEM head gasket and he is going to put 4 layers just to be safe but he waz going 3 but just to be safe he is going to put 4 so what do ya think help me guys. :cry

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Sentences, man... sentences.

People have used B16A pistons in all-motor LS setups so many times before... it works. What cams are you using? People use the P30s with Crower 404s all the time and have no problems. I don't know what's happening with your friend's... although if anything I would think it's the thin head gasket... really takes a bite out of valve clearance. If you're putting in pistons that bump the compression by over 1.5 points, why bother with using a more risky head gasket (and altering your cam timing also btw) just to get another 0.1-0.2? Just get the right pistons for the right C/R and be happy with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well he used the stock ls head gasket and made it to a 2 layer but he order a OEM 3 layer head gasket but he is going to put in 4 just to be safe. Do u think by resurfacing the head might be at play here too? And as for the cams he is using the 94 and up ls cams apperantly their a bit better than the 90-93 like i said he is going stock internals for now will upgrade soon.Claying what u mean about that what does that do???

·
Registered
342 Posts
zerocool2377 said:
Acordding to him he said he called J&G technicans and they said there is no way b16 pistons who have 10.1 and 10.4 CP can give a ls any higher CP. and they also said the reason why i dont have any valve clearence is cuz the pistons are too domy and the ls head combustion chamber is not as dommy as a ***** head is. IF i waz to put in a ***** head like a si i will have cleareance but im going all motor ls the non ***** head combustion chamber is not as domy as a ***** is thus giving me no valve clearence and loosing CP
alright man... according the cspeedracing.com's compression calculator test, b16 pistons will raise your cp to 11.39:1 I dont know what you're mechanic said exactly, but just listen to yourself. If your pistons are "too domy" as you've called it and are HITTING METAL VALVES, metal to metal contact is called "smashy smashy" ... good luck in the future. thats gonna cost some money to fix...

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Yes, machining the head would factor in there too, I forgot about that. It is safe to say that that is what's causing it... or the timing is completely whack.

Claying the motor is when you put a peice of clay on top of the piston and cycle the motor to see if the valve pushes all the way thru the clay... if it does you have piston/valve contact. I can't believe he didn't clay the motor.... :ahh

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
lugnutRS said:
I just find that mad funny. :hehe
lol, me too. And yeah if you milled ur head thats ur problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
when ya mean milled u mean the ports or the resurface part cuz thats what we did we resurface the head. And everything is ok we did not turn on the motor so everything is cool we moved it by hand u know the pully we moved it and we heard the click noise. And its a 3 layer Ls headgasket but he pulled one off to make it a 2 layer just to make more CP but that did not work as ya read on my earlier thread "pistons hitting the valves" so we decided to go with an OEM 3 Layer headgasket but he wants to make it a 4 layer to be safe what ya think 3 or 4 to give me more clearence on the head so the pistons wont touch the valves?

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
No one ever listens about it taking alot of knowledge skill and care to build an engine properly...Honestly what everyone said sounds about right to me. Take it apart and see what happened, and next time maybe you'll do more research before you put something together. Engines are serious shit man and its a real bitch to fuck them up. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts