Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a b16a(1st gen) in my '90 si hatch. I bought it off a good friend and there was talk about the vtec not working. anyway, the car pulls good up to 8k, but the ecu is throwing code 21(vtec solenoid valve not properly functioning) and this was only after an accident in which my friend was driving my car:mad: the other day. So the car ran the same before and after the accident, but now the ecu is throwing code 21. is it possible the car can still pull to 8k and vtec is not engaging? I am gonna clean the screen on the solenoid and what not soon, so we'll see...

I have another question I'll post when my fingers recover:)

· Registered
1,428 Posts
yes because the rev limiter is not set to kick in on that engine till a higher RPM.........it might feel like it is still pulling but in reality it is no where near efficiency

· Registered
2,575 Posts
You should use the SEARCH function...youll get your question answered faster.

Anyways here is what you should do inorder to find out if anything is faulty or what not:

I suggest you run a valve/pressure switch check. Basically checking your vtec solenoid and sensors with an ohmmeter and voltimeter.

Here a reply I posted a while back;
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=55051&highlight=vtec

Here goes:
-disconnect the round electrical connector from the pressure switch, then connect the ohmmeter between the terminals of the switch. You should have continuity because its a new switch...but if not its faulty, replace it.

-If thats A-OK than the next thing to check for are any breaks or misconnections...you'll see a blue/black wire in the terminal, connect the voltimeter to a ground and to the blue/black terminal. There should be approx. 12 volts with the key in the ON position.
If its around 12 volts its okay, if not there could be a bad ground or break in the wires, check the ecu.

This should solve your problem...worst case scenario unhook you V-AFC and see if the problem still exists.If it doesnt, your VAFC could be faulty, installed improperly, or tuned incorrectly.

Whenever problems in the VTEC system are suspected, you should check the filter and O-ring located between the solenoid valve and the cylinder head. Hope that helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.