Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
b16 OVERATED ! vs sohc vtec !

ok so i have a jdm sohc vtec 95 hatchback civic with intake exhaust, dont have right ecu or oxygen sensor and today me and my friend in a 96 coupe civic with a b16 were racing and i was right beside him all the way he couldnt even leave me by a car length and he has intake and exhaust aswell ! i have a stage 2 clutch though and he doesnt ! it was a girl driving the sohc vtec and boy in coupe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
what do you mean the b16 is overrated? think about it, the d16z6 makes 125 hp, the b16a makes 160. of course, the different engines in different cars will be different. try the 2 engines in exact same cars, then we'd see why the b16 is a little more popular than the d16. 6th gen civic's weigh a lot more than 5th gen, and yes driver does make a difference too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
1 point 6 said:
riiiiight, cause that solves everything. :rolleyes:

it even says in your sig you dont have traction in 1st and 2nd, so a cavalier could pull on you, what good is it?
Your right a Cavalier did get me off the line the other day but didn't have shit on me as I blew past him in 2nd at 1/4 throttle and then layed it down in 3rd full throttle. I beleive it doesn't matter if you get me off the line because I will still win in 3rd at the least if I don't catch or pass you in second that is. Also the problem will soon be rectified by some better tires and possibly a LSD. Then I'll be a hole shotting bastard like the old days! Yee Haa bring all the stupid Cavaliers yu want punk and put you best dress on cause when I'm done with you I'll put you on the street where you belong???? That seemed to fit somehow...sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
just chillin said:
what do you mean the b16 is overrated? think about it, the d16z6 makes 125 hp, the b16a makes 160. of course, the different engines in different cars will be different. try the 2 engines in exact same cars, then we'd see why the b16 is a little more popular than the d16. 6th gen civic's weigh a lot more than 5th gen, and yes driver does make a difference too.
I mean is't over rated and over done by everyone and their mom. I didn't say it was a piece of shit or anything is just people thingk that's the only engine to use for every kind of racing and that's BS. And I'll prove it with a bit more cash and tuning on my car as it weighs a lot less then a friends 90Si with a B20 VTEC that can barely barely barely pull on me anyways. We both have the same shit done pretty much besides the motor choice. And when he had the B16 he said it wasn't worth the money hence the B20 with the B16 head. Plus I have smoked and I mean smoked B16 hatch swaps numerous times. And yeah they are pretty fast but I have about the same hp but something that is worth more than all the hp in the world. I have torque from under even 3000 to reline like a son of a bitch. B16 has no torque down there just like my motor before the turbo. And turbo does pretty much solve all problems anyways what kind of retarded thing was that to say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
ya that's true about how a lot of people think of the b16 as the miracle engine that'll smoke anything on the street. imo its good enough for the 5th gen civic's, which don't weigh anything, but for the 6th gen if i was getting a swap i'd get at least a 1.8L.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
638 Posts
if your friends CRVtec in a 90 Si hatch can barely pull on you, he has to be the worst driver in the world. to think the b16 is overrated is pure stupidity. its one of japans highest tuned engines, with parts and possibilites only limited to ones wallet. don't go calling me a b16 humper, but this thread was started by a kid who wants to put stage 3 cams in a stock engine, cause he thinks the "VTECH will kick like JDM yo". also the title should read "underrated b16 vs. sohc vtec". then again no one wants to learn anything now a days they just want to be fast and furious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
RageAgainstNate said:
if your friends CRVtec in a 90 Si hatch can barely pull on you, he has to be the worst driver in the world. to think the b16 is overrated is pure stupidity. its one of japans highest tuned engines, with parts and possibilites only limited to ones wallet. don't go calling me a b16 humper, but this thread was started by a kid who wants to put stage 3 cams in a stock engine, cause he thinks the "VTECH will kick like JDM yo". also the title should read "underrated b16 vs. sohc vtec". then again no one wants to learn anything now a days they just want to be fast and furious.
Actually he drives it as good as it can probably do. And once again for the record I like B16s I just said they are a bit overused as there are a lot of better engines to over use like the B18C5 for example. The B16 is great engine I just opted to go with a lighter engine cause I will eventually get a JG Engine Dynamics built block and run some serious boost. If you take a look at their web site you can see some SOHCs making about 400hp and 350+ftlbs. Not bad and I know most of those are the serious race only engines but there is a guy putting out only like 200hp and ran high ass elevens it doesn't say what car though. But in any case the high 12's is all I want if even that fast. I want to race the car on a road course in the end so that's why I want it to be light because lightness makes evreything work better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
How much heavier is the EX than the LX it has the sunroof and what not. I am surprized to find out it weighs less than my Si. Weird but I have a sunroof that i like a lot and your car doesn't. Not trying to punk you just saying I like having a sunroof. I had a CRX DX for awhile after my 94 Prelude and the CRX had no sunroof I didn't like that much. So now I have one again. I wish I had power windows though I get tired of reaching across for the door locks too. I actually have the door lock stuff now that I think of it I should put it in duh! And I was thinking I wouldn't have anything to do this weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
440 Posts
how can ur stock 127hp engine beat a caliver? i know your cars light but still and why you talking like u got all kinds of power "I have torque from under even 3000 to reline like a son of a bitch" , a b20vtec will spank you without even trying

and people dont necessarly get b16 engines becuase they are the best, but peoples financial status may limit them, excuse everyone for not being so rich and going with a b18c, but then again u only have a d16......

B16 also has a near perfect rod ratio, numerous parts avaible(plenty of potential), can go all motor or turbo, it is a great motor

and you may be even with a Si in 1st gear but by the end of 2nd gear it should pull away and 3rd bye bye, and if not i dont know what kind of people you are racing becuase they obviously cant drive, and if u can keep up with them u seem to be a better driver then them


(edit) (my bad i just saw the greddy turbo in there,lol) but still that will only make u run in the 15s, a b16 with greddy kit at same boost would own u anyways
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
skidtron89 said:
Passats are nice. Cool and good luck on the new project.
looking at your sig, you do know the Z6 gets 125hp, not 127.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
CivicSiBeast said:
looking at your sig, you do know the Z6 gets 125hp, not 127.
Actually it has been stated by Honda to be both 125 and 127 in lots of different places. I don't know why but I would guess if there is 2 ratings the 94 and 95 engine would be more powerful as they are later into the develpoment of the motor. So I put the 127 but if it really bugs you I'll change it 2 hp doesn't matter to me anyways. Turbo is where it's at bro!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
Aaron_909 said:
how can ur stock 127hp engine beat a caliver? i know your cars light but still and why you talking like u got all kinds of power "I have torque from under even 3000 to reline like a son of a bitch" , a b20vtec will spank you without even trying

and people dont necessarly get b16 engines becuase they are the best, but peoples financial status may limit them, excuse everyone for not being so rich and going with a b18c, but then again u only have a d16......

B16 also has a near perfect rod ratio, numerous parts avaible(plenty of potential), can go all motor or turbo, it is a great motor

and you may be even with a Si in 1st gear but by the end of 2nd gear it should pull away and 3rd bye bye, and if not i dont know what kind of people you are racing becuase they obviously cant drive, and if u can keep up with them u seem to be a better driver then them


(edit) (my bad i just saw the greddy turbo in there,lol) but still that will only make u run in the 15s, a b16 with greddy kit at same boost would own u anyways
Apparently you don't live in the real world and test you car against others in a methodical way like me and my frinds do. The B20VTEC barely beats me and he is ending 5th as I get to the top of 4th. At first we didn't notice till one day he said man I was almost out of gear if you wouldn't have let off you would have passed me. After discussing it we found that he is running out of 5th gear and I'm only half done with my 5th. Seems his gear ratios are even shorter than mine which isn't too easy to do.

I beg to differ on the B16 cause you can't afford issue since they are not anywhere near as cheap as D16's and they weigh more and they need more support equipment to be changed on the car to put them in. Not like they ar ehard to put in but there is way more to change/do than a D16 swap. B16 does have a verynice rod ratio though I will fully agree with you there.

Everybody I ride with inn or crew if you want to call it that is very good at driving their particular car as it is the main thing we look for when deciding if we want to pick them up or wahtever. Trust me he can drive and so can I and not just in a straight line either. the first time I rode in his car with him I thought we need to get this guy he's way above average!

And remember how you saw the Greddy kit and was like oh now I understand and tried to underestimate my car so you wouldn't sound so stupid for writing all that and not seeing it at all and looking like a illiterate a-hole? Yeah my car ran 51.4 on just the motor and runs very low 14's and maybe high 13's not sure yet I am still waiting to go to the track. My work schedule hasn't permitted it for a while now. I eat Mustang GT and Z28 up and WRXs and Some kinds of Porsches that I don't even know what kind they are. So rest assured it is fast and that's even with traction problems so imagine what it could do if it could rip off the line like the old NA days.....ahhhhh........the days of NA when I had traction.

Instead of pounding the keyboard in your bedroom maybe you should be out getting smoked by 15 second turbo swapped 89 Si's. So you'll know that they are quite a bit faster than that. See ya on the streets I hope my rearview mirrror isn't shaking so much so i can see your headlights clearly. Oh! and do me a favor stay off the high beams so i can see to drive. Peace!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top