Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

b16a in 99 integra se

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  SFAL 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i did a search and didnt find the answer to my question..and dont diss me for asking. :)

I have a 99 integra se and b16 (ob2 sir) would be 1000 dollers cheeper then
getting a b18c (gsr) so i wanna go with the b16, But i cant find all the information i need, More less im just looking for your guys opinon. Thanks

#2 ·
#5 ·
I looked into the B16 for my LS a while back. While a swap from Hmotorsonline is cheaper, its not worth it. (2200 vs 2800 i think)

The B18C provides much more torque, needed for the heavy integra. The B16 may have 165hp, but that doesnt mean shit without torque. Youll just spin tires all day. When it really comes down to it, you can find the B18C1 cheaper than the 2200 that Hmotors wants for the B16.

I got my
B18C1 engine- 72k original miles. $800. I had my shop install new pistons and rins, a new timing belt, new water pump, and new head gasket for an additional $300. So $1100 for my motor.
B18C1 Trans- 67k original miles. 9k miles on full rebuild- everything replaced. $600
P72 OBD2 ECU- $65

TOTAL: $1765

I also bought a Comptech icebox and intake for $130, and am buying a new clutch and flywheel, but this isnt nessecary since my motor had all the stock components.

My motor didnt NEED the new parts, but I had it done anyway since one cylinder was at 12% on a leak down. Had I not done that, the swap would have only run me $1465.

Anyway...

Dont put a fucking B16 in your teg, its a waste of money.

Either boost your B18B, or drop in a B18C1 or C5.

#6 ·
I know that .2 liters doesn't seem like alot, but the B18 is torqueless enough and that extra 10% makes the difference between acceptable and unacceptable. When you're going uphill in the middle of a summer day with the a/c on and two passengers in the car, you'll wish you had more torque. The best places to buy a cheap B18 are the classified forums. A month ago, there was a B18C1 with a tranny and new lightweight flywheel/clutch for $1,300. I'm sure it's gone by now, but this goes to show how cheap engines can be. Look in the regional forums of Team-Integra .net, Honda - Tech .com and SHO.

Are you looking for an upgrade from your B18B or are you engine-less?

#7 ·
prelude48 said:
I was asking for a opinion
Alright then: it sucks balls. It's a fine motor, but in an Integra it's like using the very best cordless power drill to dig for oil... it ain't gonna be quick.

Why? Well, why would you swap an 1834cc engine for a 1595cc one? Sure you'll be getting 20hp more due to the wondrous "VEE-TAK," but you'll be getting 13lb/ft less and that's... less... I'd rather have a big motor with lots of leftover potential, N/A/turbo/other, than a small motor that's already making 100hp/L. HP is simply torque*rpm/5252... it's a lot easier to make an N/A engine breathe better at high rpm than to create torque.

You currently have 124lb/ft @ 5200rpm according to factory specs, while a B16A has 111lb/ft way up at 7000rpm. Translation: peaky as hell, and nothing happens til you get there. I love watching B16 Si's and Integras autocross, because every straightaway is like, "bbbbrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmm-BRAAP!! *brake* *corner*"... they are teeth-gratingly slow until their half-second of VTEC glory, then hard on the brakes... it's genuinely painful (yet amusing) to watch. Doesn't sound like the hot-rod swap we all want.

Even in the 1/4 mile, where you should be in the magic VTEC range all the time, the B16 Civic Si (which believe it or not weighs the same as an LS) runs mid-high 15s... hardly any faster than an LS to begin with, and you'll be lagging hard below VTEC range. Mind you this is WITH the B16's WWWAAAAYYY shorter-geared tranny. Put that tranny on an LS and you'd probably get just about the same time. I should know, I've done it.

Sirfallsalot243 as you can see priced a B16 swap out at about $2200. Funny, since I've spent exactly that much on my all-motor LS setup including dyno time, a setup that the majority of the great unwashed in the "import scene" would say is worthless. What did I get for the same price? Well, more torque at the wheels at 2800rpm than a B16 has at the flywheel at its 7000rpm peak for one thing. Plus a solid +15whp up top, about 40+lb/ft more at a nearly 3000rpm lower peak and a far broader powerband, all while running 87 octane. No it's not the fastest setup in the world. But that's not what I was going for, and I'd rather have this than spend the same money on a gutless, 1/4-liter-smaller swap. Something that's not already close to tapped out, and that can only get out of its own way if it's above 5500rpm.

So there's the opinion you asked for, even though I've said it at least a half-dozen times here before. SHO's search function finds a way to hide things sometimes.

#8 ·
White98LS said:
Alright then: it sucks balls. It's a fine motor, but in an Integra it's like using the very best cordless power drill to dig for oil... it ain't gonna be quick.

Why? Well, why would you swap an 1834cc engine for a 1595cc one? Sure you'll be getting 20hp more due to the wondrous "VEE-TAK," but you'll be getting 13lb/ft less and that's... less... I'd rather have a big motor with lots of leftover potential, N/A/turbo/other, than a small motor that's already making 100hp/L. HP is simply torque*rpm/5252... it's a lot easier to make an N/A engine breathe better at high rpm than to create torque.

You currently have 124lb/ft @ 5200rpm according to factory specs, while a B16A has 111lb/ft way up at 7000rpm. Translation: peaky as hell, and nothing happens til you get there. I love watching B16 Si's and Integras autocross, because every straightaway is like, "bbbbrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmm-BRAAP!! *brake* *corner*"... they are teeth-gratingly slow until their half-second of VTEC glory, then hard on the brakes... it's genuinely painful (yet amusing) to watch. Doesn't sound like the hot-rod swap we all want.

Even in the 1/4 mile, where you should be in the magic VTEC range all the time, the B16 Civic Si (which believe it or not weighs the same as an LS) runs mid-high 15s... hardly any faster than an LS to begin with, and you'll be lagging hard below VTEC range. Mind you this is WITH the B16's WWWAAAAYYY shorter-geared tranny. Put that tranny on an LS and you'd probably get just about the same time. I should know, I've done it.

Sirfallsalot243 as you can see priced a B16 swap out at about $2200. Funny, since I've spent exactly that much on my all-motor LS setup including dyno time, a setup that the majority of the great unwashed in the "import scene" would say is worthless. What did I get for the same price? Well, more torque at the wheels at 2800rpm than a B16 has at the flywheel at its 7000rpm peak for one thing. Plus a solid +15whp up top, about 40+lb/ft more at a nearly 3000rpm lower peak and a far broader powerband, all while running 87 octane. No it's not the fastest setup in the world. But that's not what I was going for, and I'd rather have this than spend the same money on a gutless, 1/4-liter-smaller swap. Something that's not already close to tapped out, and that can only get out of its own way if it's above 5500rpm.

So there's the opinion you asked for, even though I've said it at least a half-dozen times here before. SHO's search function finds a way to hide things sometimes.

man... awesome job :D

#9 ·
INsan3TEGRA said:
man... awesome job :D
Original poster: check my sig for the latest race results. You sure you wanna swap that motor out?

BTW, if you really have a need to just swap something, throw in a B20 shortblock for $1k. Everything swaps over directly with your engine, and you'll have MUCHO torque. I drove my buddy's B20 non-VTEC EG hatch today with 141whp and 130wtq@4300rpm with a B16 tranny... that thing hauled ass in any gear at any rpm. Simply unbelievable torque for a Honda, and he spent no more on his engine (less actually if you don't count the swap itself, which was only a few hundred $$) than I did.

#10 ·
White98LS said:
Original poster: check my sig for the latest race results. You sure you wanna swap that motor out?

BTW, if you really have a need to just swap something, throw in a B20 shortblock for $1k. Everything swaps over directly with your engine, and you'll have MUCHO torque. I drove my buddy's B20 non-VTEC EG hatch today with 141whp and 130wtq@4300rpm with a B16 tranny... that thing hauled ass in any gear at any rpm. Simply unbelievable torque for a Honda, and he spent no more on his engine (less actually if you don't count the swap itself, which was only a few hundred $$) than I did.
A B20 automatically fails smog in California, but since he's in Canada, it might work.

#12 ·
Sirfallsalot243 said:
I'm guessing because it's not the engine that "belongs" in the car. Some other states say you can't put an engine in that's older than the car either. Pretty stupid if you ask me, emissions are emissions. :rolleyes :mad

#13 ·
White98LS said:
I'm guessing because it's not the engine that "belongs" in the car. Some other states say you can't put an engine in that's older than the car either. Pretty stupid if you ask me, emissions are emissions. :rolleyes :mad
But theyre the same motor. B20 is a bored out b18B. Plus the B20 is an OBD2 engine, so age shouldnt make a difference. If that were the case, all engine swaps would be illegal.

#14 ·
Sirfallsalot243 said:
But theyre the same motor. B20 is a bored out b18B.
Yeah but they don't know that, or care. It's a different engine to them, plain and simple. It's the same thing for autocross classing. In my class I can do basically whatever I want to the engine internals... I can resleeve it to 2.0L or even 2.1L, high compression, the works. But swapping in a B20 is not legal because it qualifies as an engine swap. Which is annoying, but that's how it is. Different engine code = different engine, even if the bore size is the only alteration between the two. :(
Sirfallsalot243 said:
Plus the B20 is an OBD2 engine, so age shouldnt make a difference. If that were the case, all engine swaps would be illegal.
It is my understanding that this is pretty much the case in California.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.