Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all comes down to speed...so in the same car stock to stock, which would be faster. I've driven an LS'ed hatch and it pulled, it also felt faster than a b16'd hatch, but it's hard to tell. I don't want to go with a B16 and be like every other hatch....

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Its all up to you on what route you wanna take. If your going F/I then I would suggest the B18b plus its cheaper. N/A I would suggest a B18c or a Ls/vtec setup which I have seen yield insane daily driven N/A power.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
a lot of people swap in ls engines... especially if they are eventually going to do FI... they are more torquey than the b16's as well... so, i dont see what the obsession is with vtec unless youre staying all motor...

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
the b18b is good engine and has plenty of support. off the line its quicker than the b16a...and swap in some hot cams i bet you will be surprised. i know a guy with a b18b that has over revved to 11,000 rpm without the engine blowing...he bent a vlve or two, but they still seal...he does have head work though...so it moves pretty well.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'd go with a b18b, you can get the complete motor for like 600-800. and then I would just save up for a turbo down the road.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I think in stock form both should run similar.

A friend of mine put a B16A in his integra a while back and it wasn't any faster then his B18B motor.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
from what i know, a civic with b18b will be faster around town, but the b16a will edge out the b18b on the track since most of the driving on a track is at high rpm, where the b16a has the advantage...on the street you need power everywehre though.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Ls with a ITR tranny wouldnt be that quick since the gearing on the ITR would be too short so you wont be able to take advantage of the LS's wide power band. Go with what you like and plan ahead so you wont make a mistake.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The B18B has a wide torque band thats why it is so effective in the LS/VTEC setups. Having a short gear ratio may be good for a quick reving engine but the LS tranny is perfectly suited for the LS.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
well seeing as that the type-r only has 5 more lb/ft of torque than the b18b...and the b18b makes that torque about 3300rpm lower, it is probably a matter of looking at a dyno to see which car has the most useable power for street driving. i dont know about anyone else but if i drove every day, everywhere like i was at the drag strip i would have lost my license a long time ago...
the b18b is tuned for more power in the lower rpm range, it is not a peak power engine the way a b18c or b16 is.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well, it seems like all the other responses are from people who just have one engine or the other. I actually had both engines simultaneously in two different cars. So I could actually compare the two engines with one another quite well. The cars are a 1988 Civic STD HB and 1988 CRX SI (the same weight within 20 pounds). Overall, I was rather disappointed with the B18B. It just did not live up to the hype of being a 'B16A killer' that you seem to hear all the time from B18A/B18B owners. Torque really did not seem THAT much better than the B16A. And top end power fell far short. Even though the B18B had a header and the B16A didn't. Overall, the B18B was about .5 second slower in the quarter mile than the B16A. In spite of the fact that the better low end torque actually enabled me to launch better. Keep in mind that the motor I used was the better 1995 motor (using full 1995 electronics, not power-sapping 1990-1991 electronics like most EF swappers use). And although performance could have been improved with, say, a B16A transmission, this would force the engine to run at such high RPMs on the freeway that long-term freeway driving would certainly send the motor to an early grave. The bottom line: the B16A is better.

If you are even thinking about a B18B, why not consider a B20Z? This is what I replaced my disappointing B18B with. And I can tell you that it is WORLDS better. It actually DOES have alot of torque. And it has enough power for the motor to actually hold its own in the quarter mile against a B16A. The B20Z is a GREAT motor that does NOT disappoint. Unlike some motors out there.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts