Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the diff between these two motors except for the A1 is a cable tranny and the A2 is a hydro tranny, and obviously the hydro tranny is a lil better or else they wouldnt have made it, so like is it worth the extra money??

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
well the b16a1 has only 150hp and comes from the european model CRX, now if you mean the first gen B16A, then it has 160hp and a compression ratio of 10.2:1, the b16a2 is in the USDM civic Si (99-00) and is OBD-2, now if you mean the B16a SiR-II (which you can get in OBD-1 OR 2) then it has 170hp w/ a compression ratio of 10.4:1, the cams between the 1st and 2nd gens changed, so did the IM's and there are a few other differences, so lets all stop saying b16a1 because no one i know has ever purchased a european model b16a1 engine....and the trannys are different between the 2 engines, cable and hydro are no better then each other, the only thing i would say that is better about the hydro tranny is the ease of finding parts for it in the states

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
All the jibber-jabber aside, both engines available to you here in the US will be 160hp except the later model JDM version which is 170hp. But as for teh tranny, you can't just choose which one you want. Your car is set up to operate one or the other. If you have a 91-older you will need teh cable tranny, if you have 92-newer you will use the hydro tranny setup. Don't be fooled by the *seemingly* low cost of the cable tranny, there are lots of little extras required to set it up that get the price up a lot higher than the basic swap kit costs up front.

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
klungemonger said:
All the jibber-jabber aside, both engines available to you here in the US will be 160hp except the later model JDM version which is 170hp. But as for teh tranny, you can't just choose which one you want. Your car is set up to operate one or the other. If you have a 91-older you will need teh cable tranny, if you have 92-newer you will use the hydro tranny setup. Don't be fooled by the *seemingly* low cost of the cable tranny, there are lots of little extras required to set it up that get the price up a lot higher than the basic swap kit costs up front.

same would be for the contrast

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
Furious98662 said:
Shit so, it would be best for me to get the B16A2 Sir 2 because its a hydro trany right?

its not a b16a2 SiR-II d00d, its either a B16A2 (OBD-2 and USDM) or a B16A SiR-II (OBD-1 or 2), get the motor w/ the right setup for YOUR car

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
why does everybody say the hydro tranny better. all the pro racers use cable tranny's cuz there adjustable. and better all around. honda didnt make hydro tranny's with the future import race scene in mind they made them b/c they are easy to use. and work on

·
Registered
407 Posts
No one mentioned that some of the SIR-II motors come stock with LSD.... Like MINE! :D

·
Registered
786 Posts
temp said:
its not a b16a2 SiR-II d00d, its either a B16A2 (OBD-2 and USDM) or a B16A SiR-II (OBD-1 or 2), get the motor w/ the right setup for YOUR car
Just because the number's not on the block means crap...LOL...it's really only the USDM motors than have a number designation after the second letter...the Sir-II is a B16A4...there are alot of different designators that specify certain models...like the B18C4 for example.

Oh yeah, some other difference is the 1st gen TB's are 58mm not 60mm like the 2nd gens...also the oil spray bars on the 1st Gens are cast, not machined like the newer versions.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
eghybrid said:
Just because the number's not on the block means crap...LOL...it's really only the USDM motors than have a number designation after the second letter...the Sir-II is a B16A4...there are alot of different designators that specify certain models...like the B18C4 for example.

Oh yeah, some other difference is the 1st gen TB's are 58mm not 60mm like the 2nd gens...also the oil spray bars on the 1st Gens are cast, not machined like the newer versions.
wow, i didnt know some of that.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Furious98662 said:
wow, i didnt know some of that.
But now you know, and knowing is half the battle!!! :)

Hey infinatenexus, how come you told him the B16 isn't worth the time but then suggested he pick up a 99 Si to strip for parts? ;) :p Hehe, no I think the B16 is a great motor for turbo, just lower the compression a bit and the internal geometry is nice, plus good gearing and high redline. The cost difference between a B16 and B18 swap he could go far towards a homemade turbo setup too...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts