Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found a b16a1 for about $2400 canadian dollars. comes complete with tranny and ECU.

would it be wise to buy it and put it in my 94 Civic Coupe? why or why not?

thanks.

·
Registered
358 Posts
i have no idea how much that would be in american dollars.. but b16 is a very potent engine.. with alot of aftermarket to it...

·
Registered
291 Posts
first how much is 2400 CDN in dollas... then yes a b16a is a good choice, it was tons of aftermarket parts and has the potential to be very fast, if you have the money.

·
Registered
506 Posts
yeah thats a pretty good deal, I think 2400 canadian is ABOOT, j/k, its about 1500-1600 american right? Thats about what it should be anyways and its a good deal, if its actually the b16a1 or sometimes just called the b16 its gonna be cable tranny which means you're gonna need the cable/hydro tranny conv(HASPORT), because your car is set up for the hydro transmission, but other then that its great, good engine for high reving NA power, works well supercharged/turbocharged too, and it responds really well to bolt ons, also as engine swaps go b16a1 into a 5th gen Civic is pretty simple

·
Registered
225 Posts
correct me if i am wrong, but isnt the B16A1 an engine that uses a CABLE tranny? and the 94 civics use a hydrolic tranny, so i dont believe it would fit.

plus you can get a B16A1 for around 1500 on www. Hondamotorsonline.com

·
Registered
506 Posts
cashizslick said:
correct me if i am wrong, but isnt the B16A1 an engine that uses a CABLE tranny? and the 94 civics use a hydrolic tranny, so i dont believe it would fit.

plus you can get a B16A1 for around 1500 on www. Hondamotorsonline.com
go back and read my post again, I said the b16a1 DOES have a cable tranny and the 5th gen civic IS set up for a hydro, it still fits, you just need the conversion from HASPORT

and the engine he's talking about is about 1500 american, but since canadian dollars are worth less then 2400 canadian is about 1500 or 1600 american

·
Registered
29 Posts
b16a into 95 civic?

putting a b16a 1st gen jdm is not hard...
just go buy the gsr mounts the mouth its self..and the teeth the has to go into the engine.

well...the tanny that come with it is cable...but you kan either convert it into hydro like i did..w/o buying the conversion shit for like 200 or sumin... i just spent 20 bucks welding on the ball and bearing i needed for the hydro shit...all u need to do is buy a mount kit for the tranny thou...so ur engine is straight...cause if u dont..and u hit vtec..instead of both axle spinning at same time..ull have one after the other.. =)

its not hard...just buy gsr engine mount, gsr rear bracket the one that goes on the rear of the engine and either, cable-hyro conversion kit or weld it, and a tranny mounts...

but..not only that u gotta change ur front rotors...like the whole dam thing, drive axles =) so if u wanna do ur b16a conversion...u also gotta do a ls conversion on the kar like i did =)

have fun!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
why not just get the second gen B16 tranny and forget about the daymn conversion?

·
Registered
506 Posts
when its like 1600-1800 bucks for the b16a1 and about 2300-2500 for the b16a2 some people just don't have the extra money

·
Registered
29 Posts
CRXtc said:
why not just get the second gen B16 tranny and forget about the daymn conversion?

True..you could get the second gen b16 tranny but can u find one?? haha i kan get a 1st gen tranny for 350 and that cable..2nd gen is so rare now..that it took my connects 2 months to find one and they were only willing to sell for 600 to me!..to other people its around 800....

or u could alwayz use gdr tranny but good look finding that too...

so 350 for tranny...conversion kit cable/hyro is probalby 100? 200? so u only spend 450 to 550? instead of 800

and even after 800 u have to buy the mount kit for the tranny so that the tranny wont rock back and forth.

and even if u dont want the 1st gen...u willing to spend the time to wait and wait for the 2nd gen tranny?? and who knows..maybe the tranny is shitty.. i went through 2 trannyz b4 i got a better one...at no cost of course =)

·
Registered
55 Posts
how about this, you just save your damn money and go out and buy a b18 instead. big difference then buying a b-shiteen. yeah the b-shiteen is cheaper but by the time you have the motor as fast as a stock b18 you will have spend more all together then if you would have just of right bought a b18. people with experience will know just what im talking about. trust me the b18 is much more worth it. be patient and wait and hold out for a b18.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ENVYONE said:
how about this, you just save your damn money and go out and buy a b18 instead. big difference then buying a b-shiteen. yeah the b-shiteen is cheaper but by the time you have the motor as fast as a stock b18 you will have spend more all together then if you would have just of right bought a b18. people with experience will know just what im talking about. trust me the b18 is much more worth it. be patient and wait and hold out for a b18.
True!! B18 is better...but what b18 u talking bout? b18c -gsr?
or Ls b18? do a ls vtec? or gsr??

tru..ill say gsr is waaaaaaaaaaayy better than a b16a but....how easy is it to find a gsr that is in fair condition? hmmm..not very good and for the money u gunna spend on the gsr..y dont u just get a dam h22a! way better than b18

h22a is clowing dawg! drop that in a 95 civic....no one got shit on this kar =) h22a on a civic will tear up the competition!!!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
H22A IN A EG WILL MAKE THE CAR HANDLE LIKE SHIT....ITS JUST A FACT OF LIFE..........

·
Registered
506 Posts
there's also the b18c5, the price is goin down on em too it used to be 5500 now its 4800 so thats another option, I wouldn't say an H22 will make it handle like shit but it will handle a lot worse, for daily driving and drag racing it won't be a big deal but don't expect to auto-x it

·
Registered
29 Posts
CRXtc said:
H22A IN A EG WILL MAKE THE CAR HANDLE LIKE SHIT....ITS JUST A FACT OF LIFE..........
TRU that TRU that...h22a will make the car handle like shit..because of its understeeing..but hey...is the civic i rear wheel drive?? not really.....its not like he gunan turn a 90 degreee turn and gun it... my homie did a h22 in a hatchback..
that shit ripps up the road...and the handling not bad either...

all u do is change ur shock and springs... get a whole new system...he went to taiwan to buy shocks that the japanese racers use on the tracks... not saying u should do that too..but changing the shocks and springs will relaly help improve handling if u want a h22a. pluz..everyone should know h22a is like psshh 60?100 more pounds than stock..and stock shocks only handle stock engines...so if u want more weight on em....get better shocks =)

if u didnt know that...dont even swap the engine..

·
Registered
272 Posts
about the h22how will the h22 handle like shit? if you were to put bilstein shock on the front and some nice lowering springs would it still handle like shit? where is the shit at? meaning, whats the noticable shit about the steering that makes it handle crappy? does it not steer properly or does the rear end want to slide out? thanks man

about the b16a1. what is needed again? someone was confusing and couldn't spell right. The tranny is a cabe i know...so you need a cable to hydro converter...but what the heck was the other thing someone saying welding a ball bearing so the trann doesnt flap? what is that all about?
b16a1 wiring? is the b16a1 wiring the same as a 92-95 civic? i thought the b16a1 didnt have obd-1? and the 92-95's do. but that might not matter. does anyone know the answer to that?

·
Registered
272 Posts
by the way. which car is the h22a from? as in what i am asking: if someone were to put an h22a into their car which car does the h22a come from? are their different h22'a? concluding that, which h22a would i want for a 92-95 civic cx?

·
Registered
272 Posts
will an b series tranny work on the b16a1? say for example a 92 integra tranny? is any b series tranny does work on a b16a1 which axles would i need? the axles for that specific tranny or some rigged up axles or as always the integra axles....and what about the shift linkages? the ones for the specific tranny or the ones for the b16a1 or always integra shift linkages? and what abotu the tranny mount?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Civicgotballz said:
about the h22how will the h22 handle like shit? if you were to put bilstein shock on the front and some nice lowering springs would it still handle like shit? where is the shit at? meaning, whats the noticable shit about the steering that makes it handle crappy? does it not steer properly or does the rear end want to slide out? thanks man
basically you just get severe understeer and the front end dips a down a little bit, good springs and shocks will help a little

·
Registered
29 Posts
Civicgotballz said:

about the b16a1. what is needed again? someone was confusing and couldn't spell right. The tranny is a cabe i know...so you need a cable to hydro converter...but what the heck was the other thing someone saying welding a ball bearing so the trann doesnt flap? what is that all about?
b16a1 wiring? is the b16a1 wiring the same as a 92-95 civic? i thought the b16a1 didnt have obd-1? and the 92-95's do. but that might not matter. does anyone know the answer to that?

man..u got alot to learn before swapping engines... but ish kew...we all noobs b4.. understeering is when u have soo much dam weight in the front of the kar..and when u try to break.. that even more weight will shift into the front therefore causeing the car to slide instead of break...this happens because the shocks are not designed to hold the new engine weight...so therefore u gotta buy better shocks...tein would be ur best choice.. #1 in japan

about that welding a ball bearing.... tat complicated...dunno how to explain taht well..but its like this..if u dont wanna spend the money to buy the calbe hydro converter.. then u would weld on the arm needed for the hydro ball...they use sumtin like a ball and socket... and u would chop off the arm originally on the cable..and weld on the socket frum a hyro trannny... and thatz how u ghetto rig it frum a cable to a hydo..like mine =) but the thing is that the clutch would be so hard.... like major hard..which it better.. cause i dont even have to clutch..i only hit half way to shift =)

and b16a wiring the same as the 95 civic...and it is obd-1... man..what u talking bout... the b16a swap will fit correctly only if u get the right mounts....wiring would be perfect...noting u gotta screw with..xcept...u might want to add an extra o2 sensor on the headers sumwhere and rig up ur vtec to ur new ecu...

90-93 jdm xsi is obd-1 thats the enigne u needa get or the ecu at least...but its hard to fine em now

1 - 20 of 64 Posts