Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok someone asked me what the difference is between the B16A2 and B16A3, i allready know that the B16A2 was in the 99-00 civic si and the B16A3 was in the DEL SOL VTEC...but is their any difference in the two engines...just asking...no big deal...

·
Registered
508 Posts
This may be hard to get your head around but I think it goes like this:

B16A3 = 1st Gen JDM Engine

B16A2 = 2nd Gen JDM Engine

The A3 is older than the A2

They equal out to:

A3 = 158 hp @ 7600 112tq @ ?
A2 = 160 hp @ 7600 110tq @ ?

It's something like that.

A2 is also OBDII with oil pump sensor. Some shit like that.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
actually, the 1st gen jspec b16 is the b16a. in terms of usdm motors, i think the b16a2 came out of the 99-00 civic si and the b16a3 came out of the del sol vtec. they're all rated at 160hp, but the jspec engine has higher compression...someone correct me if i'm wrong?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
They are basically the same. The B16A3 is extremely hard to find because it is so rare, only a few del Sol VTECs were actually imported to North America. All engines from '92-'95 are OBD-I, and all engines after '96 are OBD-II.

Also,
JDM 1st-gen B16A ('89-'91) = 158hp, 111ft-lb, cable tranny
JDM 2nd-gen B16A ('92+) = 168hp, 112ft-lb, hydro tranny

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Targa250R said:
The B16A3 is extremely hard to find because it is so rare, only a few del Sol VTECs were actually imported to North America.
actually, a del sol vtec was offered here in the states. rated at 160hp i believe...

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
phan said:
actually, a del sol vtec was offered here in the states. rated at 160hp i believe...
Yes. And they were very rare to come by, since so few were actually imported here to sell . . .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
uh...isnt the B16A the JSPEC (JDM) engine

i always thought the USDM engines had #'s behind them...example: B18C5, B18C1, D16Y8, etc...

the B16A is the JSPEC (JDM) engine, isn't it???
rated at 170hp???

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Re: uh...isnt the B16A the JSPEC (JDM) engine

B18CCIVICSEDAN said:
i always thought the USDM engines had #'s behind them...example: B18C5, B18C1, D16Y8, etc...
Yes. Some other countries also have that numerical suffix.

rated at 170hp???
The 1st-gen JDM B16A (B16A1 in other countries) had 160hp. The 2nd-gen JDM B16A had 170hp.

·
Registered
678 Posts
actually

actually some 99-00 si's came with b16a3 engines mine is one of them:D i posted this when i first got my si i was confused because i thought only b16a2 was an si engine but also the 3's were to.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Re: actually

blueSI said:
actually some 99-00 si's came with b16a3 engines mine is one of them:D i posted this when i first got my si i was confused because i thought only b16a2 was an si engine but also the 3's were to.
Um, no. Post a pic of your stamped engine code.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Ok let me clarify:

USDM B16A3 is the JDM 1st Gen Multi-Port Fuel Injected de-tuned for the states. This is the engine you would find in a 92-95 JDM SiR or USDM Del Sol Vtec.

USDM B16A2 is the JDM 2nd Gen Muti-Port Fuel Injected de-tuned for the states. This is the engine you would find in a 96-00 JDM SiR (if there is such a thing) or USDM Civic Si/Canadian SiR. Or quite possiblely the 1st Gen of the latest JDM B16A since the 1st Gen i-Vtec is a K20A2

JDM 1st-gen B16A ('89-'91) = 158hp, 111ft-lb, cable tranny
^ not Multi-Port Fuel Injected.

This is just off the top of my head, so dont flame, but I'm pretty sure it's correct.

Lastly, I have a 00 B16A2. That's all that matters. heh. Peesh

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
The 1st-gen B16A ('89-'91) did indeed have MPFI.

Otherwise, good info. By the way, MPFI stands for Multi-Point, not Multi-Port.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Re: uh...isnt the B16A the JSPEC (JDM) engine

B18CCIVICSEDAN said:

rated at 170hp???
dont forget about the jdm b16a1

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Re: actually

blueSI said:
i'm not trying to call you a liar but i would really like to see a picture of the engine stamp.

·
Registered
678 Posts
i cant

i cant even post a pic of my si on here you think i can post a pic of my stamp, do some research the b16a3 was in some si's. i can understand where u all are coming from because when i first got my car and i came on tis board all i heard was b16a2 is the si motor and one day i looked and it says B16A3, like i said it was in some si's. y the fuck would i lie about something so damn stupid you think i have nothing better to do then come on this board and argue with you all please i come on here to try to learn about my car a little bit more and pass a little info in the process. peace

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Re: i cant

blueSI said:
i cant even post a pic of my si on here you think i can post a pic of my stamp
Why can't you? If you don't have a host, just email the picture to me and I'll post it for you.

do some research the b16a3 was in some si's.
All research points to the fact that B16A2 was the only engine code for the EM1.

i can understand where u all are coming from because when i first got my car and i came on tis board all i heard was b16a2 is the si motor and one day i looked and it says B16A3, like i said it was in some si's.
I just find it hard to believe, that's why I want to see a picture of your code stamp. I have to see it with my own eyes to believe it.

y the fuck would i lie about something so damn stupid you think i have nothing better to do then come on this board and argue with you all please i come on here to try to learn about my car a little bit more and pass a little info in the process. peace
Nobody is calling you a liar, I just find it strange that you claim your Si came from the factory with a B16A3 engine in it. I would like to see it for myself so I can know if it's really true or not - I have never heard of a B16A3 in an Si.

·
Registered
678 Posts
i cant post because

i dont have a digital camera or a scanner to scan the pics if i took them i tried to put a pic of my si in the si pics but i couldnt cause of those reasons, but there were b16a3's in some si's, i recall in import tuner power pages they did some work on an si and it to had an a3 in it. but seriously y would i lie about something so stupid and i can understand where u are coming from but unfortunately theres no way that i can prove it.:(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
did u buy the civic brand new...

...cuz if you didnt, maybe the engine was replaced before you bought it??? :confused: either that or they had an engine left over from the DEL SOL VTEC and didnt have anymore civic si engines left...its possible...a freak thing like that is possible... ;) i dunno...im just playin around...dont cus me out though...im just being stupid :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts