Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend wants to know if he puts ctr cams in his b17 do he need to upgrade the valvetrain? and is a valve adjustment neccesary when upgrading? Also can he put ctr pistons in a b17 without modifying the rods. and how high is the compresion ratio going to be? And will it be good if he milled the head, if so, how much should it be? hope someone can help

· Registered
419 Posts
thats a lot of questions
the cams can go n the head i would get the valves readjusted just 2 b safe. redoing the valvetrain im not real sure on that 1. but most likely yes. just have him get the itr dual valve springs for both intake and exhaust cams. the other stuff im not sure of
but
the ppl here can help u out big time
www.g2ic.com

· Registered
1,388 Posts
jacnife said:
my friend wants to know if he puts ctr cams in his b17 do he need to upgrade the valvetrain? and is a valve adjustment neccesary when upgrading? Also can he put ctr pistons in a b17 without modifying the rods. and how high is the compresion ratio going to be? And will it be good if he milled the head, if so, how much should it be? hope someone can help
ur friend can get away with his b17 vavletrain as long as he keeps his stock rev limit. valve adjustment is necessary after every cam install to make sure that everything is in spec.

ur friend can install the ctr pistons as long as he "modifies" the b17 rods to accept the vtec pistons easily.

(pic courtesy of www.ff-squad.com/pistons.htm)

compression ratio for b17 engine with PCT (CTR) pistons = 11.46
i suggest that u order some CTR pistons that are 25 mm over. have the machinist bore the sleeves 25 mm over also to make em fit nice and snug.

if u want to keep the same bore (81 mm) then get the 81 mm pistons. but the compression will go down from 11.46 to 11.41

milling the head should only be done just to keep the cylinder head's mating surface level. milling the head to gain more compression is a big no-no. it might lead to compromising the specs for piston-to-valve clearances and ur friend might end up having holes in his pistons. just use a thinner head gasket instead if u want a little more bump in compression.

hth.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
again randyman thanks for your info, but we have another question. My friend wants to know if he has to buy the piston rings? And what are the the advantages of buying the rings, and the disadvantages of not buying the rings? I ask this cuz his on a budget.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
the pistons' rings are MANDATORY. no machine shop will install ur pistons into the blcok without these. the rings are the ones that makes the "seal", if u will, to gain the proper compression. otherwise, u'll have an engine that runs but won't help much in propelling ur car forward or backward. sorry to say, but u can't skimp on the rings. the rings should be purchased along with the pistons.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.