Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new project for my '91 rex. I recently came into the posession of a b18a1 from a '90 integra. If anybody knows, what should I be taking out of that integra to make the swap as easy and quick as possible?

motor
transmission
intake manifold
exhaust manifold
ecu (i still don't know WHERE it is though)
motor/transmission mounts (you can weld them into the new car, i believe)
clutch cable, throttle cable

I'm also taking the brakes out of it, what should I need from that? new master cylinder?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
u cant use the stock mounts...the integra mounts are meant for a b series car from the factory...so sticking them in a d series car will require customization. you will need hasport or a brand like them mounts and shift linkage, and everythign u mentioned

·
Registered
111 Posts
Regards,

You will also need axles/ hubs/knuckles/ calipers, reason is the "D" series REX suspension has different sized splines on the hubs and axles.

If you are swapping in a 5-speed, you will also need to take the shifter linkage from the teg and shorten it to fit in the rex.

Brake booster, not sure, there is a difference in diameter, and don't know if the pedals will work in the REX that go with the booster from the TEG, I do know the TEG is larger.

The method I used was simply anything and everything in the engine compartment that is hooked up to something, gets pulled off the car and (while still attached to the harness or engine) put on top of the motor. Then reinstalled on into the rex, just to be safe. Also, check out the clutch, again easier now than later. Yeah, I know, more money, but how much is your time worth later on... Food for thought.

At the same time, I chose to replace the water pump and timing belt whilst out of the car (read: way easier now than later) Just for insurance.

Is the motor a JDM? If so, I think you might be missing a couple of sensors that are on domestic cars, I ran into that when changing out the dizzy and TB/IT.

Good luck and HTH.

Donnie

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well that's one of the most helpful posts i've ever read. i'm curious as to whether the axles will line up correctly for suspension geometry on the rex. aren't those axles set wider than on the rex? the engine is out of a usdm teg that was recently totalled (engine is mint).

·
Registered
111 Posts
"i'm curious as to whether the axles will line up correctly for suspension geometry on the rex. aren't those axles set wider than on the rex?"

Believe it or not, they do fit.

Mr 59 said it best, get a set of Hasport mounts ($$$) and your swap will go, in my opinion, alot smoother on the motor placement issue. If you have fabrication skills and are thrifty, one can manufacture a set of motor mounts but that takes time and effort, that is something folks don't want to spend their time doing. Yes, axles will line up perfectly for proper suspension geometry once you get the motor set in and using those mounts that is NOT an issue.

Cheers,

Donnie

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
would it work if i took the stock integra motor mounts, relocated the motor to where it should be in the engine bay, and welded the stock mounts into the engine bay? i'm really just curious as to how well this would work out, i'm probably going to purchase the hasport mounts either way, they sound well worthwhile.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Frankly, I don't know. I would be hesistant to try that because of the fitament troubles. I personally we be more inclined to fab up the motor mounts and the mounts to the frame rails, and front and rear crossmember. But that would be simply my choice if on a tight budget. Otherwise, tried and true Hasport.

Good luck,

Donnie

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hasport it is for me. take the engine out of the integra, put it on an engine stand, rebuild (and build, a little, i'm thinking cams and stronger rods), bolt on the turbo to make sure it fits, then take it apart and squeeze it into my engine bay. shouldn't be more than a two-day project once the engine's ready to be put in. 'till then, my oil-roasting d16a6 will do just fine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You might want to add to your shopping list ARP bolts....throughout the engine. Shot pein the rods as well.

Donnie

·
Registered
111 Posts
Regards,

Again Mr. 59 is right on the money. All of those items need to be replaced to ensure that future problems will less likely occur. IF you know the age and mileage of the clutch and componets, you might consider replacement while the engine is out of the vehicle, much easier now.

Gosh, I love spending other folks money. :p :eek: :D

Cheers,

Donnie

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
really just take your time and ask questions. dont ghetto rig anything and make sure its done right. thats teh biggest problem with swaps, people dotn do it rigth and thats why they have problems with their swaps later down the road

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree, we're just getting ready to take the engine out of the integra this week. trouble is, a camaro's water pump comes first in the open garage bay, so I don't take priority. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.