Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the highest shot (direct port) can a completely stock B18C handle (no mods what so ever except retarding of course)? What kind of times would a GSR get with an ITR LSD + NOS. (with AC and power steering still being used) I need my AC......hahah

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have no engine mods and run a NOS GSR plate kit at 75 shot. That is the max that NOS recommends for stock motors. I use BKR7E plugs from summitt and check them frequently. I've run through two bottles with no signs of trouble. Good compression and leakdown numbers. My motor has 62K on it and runs fine. Last time at the track I ran 14.9 at 95.8. 2.3 60ft. My clutch was slipping off the line so bad even at 5 grand launch I couldn't spin my Paradas.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man I really appreciate the response....helps me put my car into perspective. I'm thinking if I just added in the JDM ITR LSD ( I have sitting in a garage), aftermarket ignition, maybe an 80 shot, practice a little more...high 13's low 14's. Do you still have your AC and power steering on?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
gsr is a tough engine, but 75/80 shots is kinda high for a stock.

maybe you can start at 50, and work it up to 80. some fuel upgrades would be nice too, like fuel filter, or fuel rail.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i run a 70 shot everytime but a dry system..dont know about a 75-80 shot plate system. but i heard 75-80 shots is good enough to do a good 13 sec run.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes I still have A/C and P/S. The plate system is a wet system which is safer. Like I said, I do keep an eye on my plugs looking for a lean condition or detonation. I also use a scan tool with data stream to monitor O2 sensor voltage while spraying. Like the other responses, I do plan on upgrading fuel (pump regulator and rail) at some point. I want to go higher (the thrill of 75 shot is gone), but not until I can upgrade fuel pump, rail and regulator and some dyno time. I was hoping for low 14's but my clutch wouldn't hook up for a good launch. The 95mph trap speed is good for a low 14. Right now I don't have the bottle heater or guage. I could be below optimum bottle pressure. So I leave it at 75 shot until I can upgrade to be safe.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
i'm running a 75 shot dry in my 2000 si. but i do have a MSD digital 6+ ignition. flip of a switch and timing is retarded. i hit 14.0x with a 2.1 60ft. trap is usually around 98 or 99 mph. and i've been running this set up for over a year now.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
A stock block B18C with properly tuned fuel and ignition system can handle 100 direct port shots daily.

Recommended items:
Jacobs Nitrous Mastermind
Aftermarket Ignition system such as the MSD 6A w/ Coil
Non-Platinum spark plugs that are two steps colder than stock, such as NGK 1283
255 lph fuel pump

This has been done and is being used by a former SHO member located in San Diego, CA. His Integra GSR runs 12's as a daily commuter.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
yeah 100 shot should be fine with the right upgrades, as was mentioned above. get the needed fuel and ignition upgrades and you'll be fine with 75-100 shot stock, though i recommend a higher flowing exhaust system and intake to take advantage of the injection. that is if you don't have them already.

later

·
Registered
8 Posts
j/w, i know this is a newb question and is off subject, but, what is retarding? is it like tuning? thanks

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
car_addict said:
j/w, i know this is a newb question and is off subject, but, what is retarding? is it like tuning? thanks
'retarding' refers to timing adjustments, both ignition timing and camshaft timing. when injecting N2O or boosting, mild to aggressive retarding of the ignition is needed to resist detonation. also timing advance and retard help to tune a motor depending on what kind of components are used, N/A with a high C/R or turbo or N2O injection.

timing adjustments are made from the distributor (on quite a few motors), adjustable cam gears (for cam timing) and also through the ECU when using Hondata or a standalone system. ignition add-ons such as MSD units can be used for timing adjustments without altering the dist. timing or the ECU program.

·
Registered
505 Posts
fuel managements and timing is the two most important in spraying nos, if you figure out the best mixture you can spray any shot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts