Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basicly I have a 1992 Integra GS that I am making a "turbo charged" drag car out of. I was goining to build up the B18A1 engine that came in the car with good internals and Slap on my JG ported and polished B18B non VTEC head. It has stainless steel valves, good springs and GSR cams in it already. I can only make about 290 wheel HP with the B18A1 block with stock sleeves and have decided I want more, I am shooting for 400 at the wheels.

It would be cheaper to go with a GSR block than it would be to get this B18A1 block sleeved. I found a GSR block and crank here localy for about 400 bucks.

Will my JG B18B non VTEC head work with a GSR block?

If it will I have more questions. :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
im pretty sure it will work with the block. the b series have interchangable parts that fit aslong as its on a b series engine, so it should work( could be wrong tho)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

I am a mustang guy and have alot to learn about Hondas.

Everyone tells me it should work but then says that they are not sure though. :confused

I am trying to learn as much as possible before I order my J.E pistons and Crower rods.

Assuming the B18b head does work with the B18C block I was told that the B18B head would drop the compression ratio. So if I wanted 9 to 1 compression I would need to go with 9.5 to1 pistons.

There are alot of variables here and I want to make sure I do everything right the first time. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RedlinedDA said:
you have gsr cams in your b18a?
OK I have some sort of better than stock cams in my B18B head but they are factory cams. I assumed GSR but I guess not.

Like I said alot to learn.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Dark_5.0 said:
OK I have some sort of better than stock cams in my B18B head but they are factory cams. I assumed GSR but I guess not.

Like I said alot to learn.
GSR cams require 3 lopes, non-vtec motors only have two, if anything you might have some new ls cams, or possible some upgradeable ones like crower 404's..however..
There's really no market on how much power a stock block can hold, i was always told / learned that stock honda internals would hold 290-300whp safely without breaking..

But now, with all the advances in tuning, i've seen stock B series and Stock H's go way above that mark on stock BLOCKS..high modded heads of course but i've seen b's break 340+whp and Stock H's go for 436whp and held it for years before something small broke..
Last i checked..the only things break on the car were the "stock" retainers in boths motors..and they were goin on 1 year and 2 months of running..
Building a 290whp non-vtec motor is very..very hard..for the money you could spend on a fully setup gsr block u might as well swap in a whole GSR motor..its a better base then a non-vtec motor if ur tryin for 210+whp..unless u got some really deep pockets, it isn't goin to happen without something like Nitrous, or Turbo...
I suggest you look into your options..the b18a is a stronger bottem end then a b18b, however the head on a b18b flows way better then a b18a's..but for the same money you put into your b18a, if u put it into a b18c1, you'll always be fasters...

1000 bucks in a b18b, 1000 bucks in a b18c1, the c1 will always beat the b18b..specially if their in the same chassis..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
9400rpms said:
GSR cams require 3 lopes, non-vtec motors only have two, if anything you might have some new ls cams, or possible some upgradeable ones like crower 404's..however..
There's really no market on how much power a stock block can hold, i was always told / learned that stock honda internals would hold 290-300whp safely without breaking..

But now, with all the advances in tuning, i've seen stock B series and Stock H's go way above that mark on stock BLOCKS..high modded heads of course but i've seen b's break 340+whp and Stock H's go for 436whp and held it for years before something small broke..
Last i checked..the only things break on the car were the "stock" retainers in boths motors..and they were goin on 1 year and 2 months of running..
Building a 290whp non-vtec motor is very..very hard..for the money you could spend on a fully setup gsr block u might as well swap in a whole GSR motor..its a better base then a non-vtec motor if ur tryin for 210+whp..unless u got some really deep pockets, it isn't goin to happen without something like Nitrous, or Turbo...
I suggest you look into your options..the b18a is a stronger bottem end then a b18b, however the head on a b18b flows way better then a b18a's..but for the same money you put into your b18a, if u put it into a b18c1, you'll always be fasters...

1000 bucks in a b18b, 1000 bucks in a b18c1, the c1 will always beat the b18b..specially if their in the same chassis..
I appeciate the info but this is a turbo engine. I have a T3/T4 hybrid and some 650cc injectors already purchased for this project.

A non VTEC turbo engine with this head should be able to make some serious power.

Are you saying I can put 300 to the wheels with good internals with the B18A1 block "safely"?

I have to much money in this head not to use it.

I want to use a B18C1 block for its power handling ability with J.E pistons, Crower rods and a GSR crank and use my JG performance B18B head.

What I need to know is if it is compatible.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Dark_5.0 said:
I appeciate the info but this is a turbo engine. I have a T3/T4 hybrid and some 650cc injectors already purchased for this project.

A non VTEC turbo engine with this head should be able to make some serious power.

Are you saying I can put 300 to the wheels with good internals with the B18A1 block "safely"?

I have to much money in this head not to use it.

I want to use a B18C1 block for its power handling ability with J.E pistons, Crower rods and a GSR crank and use my JG performance B18B head.

What I need to know is if it is compatible.
ANY b series parts are interchangeable..it all bolts up..i think the only problem your goin to have is, which HG to use..and i really dont know cause i've never really heard of this type of setup before..
And i'm saying that most b series i've read about and Seen, have held about 280-320whp stock internals..and have held it for awhile..i'm not saying its smart to do, but if you got a set to do it, go for it..and if u have too much money in the head not to use it..grab a beat up b18b block, get it block guarded or sleeved..it isn't very expensive to do, and if its a turbo car, its goin to make some great power either way..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmmm....

I want this to go smooth so i will just look for a sleeved B18A1 block.

Reactions: 9400rpms

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
That would be the best overall idea..because i seriously think your going to run into a HG problems using a ls head on a gsr block i aint sure tho, dont quote me on it..but seriously..
take your b18a1, build it up..parts are cheap for that motor, just get a golden eagle block guard i assure you that motor can/will handle 290-300 hp if built correctly

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
A GS-R block is no better than a B18A block for turbo, and certainly a sleeved B18A block would be the way to go. You're not going to be making 400whp reliably on a GS-R block with stock sleeves no matter what pistons or rods you run.

VTEC cams don't fit in non-VTEC heads. And non-VTEC heads will not work on VTEC blocks without some modification.

400whp can be achieved with a built B18A/B, again there is no reason to get a B18C block. Hell, 400whp has been done on a STOCK LS head including TB and IM. Find out what cams you have too... if they are an N/A grind, they may cost you hp and drivability instead of gaining you anything. N/A cams = long duration and lots of overlap. Turbo cams = shorter duration and minimal overlap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
White98LS said:
A GS-R block is no better than a B18A block for turbo, and certainly a sleeved B18A block would be the way to go. You're not going to be making 400whp reliably on a GS-R block with stock sleeves no matter what pistons or rods you run.

VTEC cams don't fit in non-VTEC heads. And non-VTEC heads will not work on VTEC blocks without some modification.

400whp can be achieved with a built B18A/B, again there is no reason to get a B18C block. Hell, 400whp has been done on a STOCK LS head including TB and IM. Find out what cams you have too... if they are an N/A grind, they may cost you hp and drivability instead of gaining you anything. N/A cams = long duration and lots of overlap. Turbo cams = shorter duration and minimal overlap.
Now that is some very good info.

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
White98LS said:

GSR blocks are better for high RPMs, but not neccessarily for turbo setups. I'm kind of interested in how much power it can take on stock sleeves, though. I've heard from random sources that 400hp is possible, but has anybody blown an engine at 400hp on stock sleeves?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.