Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know how much it would be to install a b18c5 engine in a crx? anyone know of anyone that does this kind of work? whos this eugene and joe guy i keep hearing about? heard they build race engines for honda.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Expect to pay big $$$ for the B18C5 engine..much around 6-7 gran or more. Swap is the same as any B series. Mounts, shift linkages, axels and hydro clutch mechanism that wasn't stock on any CRX (use 92+ clutch system). (that is if you use the S80 tranny BTW)

My honest opinion, DONT DO IT! Get a B16, build the shit out of it then turbo it..Save $$$, kill V-8s and then be proud.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
wiring up the engine will be the biggest hurdle, and the engine IS worth it.....unless you really want a B16...if you go that route get a SPOON Crate Motor for about 2200

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
CRXtc said:
wiring up the engine will be the biggest hurdle, and the engine IS worth it.....unless you really want a B16...if you go that route get a SPOON Crate Motor for about 2200
Is that $2200 for just the motor??? Also, how much power does it produce and how can you go about gettin one?

Simonkim, the swap is worth it. If you got the $$$ then go for it. The problem will be wiring and possibly clearance with the hood. Expect to pay around $5000 for the motor, tranny, and ecu. I dont know how much labor will cost, I'm still trying to find out myself.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
88 rex said:
If you got the $$$ then go for it. The problem will be wiring and possibly clearance with the hood. myself.
shouldn't be a problem with the zc hood, it has clearance for b series motors

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
j4yd333hm said:
shouldn't be a problem with the zc hood, it has clearance for b series motors
This statement is wrong so ignore it! ^^^^^

The ZC hood only allows for the bump on the DOHC D-series motors not for the whole valve cover of a B-series. You will need to shim the engine mounts with washers and longer bolts or cut the bracing out of your hood or use an SIR look-a-like hood for the motor to fit. Especially since we are talking about a B18C5 which has a taller deck hieght I believe than the B16 hence making it a taller motor and having even more fitment problems. The best solution is to get the fake SIR hood from whoever makes it. Someone has talkied about it a few times on this site although I have no idea where you could buy one. A real SIR hood won't fit because of many issues but mainly because of the headlights being different lengths. Good luck on your swap!

·
Registered
194 Posts
CRXtc said:
unless you really want a B16...if you go that route get a SPOON Crate Motor for about 2200
Why would anybody buy a spoon crate motor is they arent going to be racing in endurance races? It's just not worth it... And where the hell do you find them for $2200?

PRICING IS AS FOLLOWS:

B16A ENGINE ASSEMBLY -- $5,880.00 <------
B16B ENGINE ASSEMBLY -- $6,125.00
B18C ENGINE ASSEMBLY -- $6,370.00

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
skidtron89 said:
This statement is wrong so ignore it! ^^^^^

The ZC hood only allows for the bump on the DOHC D-series motors not for the whole valve cover of a B-series. You will need to shim the engine mounts with washers and longer bolts or cut the bracing out of your hood or use an SIR look-a-like hood for the motor to fit. Especially since we are talking about a B18C5 which has a taller deck hieght I believe than the B16 hence making it a taller motor and having even more fitment problems. The best solution is to get the fake SIR hood from whoever makes it. Someone has talkied about it a few times on this site although I have no idea where you could buy one. A real SIR hood won't fit because of many issues but mainly because of the headlights being different lengths. Good luck on your swap!

Simon, he is rite, ZC hood will not fit. You need a "bump up" hood, like the SiR hood. Our USDM hoods are "bump down"

If you notice, the middle section of the hood "bumps up" as opposed to this

---Sorry no pic, just take a look at your car.

·
Registered
771 Posts
theres a person here who runs a company called Element Motorsports who told me they could get the motor, ecu, tranny, linkage, fuel rails, etc. for around 3900 w/o axles.. but also said they could probably get the axles.. he runs around on superhonda too, check the search feature..

·
Registered
194 Posts
CRXType-R said:
Expect to pay big $$$ for the B18C5 engine..much around 6-7 gran or more. B]

You are talking canadian $$$, right? Because anybody that pays 6-7k for an itr engine should be shot unless it's brand new... You can walk in to jdmhondaparts down south and pick up a type r engine for $4900...

My honest opinion, DONT DO IT! Get a B16, build the shit out of it then turbo it..
By the time you 'build the shit' out of a b16 you are going to end up spending just as much money as a b18c5 swap would cost and you would more likely than not sacrifice reliability.

Save $$$, kill V-8s and then be proud.
Even with the b18c5 swap you would beat quite a few v-8's...

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
introducing Mr.B18C5 std himself MACKY heheh ok here is by buddy whom i have spoke of before he will inform u guys of the swap OBD2 and all

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can find used B18C Spec R engines for around $4800. I believe there was a post on this board that listed how much money it would take to make a B16 produce more power, and it cost more than buying the R motor if you plan on going N/A, so I can't understand why people say build up the B16, its not worth it N/A, eventually what one realizes is that they have to step up the displacement, especially in all-motor, turbo is another story.

You can use a cable B-series tranny, that is the easiest way, but it is a PITA when your synchros are gone and the rebuild kits are only available in Japan. The Hydro conversion adds about a day to the swap and about $300 to the total cost, I would recommend it over the cables I've driven anyday.
Hydro Conversion Guide
http://**********.com/zerothread?id=220712 (insert h o n d a - t e c h . com where u see ****

For electronics you can go two ways, using a chipped P28 or converting the car to OBDII. I converted the car to OBDII so I could pass emissions in any state I choose, and I get to use the ITR ecu. This costs about $800 for the wiring, ECU. You can switch to the P28 but you have to switch all the engine components to OBD1. Things like the Dist, Injectors, etc. have to be taken from and OBD1 engine. The OBDII conversion lets you semi-plug-n-play the ITR gauge cluster too.
ITR Gauge Fitment into an ED/EF
http://**********.com/zerothread?id=200355 ( same here)

ITR cat bolts up to any EF exhaust, you can use an Injen CAI for a 88-91 if you don't want to move the Battery, or an Iceman if you don't mind moving the Batt.

BTW, my car:
http://**********.com/zerothread?id=161021(same here)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
because the SPOON crate motor is balanced and blueprinted from the spoon factory, thus making it a better motor in much better shape then the ones that you get because it would have 0 miles on it. As for the price i finally got to check the site today and it went up to about 3g, and that is just for the motor. The motor puts out about 190-200hp. As for the CR-VTEC swap, don't do it unless you like rebuilding engines, this has been talked about over and over again and i used to be all for it, but since i have seen a few LS-VTEC's blow up i really don't think that the swap is worth it. And Josh...as for your pricing...if you pay that much you deserve to get raped like a 15 y/o gurl at a rave on extacy because that is way to much fucking money for a B16A...i can get a whole front cut for cheaper then that (that means the whole front end with the motor)....shit the price was like 1500 for a front cut, shit you can get a spoon crate B18C for cheaper then your prices Josh....check out this site
www.takakaira.com
may your wet dreams come true after you see this site

·
Registered
467 Posts
Josh said:
By the time you 'build the shit' out of a b16 you are going to end up spending just as much money as a b18c5 swap would cost and you would more likely than not sacrifice reliability.
what the hell is that anything to do with reliability, I'm talking about building the sleeve and rods like JG sleeves and crower rods. Its the same price for B16 B18C...BTW when your done building the B16 for turbo and for much less (cost of engine), your gonna kill the B18C in N/A or turbo forms and listen here, BE MORE RELIABLE AND SAFER because of the 1.74 rod ratio..

Plus, cheap & availability of replacement parts
no hood clearance problems
no OBD-II problem for going stand alone

In N/A I must say the B18C should be a better performer but hey theres no way its a good investment if your going turbo.

my 02 cents

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
i will tell you exactly how much it costs to ship the daymn thing, and i tell you i can get a b16a front cut that is already stateside for 1500.....but the spoon price shipped to my door is (w/o tranny and ECU, which are easy to come by) would probably be some cash, the site wants me to call japan to find out how much it would cost, still it would be cheaper then 5g......and as i said b4 FRONT CUT for 1500.....thats and EF8 front end w/ motor tranny ecu...etc

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
twofacedsir said:
how much better times do you think the B18c5 should do against he B16? This being N/A for both engines.
Stock or built??? Stock the B16 should be high 14 - low 15........B18c5 should be in the 13's.

If built then anything is possible, just remember though that the c5 will have more tourque, not much more, but more.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts