Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i was looking into building up a B18c5 motor but i havent had much luck on just finding the block. i have looked in the classifieds on this site and ebay only has complete ones. or they just have the B16. i was wondering if anyone could help me out with this one. Thank You

· Registered
1,923 Posts
ok...you want to build up the motor...or build the b18c5 by buying it a piece at a time?
if you want to build it up i dont see why you would not get a used one and rebuild it to handle more power...still seems cheaper than buying a block and then buying a cylinder head separately...
if you get the whole engine you can always sell off the parts that you don't need...type-r parts still have good value when used.

· Registered
10,424 Posts
Ok I just have to give my 2 cents here. The B18C5 is not worth it. The B18C5 will cost you somewhere around $5500, and for what 20 Hp. The B18C1 will set you back $3500. if you ask me it is know where near worth spending $2000 for 20Hp. I say take the B18C1, and the $2000 and buy some productive power adders. Something that will get you more than 20Hp. Now don’t get me wrong the B18C5 is wonderful, I just don’t think its worth it

· Registered
73 Posts
ich_folge said:
Ok I just have to give my 2 cents here. The B18C5 is not worth it. The B18C5 will cost you somewhere around $5500, and for what 20 Hp. The B18C1 will set you back $3500. if you ask me it is know where near worth spending $2000 for 20Hp. I say take the B18C1, and the $2000 and buy some productive power adders. Something that will get you more than 20Hp. Now don’t get me wrong the B18C5 is wonderful, I just don’t think its worth it
Your forgetting that there is much more to the B18C5. Balanced and blue-printed, 8 counterweighted crankshaft, oil squirters, ported head, dual valvesprings, ligytweight valves, etc... too much to list but it is a better built motor.

· Registered
868 Posts
As nice as it would be to pop your hood and show off that you have an Integra Type R motor under there, it's really not worth that extra $2000. What I would suggest is making the "poor mans type r". Get yourself a b18c1, Skunk2 intake manifold, JDM 4-1 Headers and maybe some higher CR pistions. Work on the cams/valvetrain a bit. You should be able to do all that with the $2000 you saved, and it would be faster than the type r motor. Just a thought....

· Registered
10,424 Posts
Just do a B18C5 cheater head. Its just a B16A head with a slight Port and Polish,0.5 over on the valves, and dual valve springs. oh ya and better cams. Thin if you get higher compression pistons ya got a C5 cheater. That can all be done with $2000, plus you can port out the head to flow better than an C5, Plus getting better cams (say some stage 3 from Crower) will be better than the ITR cams. In the long run you can make more power with that $2000 if you get the B18C1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.