Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 90 acura integra ls and it has a bad b18a1 in it. i was wanting to put a b20 in it, but i don't know if the b20 will bolt to my factory b18 tranny. do i need to change the tranny,ecu, or wiring harness. if this motor will bolt to my original stuff what b20 would be best. i am looking to frankinstien the b20 to other parts to make my integra perform like the sports car i believe it can be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,969 Posts
Its a direct swap. Just make sure you use the clutch from youre cable tranny, and not a clutch from a hydro. Other than that, it will bolt right in.

Oh, and dont boost it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29,826 Posts
Dropatbirth13 said:
thanks for the info and whats wrong with turbo that motor ?
high ass compression and honda motors aren't meant to be boosted. so you must tune them right and run the proper parts. now don't get me wrong i didn't say they can't make power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,969 Posts
WVU97GS-R said:
high ass compression and honda motors aren't meant to be boosted. so you must tune them right and run the proper parts. now don't get me wrong i didn't say they can't make power.
Actually, on the contrary, the compression ratio for the B20 is near ideal for a turbo setup. The reason you cant turbo a B20 is because it has very thin cylinder walls. Its simply a bored out B18B, so the cylinder walls are thinner to give it that .2L extra displacement.

You can boost B20's... but you need to have them sleeved first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Sirfallsalot243 said:
Actually, on the contrary, the compression ratio for the B20 is near ideal for a turbo setup. The reason you cant turbo a B20 is because it has very thin cylinder walls. Its simply a bored out B18B, so the cylinder walls are thinner to give it that .2L extra displacement.

You can boost B20's... but you need to have them sleeved first.
werd
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29,826 Posts
Sirfallsalot243 said:
Actually, on the contrary, the compression ratio for the B20 is near ideal for a turbo setup. The reason you cant turbo a B20 is because it has very thin cylinder walls. Its simply a bored out B18B, so the cylinder walls are thinner to give it that .2L extra displacement.

You can boost B20's... but you need to have them sleeved first.
with a b16 head he said. what would the CR be with that? nevermind my bad fellas. i though he said b20 with a b16 head. i could've swore i saw it somewhere. but yeah i know about the cylinder walls that's why i said about them not being built for it. you and the dude with the tsx were arguing about it a couple months ago
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,969 Posts
DrivinVtec said:
blah!!! you can boost a b20 with a good tune. I had buddy runnning a strait b20 no vtec. Fucking beast. I think still to this day it ruuning. ARP headstuds an a good gasket. :tu
Just because people do it doesnt make it a good idea. :rolleyes

WVU97GS-R said:
what would be the CR witha b16 head

B20 Block with B16 Head and B20B Pistons- 9.28:1 CR
B20 Block with B16 Head and B20Z Pistons- 10.1:1

Both still pretty low. Boostable, anyway.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29,826 Posts
Sirfallsalot243 said:
Just because people do it doesnt make it a good idea. :rolleyes




B20 Block with B16 Head and B20B Pistons- 9.28:1 CR
B20 Block with B16 Head and B20Z Pistons- 10.1:1

Both still pretty low. Boostable, anyway.
10.1:1 isn't low CR. anything between 8.5:1 and 9.3:1 would be considered smart to boost. :D
p.s. when are we gonna race so i we can put this boost v.s. n/a argument to rest ;-) my stock motor vs your modded motor.
:ninja
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29,826 Posts
DrivinVtec said:
blah!!! you can boost a b20 with a good tune. I had buddy runnning a strait b20 no vtec. Fucking beast. I think still to this day it ruuning. ARP headstuds an a good gasket. :tu
good for you. i've seen a motor still run after 15K miles with no oil changes. it's possible just not smart. you can boost any motor with a good tune but why take a short cut and risk your money and your motor?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29,826 Posts
DrivinVtec said:
Why isnt it a good idea.? Tune...TUNE!!!! you can boost all day long on 10.1...thats just faster spoolin, but tune is more criticle.

whats this about NA vs Turbo? Im an na guy, well i was. whats the shizzle on this?
hehe he lives near me and is building b18c1 and i have an sr20 and we are supposed to race. btw duh you can tune anything to run right. some approaches are smarter than others and marjin of error decreases with higher CR. because you'll make more reliable and still usuable power with 9.3:1 even though you'll have to run a little more boost to make the same power. I'm not saying kill your low-end response and go to 8.5:1 Cr just to make 200whp but 10:1 is on the high side of things
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,969 Posts
WVU97GS-R said:
10.1:1 isn't low CR. anything between 8.5:1 and 9.3:1 would be considered smart to boost. :D
p.s. when are we gonna race so i we can put this boost v.s. n/a argument to rest ;-) my stock motor vs your modded motor.
:ninja
10.1:1 is a GSR's stock CR, which is "boostable." Point being, it isnt the CR that makes the B20 unboostable.

And well race as soon as I get this fuckin motor back from my shop. Theyre dragging their feet, and its REALLY pissin me off. Damn thing has been at the machine shop for a month.

Me and a few guys are going to englishtown sometime in August- I think I told you. Youre welcome to join us. Ill put that 240 in its place. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,299 Posts
WVU97GS-R said:
hehe he lives near me and is building b18c1 and i have an sr20 and we are supposed to race. btw duh you can tune anything to run right. some approaches are smarter than others and marjin of error decreases with higher CR. because you'll make more reliable and still usuable power with 9.3:1 even though you'll have to run a little more boost to make the same power. I'm not saying kill your low-end response and go to 8.5:1 Cr just to make 200whp but 10:1 is on the high side of things
so you have a sr20 highly modded i take it? I ran a fully built b20 a wax my sure faily modded sr20's. boost lagg is bitch against a fully built tuned b seires. good luck man


















wax that ass. ;)
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top