Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would a b20 head be any good on my b18a1 any help or just the same as far as power what do you guys think thx ray.

·
Registered
33,541 Posts
i havnt seen it done, i dont know if you would gain much of anything, or if you would loose power, i imagine if it made power, there would be more people doing it tho

·
Registered
74 Posts
i believe they are exactly the same!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys i figured it probably wouldnt make a difference since its non vtec.thx ray.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i know thats what im looking for a vtec head and finish the swap into my 89 hatch baseline should be fun.

·
Registered
74 Posts
fuco8210 said:
dosnt the b20b makes alittle less power then the b18a
you are correct the b20b makes 126hp but the b18a1 90-91 makes 130hp and 92-93 makes 140hp but the b20b has 133lb ft torque and the b18 has 121lb ft.

they are basically the same motor but the b20 has 84mm bore and the b18a1 has the regular 81mm b-series bore.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also this is a b20z head dont know if that would make a difference anyways thx for all the info guys and if anybody has a vtec head they want to get rid of cheap please take pity on me and let me know thx ray. :eek:

·
Registered
624 Posts
geoff19crx said:
if anything you would lose power by losing some compression. the combustion chamber is larger in the b20 than the b18a.
True, but the next question would be: NA or FI? :D

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
ray ray said:
also this is a b20z head dont know if that would make a difference anyways thx for all the info guys and if anybody has a vtec head they want to get rid of cheap please take pity on me and let me know thx ray. :eek:
the B20Z head will give a higher c/r,the b20b c/r is 8.8 to 1 and the B20Z c/r is 9.6 to 1,the power is mainly in the top end but is only good till about 6700rpm where the TQ falls off.The TQ is also raised a good 10ft lbs after 4000rpms over the B20b.

It's a good combo if you ask me and would make great power turbo'd,plus you dont see to many people getting enough tq out of a honda I4 but you allready have right at 150 ft lbs to the crank to start with which would spool a turbo pretty good

·
Registered
359 Posts
i feel the b20z would be pointless unless accompanied with resleeving the engine or forced induction. the diameter of the combustion chamber in the b20 head is larger than the bore of the b18a/b, therefore you would lose compression (hp to).

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
geoff19crx said:
i feel the b20z would be pointless unless accompanied with resleeving the engine or forced induction. the diameter of the combustion chamber in the b20 head is larger than the bore of the b18a/b, therefore you would lose compression (hp to).
he is talking about a B20Z head on a B18B

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it is a b18a1 bottom end and the head is a b20z head

·
Registered
22 Posts
it would be pointless to put that head on a b18 becused the cumbustion chambers are larger and you will have less compresion and less air flow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts