Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a b16A1 should i ditch my block and put the b20 long block is it a big improvement is it a good comboif tuboing will be in future plans!? :confused

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
b20 vtecs are very good for turbo applications but if you already have a good b16, ill say you shouldnt gut it out for a conversion. buy a head and block elsewhere for your b20 and use your b16 for now, its more fun than you think.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
pretty large. The b20 not only has more displacement but it's stroke is considerably longer...so that makes much more torque.

However...for a turbo application b20's aren't good at all unless you resleeve them. Their stock sleeves are known to crack..they are designed very poorly.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
maacb16 said:
i have a b16A1 should i ditch my block and put the b20 long block is it a big improvement is it a good comboif tuboing will be in future plans!? :confused
Swapping out a B16A for a B20 longblock will net you anywhere from a 12 to 42 horsepower loss, depending on which particular engine models they are.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Targa250R said:
Swapping out a B16A for a B20 longblock will net you anywhere from a 12 to 42 horsepower loss, depending on which particular engine models they are.

WTF?? otherway around don't you mean? b20 VTEC is a beast... Some guy here in Jersey is unbeatable with his CRVTEC EK Hatch, All Motor boooy.. His Hatch just screeams all the way to 9K.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
raceinspiration said:
I'm guessing that it's just a typo...since when does more displacement mean less power for a Honda...?
A USDM B20Bx longblock is rated at 126hp and a USDM B20Zx longblock is rated at 146hp. A 1st-gen JDM B16A longblock is 158hp, a 2nd-gen JDM B16A longblock is 168hp, and a USDM B16A3/B16A2 longblock is 160hp. You can do the math.

More displacement means more torque, but not necessarily more power - since power is a function of both torque and RPM.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
the title of the thread is b20VTEC. not should I switch out a b16 longblock for a b20 longblock.

jeez. You guys knew what he meant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.