Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,222 Posts
HaUTSaauce said:

i would have to disaggre with that
yes in a way it is because first you have to buy the whole b20 engine from the junkyard, then usually you also have to buy the whole b18c/b16a engine (usually if you just find the head by itself it's been stolen). you can't sell the b16/b18c block for too much, and same for the b20 head. you basically buy 2 engines to make 1.

· Registered
264 Posts
so your tellin me it is cheaper to rip apart two engines, to build one...after you finish yankin it out the car...

than to..

just replacing the old B18B with a B20Z....???

tell me how exactly this is possibly cheaper?....

what one will have to do is look into it..

1. no matter what, the labour of taking the motor out and puttin another in, is to be paid...
2. labour i rippin two motors apart is more, and then tryin to sell left over parts no one needs is a pain.
3.if you rip the motors apart, you will still have to buy the second motor to do the rippin...
4.if you just get the B20 and drop it in...you will just be buyin the motor, and payin the labour of the swap.....without additional work and pain of rippin motors apart.
5.it all depends on how steep you pocket is....

6.do what you want

· Registered
2,222 Posts
chingro said:
so your tellin me it is cheaper to rip apart two engines, to build one...after you finish yankin it out the car...

than to..

just replacing the old B18B with a B20Z....???

tell me how exactly this is possibly cheaper?....

what one will have to do is look into it..

1. no matter what, the labour of taking the motor out and puttin another in, is to be paid...
2. labour i rippin two motors apart is more, and then tryin to sell left over parts no one needs is a pain.
3.if you rip the motors apart, you will still have to buy the second motor to do the rippin...
4.if you just get the B20 and drop it in...you will just be buyin the motor, and payin the labour of the swap.....without additional work and pain of rippin motors apart.
5.it all depends on how steep you pocket is....

6.do what you want
actually i said the opposite of that. i had said that it's cheaper to make a b18c a 2.0 liter than to make a b20/vtec. i messed up though, because that's not what the dude asked. he was just asking about just dropping the b20 in w/o a vtec head.

· Registered
408 Posts
If you are talking about replacing a B18A/B18B with a B20B/B20Z vs resleeving a B18A/B18B to 84mm, it is MUCH cheaper to just get the B20 longblock. I got my B20Z for $1000. And this is about how much it costs to resleeve a block to 84mm. But this figure does not include pistons or labor to tear down the engine (if you can't DIY).

It would also cost more to resleeve a GSR than build a CR-VTEC. At least here in California, GSR changeovers fetch a premium - close to $4000. This is less than you would pay for a B20 longblock, quality internals, and B16A top end stuff. And let's not forget that this $4000 does not include resleeving to 84mm.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
b20?

Thanx guys you have been a big help. I currently have the b16a1 in the car so I have the head needed for the swap, so now I have to sell the block. I just purchased an h23a lude si, what dose any body think about that conversion? Thanx for the link to the engine importer.
:D

· Registered
2,222 Posts
Re: b20?

cain said:
Thanx guys you have been a big help. I currently have the b16a1 in the car so I have the head needed for the swap, so now I have to sell the block. I just purchased an h23a lude si, what dose any body think about that conversion? Thanx for the link to the engine importer.
:D
b16 head won't fit on a h23 block

· Registered
2,222 Posts
StorminMatt said:
If you are talking about replacing a B18A/B18B with a B20B/B20Z vs resleeving a B18A/B18B to 84mm, it is MUCH cheaper to just get the B20 longblock. I got my B20Z for $1000. And this is about how much it costs to resleeve a block to 84mm. But this figure does not include pistons or labor to tear down the engine (if you can't DIY).

It would also cost more to resleeve a GSR than build a CR-VTEC. At least here in California, GSR changeovers fetch a premium - close to $4000. This is less than you would pay for a B20 longblock, quality internals, and B16A top end stuff. And let's not forget that this $4000 does not include resleeving to 84mm.
about the gsr vs. crvtec: you said 1K for b20 longblock; then another 500-800 for vtec head; 700-1000 for tranny; ~500 for little stuff like ecu, starter, alternator, etc; then lots (don't know exactly how much) for labor, like putting in the oil squirters, taking apart the block and engine, then putting all this together, then putting it in the car (i'm assuming it's 4K for the gsr engine installed, since they cost 3-3.5K). that's also around 4K, which makes sense to do the crvtec at first, but then you have the infamous reliability problems. unless you have some totally awesome shop do it for you, they probably won't do everything right, so you'll have problems like oil leaks, among others, which means you'll be constantly spending $ to fix the probs. also, the gsr pistons can withstand higher rpms becuase of the shorter strokes.

· Registered
1,366 Posts
get the b20 and when/if you have the extra $$ you can resleeve and overbore and make it a 2.2. then throw some nice cams in it that will work with the block/VTEC head for max torque and hp.

and of course the needed bolt-ons like i/h/e and tuning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.